Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2022, 02:33 PM

111 posts, read 68,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Portland, OR has a more Hispanic metro than Boston?
Yes but different type of Hispanic. Boston Hispanics are mostly Dominican/Puerto Rican, with a small number from Central America. Portland Hispanics are vast majority Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 03:32 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting you mention Pittsburgh. I notice a pattern among many of the far-right posters who make racially charged remarks, especially about Black people. A relatively high proportion of them come from the Pittsburgh area. For all I hear about Pittsburgh being "the most livable city in America", it's also referred to as one of the worst cities for Blacks in the USA. St. Louis proper has a bad rep because of its murder rate. And I would be hesitant to live there. However, Pittsburgh looks like a hot mess for Black people, worst than for anyone else. I could easily think "Pittsburgh is a racist city" based on some the comments I see from some bigoted posters on city-data, and from Pittsburgh being called one of the worst cities for Black people. However, I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I just wonder "how would I do in Pittsburgh as a college-educated Black person from a middle class background"?

I also wonder the same thing about Milwaukee.
I think you'd probably have a tough time in Pittsburgh and Milwaukee if you're looking for a sizeable middle class black community to mingle with. St. Louis, while no Atlanta or DC, is very similar to a metro like Baltimore. When I say it's like Baltimore, it has a large ghetto subculture but the black community is large enough and established enough that you will still run into a crapload of black doctors, professors, nurses, teachers, lawyers, police, fireman, etc. that there is a sizable black middle class with all of the trappings of a city with a sizable black middle class. Also, St. Louis is like Baltimore and has a HBCU that produces a lot of local black talent. Black politicians and congressional representation is also something neither city will lose in the near future.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:55 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting you mention Pittsburgh. I notice a pattern among many of the far-right posters who make racially charged remarks, especially about Black people. A relatively high proportion of them come from the Pittsburgh area. For all I hear about Pittsburgh being "the most livable city in America", it's also referred to as one of the worst cities for Blacks in the USA. St. Louis proper has a bad rep because of its murder rate. And I would be hesitant to live there. However, Pittsburgh looks like a hot mess for Black people, worst than for anyone else. I could easily think "Pittsburgh is a racist city" based on some the comments I see from some bigoted posters on city-data, and from Pittsburgh being called one of the worst cities for Black people. However, I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I just wonder "how would I do in Pittsburgh as a college-educated Black person from a middle class background"?

I also wonder the same thing about Milwaukee.
Statistically, among the nation's large (1M+) metros, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh have the worst outcomes for Black Americans across a host of QOL categories--Milwaukee for Black folks all around and Pittsburgh for Black women particularly.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:16 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
https://thegrio.com/2022/06/02/yes-i...-nia-long/amp/

“Native New Yorkers with no ties to New England don’t root for Boston. That’s worse than rooting for Philadelphia. We don’t care nothing about those I-95 outposts, also-rans not nice enough to be named twice or have two football and two baseball teams. However, it’d be way easier to pull for Philly, like supporting your little play-cousin.

Boston? That’s like rooting for the racist uncle who married into the family.

Hating on Beantown is a given for most self-respecting Black folks. It’s the default setting for consciousness unless you were born in that region and can’t activate the manual override“

Old 06-17-2022, 04:08 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
https://thegrio.com/2022/06/02/yes-i...-nia-long/amp/

“Native New Yorkers with no ties to New England don’t root for Boston. That’s worse than rooting for Philadelphia. We don’t care nothing about those I-95 outposts, also-rans not nice enough to be named twice or have two football and two baseball teams. However, it’d be way easier to pull for Philly, like supporting your little play-cousin.

Boston? That’s like rooting for the racist uncle who married into the family.

Hating on Beantown is a given for most self-respecting Black folks. It’s the default setting for consciousness unless you were born in that region and can’t activate the manual override“
Memories die hard. Three sentences after your snippet, Devon Snyder writes:

Quote:
Where else have we seen a flag used like a spear?
That infamous incident, captured in a Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph, took place in 1975. I think Boston's come a ways since then. (I landed in Cambridge for college the following year. Funny thing is, the year after that, Boston got its first Black school board member in large part because many ethnic Irish voters pulled the lever for him because of his surname.)

