Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 01:58 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post

Us bougie DMV folks like Baltimore for some things too lol
Really? For what? Not that I've seen since I've been in Baltimore and the DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 02:03 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Really? For what? Not that I've seen since I've been in Baltimore and the DMV.
The restaurants and professional events. Particularly if you live in the Maryland part of the DMV. I know a few folks who now work at Baltimore firms and some who are looking to move to Baltimore due to COL. These are specifically black folks who lawyers and people in the medical professions however.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:21 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,211,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They love Phoenix even more.
There is a key distinction in that the Midwest transplants going to Denver tend to be much younger and have a more progressive mindset than those who move to Phoenix. Although the race/ethnic distribution differs, Denver is better aligned with Seattle or other West Coast urban centers than Phoenix in such respects.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:14 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
A few Blacks I've met seemed to hate Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and St. Louis.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:10 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A few Blacks I've met seemed to hate Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and St. Louis.
No surprise. They are highly segregated cities.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:52 PM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
I'm White and I'd love to visit Chicago or Philly someday. The right wing media loves portraying urban cities as hell on earth regardless of the racial demographics, even super White Portland and Seattle are not safe from criticism.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:13 PM

638 posts, read 348,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I'm White and I'd love to visit Chicago or Philly someday. The right wing media loves portraying urban cities as hell on earth regardless of the racial demographics, even super White Portland and Seattle are not safe from criticism.
That is because many of those cities do deserve criticism.

Homelessness and drug addiction is out of control.

The mayor of Seattle declared it a summer of love and multiple people died during the riots. Now the city is facing a multi million dollar judgement for negligence.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 06-14-2022 at 06:38 PM..

Old 06-14-2022, 06:39 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
That is because many of those cities do deserve criticism. The major of Seattle declared it a summer of love and multiple people died during the riots. Now the city is facing a multi million dollar judgement for negligence.
I don’t think Seattle has that much of a negative perception across the board. It’s views positively by most groups IMO. Portland on the other hand has a polarizing view. It’s known for being beautiful with great restaurants by the white crowd, but it also has a reputation mostly for left wing extremism but also right wing extremism as well. Most non-whites I’ve met personally don’t seem to view it that positively. White people overall love it IMO.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No surprise. They are highly segregated cities.
I think about this though. I have been posting on city-data since March 2007. I think about the racially charged posts I've seen. I think about the users who post them. For some reason, a relatively high proportion of those posting racially charged comments come from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and St. Louis. I start thinking "the racial climates in those cities are very bad".

Old 06-15-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I don’t think Seattle has that much of a negative perception across the board. It’s views positively by most groups IMO. Portland on the other hand has a polarizing view. It’s known for being beautiful with great restaurants by the white crowd, but it also has a reputation mostly for left wing extremism but also right wing extremism as well. Most non-whites I’ve met personally don’t seem to view it that positively. White people overall love it IMO.
I don't have a particularly negative view of Seattle. I do know that it's changed alot from when I lived in the Seattle area in the early 1990s. Alot more expensive, stressful, and now alot of issues with homelessness and the recent shenanigans. As a Black person who spent part of my childhood in the Seattle area (though I grew up in Georgia), I don't view it in a horrible light. And I've met Black people who once lived in the Seattle area. Alot of them had nice things to say. I've only run into one Black person who viewed Seattle (or the Puget Sound region) in a negative way. Most of the people I've met who view Seattle negatively have been White people. However, I do know that the Seattle area has gotten some craziness.

I haven't met any Black people who have said much about Portland. For some strange reason, not many Oregonians move to places in the South. I've only met a few Oregonians. And the ones that I've met say that it's okay, but if I as a Black person were to move to Oregon, the one thing I'd deal with is not so much hostility but ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City