Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 01:01 PM

719 posts, read 493,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
With my limited time in Austin and many many time in Charlotte, Austin definitely has a better core.
I didnt see this at all and I was just in Austin in September.Austin has a very nice core however, Charlotte is just as nice

Last edited by QC Dreaming 2; 05-06-2022 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 02:55 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
With my limited time in Austin and many many time in Charlotte, Austin definitely has a better core.
Agreed...so does Nashville. Much more interesting, much more active, much nicer street-level experience and street-level architecture. Charlotte looks great passing by on I-77 at night, but actually being downtown on the streets is....a much different experience.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:13 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Tampa, a bit more debatable, as its core is still quite lacking.
Yeah, Tampa is hard to judge. It has a good sized urban footprint, but it’s spread out too much. Someone who lives in Channelside probably isn’t waking over to Tampa Heights though it’s one contiguous urban area.
Quote:
I'd actually add in West Palm Beach to this list, and either place it before or after Tampa, above Fort Lauderdale.
I made a mistake leaving off WPB. The last time I was there was about 5 years ago and it was starting to come together pretty well. At that time I think Sarasota may have still been better, but I’m sure WPB has improved a lot since. I’m not sure where it stands on the list at this point but it should have been included.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:18 PM

719 posts, read 493,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Agreed...so does Nashville. Much more interesting, much more active, much nicer street-level experience and street-level architecture. Charlotte looks great passing by on I-77 at night, but actually being downtown on the streets is....a much different experience.
So u haven't really experienced Charlotte at night especially Wednesday to Sunday because it's crowded and it extends way beyond uptown. The core includes SouthEnd, Plaza Midwood, Music Factory, etc and all those other spots and neighborhoods that I mentioned. I gotta post pictures lol. Yall trippin...

Old 05-06-2022, 03:27 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Are we including DC/Baltimore in this?

*asking for obvious reasons*
They're both southern cities.

That being said, I actually like Midtown Baltimore. Great architecture, cultural district, and arts college (MICA) school of the Arts, the BSO. The Original Washington Monument. Diverse neighborhood, with a diverse selection of restaurants.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:52 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Yeah, Tampa is hard to judge. It has a good sized urban footprint, but it’s spread out too much. Someone who lives in Channelside probably isn’t waking over to Tampa Heights though it’s one contiguous urban area.

I made a mistake leaving off WPB. The last time I was there was about 5 years ago and it was starting to come together pretty well. At that time I think Sarasota may have still been better, but I’m sure WPB has improved a lot since. I’m not sure where it stands on the list at this point but it should have been included.
Right. I hope Tampa can get it together. Terrific urban footprint, but so much empty space, and quite frankly, just not easy to navigate.

As for WPB… It’s nothing to write home about, but it does a great job in terms of having decent retail, and being surprisingly walkable — something I found Ft Lauderdale to be sorely lacking in during my visit last weekend.

I don't know... All three (Tampa, WPB, and Ft Lauderdale) could do much better overall, considering how well Orlando and St Pete do in this department... I guess really it's a toss-up for me between those three, fighting for a spot above Jacksonville and Sarasota.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-06-2022 at 04:06 PM..

Old 05-06-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
So u haven't really experienced Charlotte at night especially Wednesday to Sunday because it's crowded and it extends way beyond uptown. The core includes SouthEnd, Plaza Midwood, Music Factory, etc and all those other spots and neighborhoods that I mentioned. I gotta post pictures lol. Yall trippin...
What's your exact definition of "core" in this context? I enjoy the 5-7 block (depending on your surely liberal definition of "block") stretch of Plaza Midwood's 1 street of activity, but to call it part of 100 N. Tryon St.'s "core" is disingenuous at best. I won't even dignify your "Music Factory = core" section with a response because after reading such a statement, I can only assume you are quite young and have never actually been to a true city. Your only frame of reference seems to be Charlotte, so I do understand why you think it's the end-all-be-all of southern US happenings given its admittedly impressive interstate-drive-by-skyline!

Last edited by LordHelmit; 05-06-2022 at 05:15 PM..