Old 06-17-2022, 04:41 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hating on Beantown is a given for most self-respecting Black folks. It’s the default setting for consciousness unless you were born in that region and can’t activate the manual override
Really glad I’m never implied to be a brainwashed, race-traitor because of where I’m from. Crazy how people can say stuff like this and have it be acceptable.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Statistically, among the nation's large (1M+) metros, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh have the worst outcomes for Black Americans across a host of QOL categories--Milwaukee for Black folks all around and Pittsburgh for Black women particularly.
Legacy cities in the midwest tend not to do very well in those rankings. Lots of poverty and low skilled workers.

San Jose ranks number 1 but the Black population is only 2.7%.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:14 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Really glad I’m never implied to be a brainwashed, race-traitor because of where I’m from. Crazy how people can say stuff like this and have it be acceptable.
More than acceptable, it is encouraged.

Took my gf to Boston about 7 weeks ago she liked it, we went to NC 2 weeks ago and told her mom how much fun we had.

Her mom scoffed and just said "Bostons a colony full of colonizers." Didn't ask about the rest of the trip at all what we did, who we saw, etc.

I was 100% unsurprised because she had told me her mom was initially disappointed she dated someone from Boston. As an adult woman, she wasn't going to change her mind. That is why I didn't mention the trip. My GF (from Jersey) was more surprised. She still doesn't really understand why black people dislike the city so much. I told her the longer she is with me the more she will see.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:49 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Morris View Post
Didn't hear anything at 3:25 but that's a depressing video.
I would not have made it in Kensington. Too much of a nerd.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:16 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I think you'd probably have a tough time in Pittsburgh and Milwaukee if you're looking for a sizeable middle class black community to mingle with. St. Louis, while no Atlanta or DC, is very similar to a metro like Baltimore. When I say it's like Baltimore, it has a large ghetto subculture but the black community is large enough and established enough that you will still run into a crapload of black doctors, professors, nurses, teachers, lawyers, police, fireman, etc. that there is a sizable black middle class with all of the trappings of a city with a sizable black middle class. Also, St. Louis is like Baltimore and has a HBCU that produces a lot of local black talent. Black politicians and congressional representation is also something neither city will lose in the near future.
I'm looking at it like this. I know Pittsburgh is ranked as one of the worst cities for Black Americans, as far as certain quality of life factors are concerned. On another note, I think about this. Pittsburgh is constantly being touted as one of the most livable cities in America.

I know that in Maryland I will find a Black middle class there, especially out in the suburbs. Maryland is where R&B great Stacy Lattisaw lives. Maryland strikes me as a strange state. It has a large Black middle class. On the flip side, there is also Baltimore, a very violent city. I find it easier to understand Maryland than Missouri though. Missouri's Black middle class does seem more concentrated in the St. Louis suburbs. I've done some research about Missouri. It has highest Black homicide rate in America. St. Louis AND Kansas City are driving that. I have had to ask what's up with St. Louis and Kansas City. I used to live in the Atlanta area. Far more Blacks live in the Atlanta area (and Georgia over all) than in the St. Louis metro or Missouri as a whole. Georgia comes out as being markedly safer. It tells me Atlanta is doing something right. It also makes wonder what kind of dynamics exist in Missouri.

For me, it is about how I am treated. Being around Black middle class people is always good. It certain beats being around a ghetto underclass. Where I worked there are two other Black people there. They are like me. Educated, middle class. However, I also think about this. I'm not one of those "stick to your own kind" types. Seeing Black middle class people doing well, that is good thing. I also understand that this is America and Blacks are 13% of the population. We're outnumbered 7.7 to 1 by everyone else in America. I also see things from this perspective. I'm an American and I can live wherever I want. I shouldn't be afraid to live anywhere. I shouldn't have to ask myself "will I be accepted here?". I shouldn't be thinking "I'm only sticking to this region". This is a vast country. Why should I only stick to living in the South or certain enclaves of the East Coast?

When I ask about stuff like this, I'm think about how I'm going to be treated if I live in places like Pittsburgh or Milwaukee. I wonder what kind of racism I would run into. I also think about this when it comes to any other place I might consider living in. However, when it comes to places with some of the poorest Black populations, I really start asking questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City