Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2022, 11:27 AM

93,232 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I spent a night in Hazleton PA recently. It felt like I was way out in the boonies but was surprised by how Hispanic and specifically Dominican it was. Reminded me of some of the small cities in MA.
That is a recent dynamic, as two or three decades ago, cultural diversity was pretty much Euro ethnic. NE Pennsylvania has seen a pretty big migration of particularly Hispanic and some black people from NYC and Northern NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 02:53 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is a recent dynamic, as two or three decades ago, cultural diversity was pretty much Euro ethnic. NE Pennsylvania has seen a pretty big migration of particularly Hispanic and some black people from NYC and Northern NJ.
Yeah, lots of former residents of Washington Heights, the Bronx, Paterson and other nearby areas have been heading out that way and the Lehigh Valley for a while now.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:59 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Pennsylvania's largest township and the state's sixth-biggest municipality, Upper Darby, is touting its multiethnic, multinational population as an asset now.

I can think of a time when that wouldn't have been the case — because it wasn't so multiculti.

But I noticed it had taken on a little-United-Nations character when I was working at Widener University in Chester in 2006-07 and would pass through the 69th Street Terminal area, Upper Darby's downtown, on the way home. Oftentimes, I would route my trip that way rather than take the Regional Rail train directly into Center City so I could pick something up at the Korean supermarket that had opened there.

The township has immigrants from all of the other five inhabited continents (well, maybe not Australia) and a dazzling variety of restaurants serving cuisines from all over. (Even European: I recall reading an article about the most authentic Irish restaurant in the region, which was located in UD.)

The township's communications manager pitched me on doing a Community Guide to living in Upper Darby — the first time I'd ever been pitched on one of these. I mentioned this to my colleagues, and they too thought it would be a great idea.

For this one, I will probably go back out to 69th Street and wander around some more. That way, I can experience "The World in One Place" (the township's new motto).

Old 05-30-2022, 09:29 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I'd throw in 'Nawlins, Chicago, and Atlanta.

And for unfavorable add Pittsburgh
That is false. It seems like a lot of you guys are getting your sources from hip hop? You tell most black folks about Chicago and they are already paranoid of going there.

New Orleans might be a good mention tho. Despite having a high murder rate black folks still seem to always want to go and visit and talk highly about it.

Chicago in my opinion gets more positive reviews from white people in my opinion

Old 05-30-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Lot's of blacks are indifferent or hate Philadelphia. You mention Philly, you'll either get an "eww, it's too dirty and dangerous" or "It's alright, I don't hear about it too much though". Most of the love comes from progressive white urbanist.
Philly tends to attract a lot of neo soul types of black folks. Also a lot of black folks utilize Philly as a great place to be close to NYC. Cheap cost of living great paying jobs and you live in a big city like Philly with NYC only being 1.5-2 hours away.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:40 AM

Los Angeles, NYC and Miami are all easily favored by black folks more than many cities that have way higher portions of blacks people.

I base favorable cities based on where black folks like to move and visit.

And yes I’m confident the average blacks person is more thrilled to spend a week in LA and NYC over Memphis

Old 05-30-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Il agree with BBMM on that. Almost every white person I know places Boston in their top 3 favorite city. Literally people (white people) here in Jersey are obsessed with it. For me? Its by far my favorite city on the east coast because its manageable yet bustling, has high quality transportation and bike lanes, clean af, and has amenities i like. Those who like Boston value that. As do those in SF, Seattle, Portland etc.

Ive met two African Americans, non Caribbean, who actually like Boston. And one was because he likes the Celtics lol. Id say Boston is a very even white black city. Although… thats changing very fast
I only associate Boston with Irish whites. There are too many whites who scream “F Boston” for me to view them as a white favorite.

Portland and Seattle at least do not have a whole culture or whites saying “F them”. They legit seemed loved by whites folks.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Precisely! Marketing & Entertainment will always shape places face value. No doubt those cities are in their prime popularity right now but still have the same issues as other cities Black folks frown upon.
Yea it’s unfortunate and I have spoken on this before. I think cities that are viewed as favorable have many contradictions sometimes.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

They’re mainly in West, SW and NE Philly. Theres also a large number of them in Cheltenham. I personally know 8 just from high school.
Yea and a lot of them are from nyc which is why Philly is an easy pick.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some are in Rockland County too.
Oh yes Rockland county is little Haiti as far as the black pop. I’ll just include them with Jersey lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City