Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2022, 10:55 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Places that have a unique pull or push. Meaning mostly or inordinately supported or disliked by a certain racial group compared to the other 2/3.

White Favorable:
Boston
Austin
Denver

Black Favorable:
Detroit
Memphis
Houston

Asian Favorable:
LA
SF
NYC

Hispanic Favorable:
LA
Miami
NYC

White Unfavorable:
Houston
NYC
LA

Black Unfavorable:
Boston
Austin
Portland
SF

Asian Unfavorable:
IDK

Hispanic Unfavorable:
Pittsburgh

Houston/Boston are the best examples of being lauded by white or blacks and then pretty heavily maligned by white/black. The inverse of each other. And two basically polar opposite cities from a settlement/culture/development standpoint. Houston is a new, suburban, integrated, sprawling, hot, featureless, black mayor. Boston is old, highly urban, fairly segregated, minimal sprawl, generally cold, hills/beaches/lakes/rocky, never had an elected black mayor.
I’m not sure that there’s actually an ‘unfavorable’ metro area to whites being that pretty much every metro in the US is mostly white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 11:19 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I’m not sure that there’s actually an ‘unfavorable’ metro area to whites being that pretty much every metro in the US is mostly white.
Favorable = white population is growing
Unfavorable = white population is shrinking

Old 05-24-2022, 11:49 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Favorable = white population is growing
Unfavorable = white population is shrinking
*Not true in the case of Boston.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:00 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Is there no significant Hatian population in Louisana ? You would think with the Creole/Cajun culture there might be something but I guess they are totally different communities with no crossover whatsoever. Vietnamese/Houduran/Mexican is the bulk of the immigrant population . Overall the state has low immigrant population even in NOLA

as far as perceptions Buffalo seems to be adored by the people who live there but looked down on by the rest of the country. Seems to cut across racial lines AFAIK I have seen the buffalove boosters black and white praising their city but lets be honest most people think of it as a dump, especially NYC residents

Alabama also gets DUMPED excessively on by white urbanites. Has to be one of the most maligned states. The type of people who would never dare (intentionally) utter something that could even be possibly construed as mildly offensive to any marginalized group are lining up to take shots at the place and its residents. People who live there love it though.

I heard an Indian coworker talking about how they were afraid to stop for gas driving through Alabama because they might get shot by some rednecks. This is someone born an raised in a Georgia town no more than 50 miles from the Alabama border.. as if the states were really that different lol then on the other hand a guy I knew from college also happened to be Indian but born and raised in Bama and would not let ANYONE forget it. Likeif we played take a shot everytime this guy said Roll Tide the night would end with all of us getting our stomachs pumped

Last edited by Space_League; 05-24-2022 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-24-2022, 11:39 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Alabama also gets DUMPED excessively on by white urbanites. Has to be one of the most maligned states. The type of people who would never dare (intentionally) utter something that could even be possibly construed as mildly offensive to any marginalized group are lining up to take shots at the place and its residents. People who live there love it though.

I heard an Indian coworker talking about how they were afraid to stop for gas driving through Alabama because they might get shot by some rednecks. This is someone born an raised in a Georgia town no more than 50 miles from the Alabama border.. as if the states were really that different lol then on the other hand a guy I knew from college also happened to be Indian but born and raised in Bama and would not let ANYONE forget it. Likeif we played take a shot everytime this guy said Roll Tide the night would end with all of us getting our stomachs pumped
I've said on several occasions that the difference between Georgia and Alabama boils down to PR.

Think: Bull Connor, church bombings and firehoses trained on Black civil rights marchers on the one hand, and "the city too busy to hate" on the other. (And there were no incidents of the "Bombingham" variety in Atlanta to boot during the Civil Rights Movement era.)

That difference also explains why metro Atlanta now is about three times metro Birmingham's size. In 1960, "the Pittsburgh of the South" was about the same size as Atlanta.

Lester Maddox and George Wallace were cut from the same cloth, but one "stood in the schoolhouse door" to keep a Black student from registering at the University of Alabama while the other did no such thing in Athens.

Little things can make a big difference.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:16 PM

111 posts, read 68,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Lot's of blacks are indifferent or hate Philadelphia. You mention Philly, you'll either get an "eww, it's too dirty and dangerous" or "It's alright, I don't hear about it too much though". Most of the love comes from progressive white urbanist.
Same viewpoints many Puerto Ricans have of Philadelphia, but despite that Philly still has a somewhat growing PR and Black (both American/immigrant) population. However, NYC Puerto Ricans and African Americans are leaving heavy.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Is there no significant Hatian population in Louisana ? You would think with the Creole/Cajun culture there might be something but I guess they are totally different communities with no crossover whatsoever. Vietnamese/Houduran/Mexican is the bulk of the immigrant population . Overall the state has low immigrant population even in NOLA

as far as perceptions Buffalo seems to be adored by the people who live there but looked down on by the rest of the country. Seems to cut across racial lines AFAIK I have seen the buffalove boosters black and white praising their city but lets be honest most people think of it as a dump, especially NYC residents

During the early 1800s after the Haitian revolution, many Haitians moved to Louisiana and blended into and strengthened the already present Creole culture there. But the migration wave died out, and nowadays most Haitians go to the eastcoast Miami NYC etc

Old 05-27-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
What does Cleveland have to do with the state of Ohio's "disproportionately" small Latino population?

And if you're talking Latino (usually referenced to Spanish speaking Caribbean people), Ohio is at least middle of the road overall and Cleveland is about twice the national average. ... Yes, Ohio has a small share of Hispanics (Mexican, Central American) based off the rest of the country; and Cleveland an even smaller share compared to the rest of Ohio. ...

But considering the Cleveland area has increased its Caribbean Latino population (mainly Puerto Rican, but also Dominican and probably some Cuban) by about 2,000 people a year over the past decade, that is at least one group that I would guess has a good perception of the area.
I'd say when it comes to the Midwest, Ohio is most favorable for Puerto Ricans and Dominicans compared to other Midwest states, but not so much for other Latinos. The Cleveland area is definitely more favorable than the Chicago area for Puerto Ricans, as Chicago is losing and Cleveland is gaining.
Illinois PR population went up 20k, from 182 to 202 between 2010 and 2017. While Ohio went up 31k, from 94 to 125. Ohio also has the most Dominicans in the Midwest, 16k, followed by Illinois at 12 and the rest each under 6k some far lower than that. Plus, Columbus is becoming big for Caribbean Latinos. But still nothing like the eastcoast.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:33 PM

For Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, the most favorable is definitely Florida and the Northeast (especially Pennsylvania and the New England area). NYC is still favorable for Dominicans, but not so much for Ricans anymore. Orlando is highly favorable among Puerto Ricans and Dominicans these days, it's become little Puerto Rico. Growing in popularity are areas in Ohio, Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, and Texas, but they take a backseat to Florida and the Northeast.

Last edited by DRPRCubaSpain; 05-27-2022 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-27-2022, 05:57 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPRCubaSpain View Post
For Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, the most favorable is definitely Florida and the Northeast (especially Pennsylvania and the New England area). NYC is still favorable for Dominicans, but not so much for Ricans anymore. Orlando is highly favorable among Puerto Ricans and Dominicans these days, it's become little Puerto Rico. Growing in popularity are areas in Ohio, Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, and Texas, but they take a backseat to Florida and the Northeast.
I spent a night in Hazleton PA recently. It felt like I was way out in the boonies but was surprised by how Hispanic and specifically Dominican it was. Reminded me of some of the small cities in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City