Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 07:00 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know about Frank Rizzo. There were about one or two posters here who claim to admire Rizzo. Rizzo was the one who said "vote White".

It still leaves a bad impression when there are several individuals from Philly and vicinity making racially charged comments.

I know about Fishtown because of baseball bat wielding "tough guys" that came about after the 2020 protests. Kensington, I had no idea that was considered a "sundown town". I wouldn't have gotten such an idea watching the Rocky series (which was first filmed in 1976).

Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and St. Louis, those are other places that come to mind when I think about racial tensions, and cities that have a negative perception among some Black people I've met.
Kensington is what the far NE or Bucks Co is today .
There was racial tension back which sometimes turned violent
https://youtu.be/rwKNx7eTPcE

3:25 making fun of black people
At 4:02 you can hear someone drop the N bomb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 07:16 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post

I could hear it at 4:02. I just never heard of Kensington being "Blacks stay away" until now. Rocky and Rocky V take place in the Kensington area, so that's all I know of Kensington. I also heard of the drugs in Kensington.

I still wouldn't live in Kensington. Being middle class, white collar, and kind of a nerd, I'd have a hard time living much of the rougher hoods of Philly.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:35 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
According to the 2020 Demographics Thread, Boston has a Hispanic percentage of 11.8 and Portland has 13.2.
Yup! I stand corrected!

Old 06-16-2022, 08:55 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Portland, OR has a more Hispanic metro than Boston?
Yeah according to this , his claim isn't really true. There are a number of Midwest and NE metros with both a higher percentage and population of Hispanics than Portland OR.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:02 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Yeah according to this , his claim isn't really true. There are a number of Midwest and NE metros with both a higher percentage and population of Hispanics than Portland OR.
That is true, but that data is really old.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:16 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
That just looks at population. I was talking about percentage not population. Which metros in the Northeast and Midwest besides NYC, Chicago, and DC have a percent Hispanic higher than Portland?

Old 06-16-2022, 09:20 AM

25 posts, read 21,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post

Didn't hear anything at 3:25 but that's a depressing video.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:30 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
That just looks at population. I was talking about percentage not population. Which metros in the Northeast and Midwest besides NYC, Chicago, and DC have a percent Hispanic higher than Portland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
That is true, but that data is really old.
it is old, you're right.

Quote:

The source shows percentage as well. But it's old as AASB pointed out.

Portland is at 13.2% Hispanic. Since my source was old, I'll use this thread as a reference. In addition to NYC, Chi, and DC, there's Providence and Hartford. Seems that Portland's Hispanic growth was higher than most Midwest/NE metros since more metros had higher Hispanic percentages in my old link.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:51 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
it is old, you're right.

The source shows percentage as well. But it's old as AASB pointed out.

Portland is at 13.2% Hispanic. Since my source was old, I'll use this thread as a reference. In addition to NYC, Chi, and DC, there's Providence and Hartford. Seems that Portland's Hispanic growth was higher than most Midwest/NE metros since more metros had higher Hispanic percentages in my old link.
Fair enough. I missed those two metros.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:00 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting you mention Pittsburgh. I notice a pattern among many of the far-right posters who make racially charged remarks, especially about Black people. A relatively high proportion of them come from the Pittsburgh area. For all I hear about Pittsburgh being "the most livable city in America", it's also referred to as one of the worst cities for Blacks in the USA. St. Louis proper has a bad rep because of its murder rate. And I would be hesitant to live there. However, Pittsburgh looks like a hot mess for Black people, worst than for anyone else. I could easily think "Pittsburgh is a racist city" based on some the comments I see from some bigoted posters on city-data, and from Pittsburgh being called one of the worst cities for Black people. However, I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I just wonder "how would I do in Pittsburgh as a college-educated Black person from a middle class background"?

I also wonder the same thing about Milwaukee.
You would do fine in Pittsburgh as a middle class educated black person. I never left Pittsburgh and most of my professional career was with a major financial institution. Pittsburgh has all things black and is affordable to most especially those moving in from the coast. There are several middle class areas in and around the city that are suitable for a black family. Stanton Heights (inner city) East Liberty (inner city) Point Breeze (inner city) and Penn Hills (Largest suburb @ 40% black) Monroeville (suburb) Wilkins Twnshp (suburb) Forest Hills (suburb). These areas are East but there are others in the north and western portion of the city and county. The highest concentrations of black middle class would be in Pittsburgh's East End and eastern suburbs.

Poor people sometimes do not see middle class black people outside of Sunday Church service. Many are stuck in their neighborhood. The former poster mentioned Garfield. Garfield is in the early stages of gentrification and those homes are in the 300's now. This was one of the worst hoods in the 1990's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City