Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 08:12 PM

9 posts, read 6,907 times

Advertisements

Which city with the name Louis is superior?

Climate:
Outdoor activites:
Economy:
Architecture:
Amenities:
Sports:
Crime:
Suburbs:

Old 06-29-2022, 03:15 AM

255 posts, read 159,575 times
Just got back from a trip to both cities last week. IMO it goes...
Climate: Same, not going to nitpick over their fairly similar climates
Outdoor activities: Same, both seemed to utilize their rivers/riverfronts and both have fairly close proximity to some hilly terrain
Economy: Louisville, but it didn't seem like it was substantially ahead of St Louis in terms of growth
Architecture: St Louis
Amenities: St Louis
Sports: St Louis. U of L, the derby and Louisville's soccer team aren't enough to overcome St Louis' pro teams.
Crime: Louisville
Suburbs: St Louis

My preference would be St Louis. Not mentioned, but I love Louisville's close proximity to many of the different bourbon distilleries. Both cities had a lot to do and left a favorable impression on me.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:01 AM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
I would agree with bartonro on every category save Economy, which I would also give to St. Louis. All three of Missouri's Fortune 500 companies are headquartered there, and it's my impression that it's bigger than Louisville's. I suspect both are growing at a similar pace.

I'd also second them on the Bourbon distilleries. That was the thing I enjoyed most about my visits to Louisville a few years back.

I would, however, put Bardstown Road over the Central West End as a dining/entertainment district. The CWE's not bad, but it didn't strike me as being as lively as Bardstown Road. (Actually, I've long thought St. Louis a relatively quiet city as far as nightlife is concerned — even my hometown of Kansas City, which still has the wide-open Pendergast years imprinted in its cultural DNA, outdoes it.)

OTOH, I do pity Louisville grocery shoppers, whose supermarket choices are Kroger or nothing. I swear it's the biggest city I've ever been in where there's only one supermarket chain competing for business. I wonder why that's the case?

Old 06-29-2022, 04:09 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-South Mike View Post
Which city with the name Louis is superior?

Climate:
Outdoor activites:
Economy:
Architecture:
Amenities:
Sports:
Crime:
Suburbs:
Climate: Tie

Outdoor activities: Tie

Economy: St Louis larger STEM base and a lot more job openings. Larger Economy with 7 f500 companies giving more options to build a career.

Architecture: St. Louis More areas with great architecture.

Amenities: St. Louis. Not a good comparison. St Louis however Louisville has a lot going on.

Sports: St Louis. St. Louis is a great sports town with the Cardinals being one of the most successful franchise in MLB. Louisville doesn't compare.

Crime: I will say Louisville. I feel safer there even though many people complain about crime. St. