Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2022, 07:29 PM

402 posts, read 369,317 times

Advertisements

Great topic. As someone who has friends all over the country, and has made a few of the threads the OP mentioned back on page 1, I personally know people who feel the following in 2022:

White friends love: Raleigh, Nashville, Charlotte, Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, Austin
Hispanic (non-Mexican) friends love: Miami, DC, NYC
Black friends love: Houston, Atlanta, DC, Charlotte, Chicago

White friends would not move to: Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, DC
Black friends would not move to: Nashville, Fort Lauderdale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 07:43 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
Great topic. As someone who has friends all over the country, and has made a few of the threads the OP mentioned back on page 1, I personally know people who feel the following in 2022:

White friends love: Raleigh, Nashville, Charlotte, Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, Austin

Huh, that's funny.

Chicago has lost black population and gained white and Latino population the last few years.

A black friend of mine just moved to Nashville from St. Louis and LOVES it.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:50 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:

That’s interesting because DC and Chicago are really popular among white people I know here in the Midwest.

That being said, I know it became “cool” for conservatives to claim they hate Chicago after Obama was elected in 08. To be honest, rural whites in the Midwest will claim to hate every major city that comes up in conservation lol. Except for maybe Ft. Myers or Tampa because they vacationed there once.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:57 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Des Moines gets the bulk of its growth from rural white people from with the state. It’s not like people from the coasts are flocking to it in droves. The story that folks don’t often hear is that a large number of people are also fleeing Des Moines, often to far-away locales like Phoenix, Denver, and various southeastern cities. Many of these are retirees, others are twenty and thirty somethings evacuating the area (what’s known as the “brain drain”). Many of these folks don’t have the kindest things to say about the city - could be the weather, the lack of amenities, the politics, anything really.

For a city of 750K it has a bit of an insular and “in crowd” vibe that is usually associated with much smaller communities. Yes some white folks do like the city, but just as many white folks don’t. Black, Latino and Asian folks in general aren’t impressed with the city as it only has minimal cultural offerings and educational/career opportunities for POC’s.
White people in Midwest seem to really like Denver for some reason.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:38 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
.carlos mancia had a stand-up joke (not sure where he stole it from) about when he did a tour in l.a., the promoters would bill him as 'the top mexican comic'; and, for shows in miami, he would be labelled as 'the #1 cuban comedian'; and, in new york city, he would be 'the puerto rican stand-up sensation'; but in chicago, they would list him as 'the best middle-eastern stand-up comic' ?

Old 06-06-2022, 09:20 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
It's kind of interesting to hear Black people wouldn't go to Nashville or White people wouldn't move to DC.

don't think it's good to judge. I have plenty of Black friends who moved right out of school to Seattle and have had fantastic lives there. I have many Black family and professional colleagues living in Nashville. I'm not shocked by where people want to live. People like where people like for many reasons.

I would say race can determine your experience depending upon your lifestyle choices and where you settle down in the city.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:45 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
White people in Midwest seem to really like Denver for some reason.
They love Phoenix even more.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:14 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:

In truth, Atlanta is more or less equally loved and loathed by Black folks lol.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:18 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:

This is strange to me. I hear White people in my real talk positively about all these cities (yes, even Chicago_ but then again they're more left ad liberal But they Especially like DC and Philly. And they're moving to DC and ATL in real numbers.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:29 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:

White people love DC so it's interesting your white friends would not move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep, you're right about that. As far as the the Black bougie DMV crowd is concerned, only DC and NYC exist along the Northeastern corridor. I usually find myself alone or in a very small minority extolling the virtues of Philly whenever I find myself among those folks (which is rather infrequently).
Us bougie DMV folks like Baltimore for some things too lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City