Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 12:28 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,400,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHofKS View Post
RESIDENTIAL - I don't know about Austin, but Nashville has added a large amount of residential high-rise buildings in both districts but is about to 'explode' even more with such growth. As many as 50 residential buildings over 15 stories are either under construction or planned in the near future.
Looking at the population densities, Nashville is easily the least-dense of these three residentially. The most dense census track near downtown Nashville is around Music Row / Vandy, and it only gets to about 12k ppsqm. Charlotte goes as high as 28k ppsqm and Austin actually gets all the way to 72k ppsqm in this area of West Campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 11:43 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,324,811 times
Are we including DC/Baltimore in this?

*asking for obvious reasons*

Old 05-06-2022, 06:14 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
That’s a good list!

Within Florida I’d rank it as follows:
1. Miami / Miami Beach
2. St. Petersburg
2. Orlando
4. Tampa
5. Ft Lauderdale
6. Jacksonville
7. Sarasota

St Pete and Orlando are about even right now. Sarasota is last here, but it’s better than you’d think for a city that size so it might crack the top 30 in the Southern US.

Looking outside of FL, I think you have Greenville underrated. It’s pretty good, roughly on par with Charleston.
This is my take on Florida as well. Orlando and St. Pete are definitely above Ft Lauderdale. Tampa, a bit more debatable, as its core is still quite lacking.
Orlando has been making huge strides these past two decades, if only overlooked due to its relative lack of highrises. Multiple stadiums, performing arts centers, highly walkable throughout... Just needs to step it up in terms of retail, which is likely soon to change with the new Creative Village and UCF campus popping up on the west side.

I'd actually add in West Palm Beach to this list, and either place it before or after Tampa, above Fort Lauderdale.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:00 AM

128 posts, read 72,212 times
Quote:
Which cities have the top amenities for residential, office, entertainment, hospitality and retail, in the southern US? If you combine their downtown and midtown areas--if the city has a district defined as such.

My top rankings would go like this, in 2022, in my opinion:

30 El Paso

29 Greenville

28 Knoxville

27 Virginia Beach

26 Winston Salem

25 Little Rock

24 Savannah

23 Chattanooga

22 Louisville

21 Jacksonville

20 Raleigh

19 Fort Worth

18 Oklahoma City

17 Charleston

16 Memphis

15 Birmingham

14 Orlando

13 Richmond

12 Tampa

11 St Petersburg

10 Fort Lauderdale

9 San Antonio

8 Austin

7 Nashville

6 Charlotte

5 New Orleans

4 Houston

3 Dallas

2 Atlanta

1 Miami

Thoughts and opinions?
Does Virginia Beach include Norfolk or was the ranking based on Virginia Beach alone? Even Virginia Beach alone should probably be at least ranked above Chattanooga. Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia by population and is also a major east coast tourist destination. It should really be top 10 based on hospitality and entertainment. Not to mention it has a pretty strong office market with the development of Town center. Between Town center and the Oceanfront district it certainly offers as much as Ft. Lauderdale or St. Petersburg.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
Does Virginia Beach include Norfolk or was the ranking based on Virginia Beach alone? Even Virginia Beach alone should probably be at least ranked above Chattanooga. Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia by population and is also a major east coast tourist destination. It should really be top 10 based on hospitality and entertainment. Not to mention it has a pretty strong office market with the development of Town center. Between Town center and the Oceanfront district it certainly offers as much as Ft. Lauderdale or St. Petersburg.
As much as Ft Lauderdale, I can agree with.
St. Pete? Nah. Not close.
St. Pete is ranked too low on that list.
Ft Lauderdale way too high. West Palm Beach should be included in that list, as it is (IMO) easily South Florida's second busiest, most robust "downtown" area, after Miami. Ft Lauderdale's downtown doesn't have much going on, quite possibly hampered by being too close to Miami.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:29 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Norfolk has a very pretty and very tourist friendly downtown. I’d squeeze it in around 16th or so on the original ranking.

The city of Virginia Beach as a destination has a whole lot to offer, there isn’t a downtown though so I’m not sure why it made the list.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:46 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Which cities have the top amenities for residential, office, entertainment, hospitality and retail, in the southern US? If you combine their downtown and midtown areas--if the city has a district defined as such.

My top rankings would go like this, in 2022, in my opinion:

30 El Paso

29 Greenville

28 Knoxville

27 Virginia Beach

26 Winston Salem

25 Little Rock

24 Savannah

23 Chattanooga

22 Louisville

21 Jacksonville

20 Raleigh

19 Fort Worth

18 Oklahoma City

17 Charleston

16 Memphis

15 Birmingham

14 Orlando

13 Richmond

12 Tampa

11 St Petersburg

10 Fort Lauderdale

9 San Antonio

8 Austin

7 Nashville

6 Charlotte

5 New Orleans

4 Houston

3 Dallas

2 Atlanta

1 Miami

Thoughts and opinions?
I'd add Columbus, GA in the mix. It's an up and coming under-the-radar city with a great UpTown and the longest urban whitewater course in America.

www.alwaysuptown.com

www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.

www.nationalinfantrymuseum.org

Old 05-06-2022, 11:15 AM

719 posts, read 493,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think by 2030, Nashville and Austin will be ahead of Charlotte, with most of these metrics.

The way both cities are booming with hotels, residential and even office--it is leading many hotspot restaurants, bars, and heavy hitting retail to come to both cities.

Charlotte is continuing to grow very fast too, but I think the differentiator between Charlotte and Nashville/Austin, is that Charlotte does not have that tourist/entertainment/excitement branding that the others do.

Also, since so much of Charlotte is focused on the financial sector, a lot of their growth rises and falls with how that sector is doing. They have been diversifying much more the past decade or so, but they still are a heavy finance city.

You guys have no idea about Charlotte at all. Neither one of those cities cores is better than Charlottes core or will pass it in the next few either. Charlote is ahead of both right now and is adding on and growing as we speak. Charlotte's core includes downtown, Midtown, SouthEnd, NoDa, Plaza MidWood, Dilworth, Wilmore, Wesley Heights, Enderly, Camp North End, etc... Charlotte's light rail extends Charlotte's core for miles beyond Nashville or Austin. These are both fine cities but, they are not there yet....

Old 05-06-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
You guys have no idea about Charlotte at all. Neither one of those cities cores is better than Charlottes core or will pass it in the next few either. Charlote is ahead of both right now and is adding on and growing as we speak. Charlotte's core includes downtown, Midtown, SouthEnd, NoDa, Plaza MidWood, Dilworth, Wilmore, Wesley Heights, Enderly, Camp North End, etc... Charlotte's light rail extends Charlotte's core for miles beyond Nashville or Austin. These are both fine cities but, they are not there yet....
C-D loves to boost cities with highrise construction, ignoring the fact that midrise infill, corporate presence, proper transit, etc., all contribute far more to an urban core than a few tall buildings (which Charlotte isn't lacking either.)
Major sunbelt cities are all exploding. Nashville and Austin seem to be the main ones being talked about here (again, due to highrises.) But Orlando, Charlotte, Raleigh, Tampa... All are booming just as fast, if not faster, than Nashville, and are right behind Austin.

Guaranteed the counterargument you will get from your post will involve highrises. Charlotte is exploding, and is looking more and more like Atlanta with each passing year.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:32 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
With my limited time in Austin and many many time in Charlotte, Austin definitely has a better core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City