Old 05-06-2022, 05:13 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
What's your exact definition of "core" in this context? I enjoy the 5-7 block (depending on your surely liberal definition of "block") stretch of Plaza Midwood's 1 street of activity, but to call it part of 100 Tryon's "core" is disingenuous at best. I won't even dignify your "Music Factory = core" section with a response.
I'll chime in... Tryon has a more... Urban flare, I guess you could call it? Perhaps it's the corporate presence during the day, the student life at night, the nearby transit, etc.
It feels like an actual "city." Something I am just not finding in Nashville quite yet. Nashville reminds me more of a mashup of Orlando's I-Drive (Broadway) meets its Downtown (locals.) It just doesn't have that city lifestyle that Charlotte has.
That's just me though.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I'll chime in... Tyron has a more... Urban flare, I guess you could call it? Perhaps it's the corporate presence during the day, the student life at night, the nearby transit, etc.
It feels like an actual "city." Something I am just not finding in Nashville quite yet. Nashville reminds me more of a mashup of Orlando's I-Drive (Broadway) meets its Downtown (locals.) It just doesn't have that city lifestyle that Charlotte has.
That's just me though.
I feel ya. There is no question that Tryon in Charlotte has tall buildings and a M-F 9-5 "flare" to give you that big city urban canyon view and feel, but this thread is about Best Midtown/Downtown areas and I guess my standards are different than a normal CBD? I've lived in LA, lower Manhattan, Brooklyn and Boston and more, and spent tons of time in southern cities, so Tryon @ Trade etc is just a 9-5 corporate vibe at its best and dead at its worst. I would MUCH rather be on Broadway in Nashville or 6th St in Austin, or really any of the surrounding areas, than I would be in the heart of uptown Charlotte where nothing at all is happening. That's just me, though. I understand people have different peferences.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:41 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Which cities have the top amenities for residential, office, entertainment, hospitality and retail, in the southern US? If you combine their downtown and midtown areas--if the city has a district defined as such.

My top rankings would go like this, in 2022, in my opinion:

30 El Paso

29 Greenville

28 Knoxville

27 Virginia Beach

26 Winston Salem

25 Little Rock

24 Savannah

23 Chattanooga

22 Louisville

21 Jacksonville

20 Raleigh

19 Fort Worth

18 Oklahoma City

17 Charleston

16 Memphis

15 Birmingham

14 Orlando

13 Richmond

12 Tampa

11 St Petersburg

10 Fort Lauderdale

9 San Antonio

8 Austin

7 Nashville

6 Charlotte

5 New Orleans

4 Houston

3 Dallas

2 Atlanta

1 Miami

Thoughts and opinions?
This is a breakdown of number of walkable neighborhoods with at least a 80 Walkscore rating followed by population within those areas combined. Some cities have better Downtowns and Midtowns than others. I think walk scores tells us how walkable a city regardless of title for neighborhoods. Here I go with my list.

Miami 4 neighborhoods with 117310

New Orleans 20 neighborhoods with 95651

Austin 9 neighborhoods with 57406

Atlanta 13 neighborhoods with 48826

Dallas has 6 neighborhoods with 40680

Richmond 11 neighborhoods with 39587

Houston has 2 neighborhoods with 37539

Charleston has 6 neighborhoods with 16807

Savannah has 9 with 15502

Knoxville has 3 neighborhoods with 13098

Ft. Lauderdale has 4 neighborhoods with 10512

Louisville Ky has 3 neighborhoods with 10355

El Paso has 5 neighborhoods with 10276

Orlando has 6 neighborhoods with 9959

Charlotte has 4 neighborhoods with 9749

San Antonio has 2 neighborhoods with 6093

St. Petersburg has 2 neighborhoods with 6075

Nashville has 2 neighborhoods with 5806

Birmingham has 2 neighborhoods with 3872

Oklahoma City has 3 neighborhoods with 3551

Tampa has 2 neighborhoods with 3287

Ft Worth has 1 neighborhood with 761

The ones that where not mentioned do not have any high density areas that are totally walkable.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 05-06-2022 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City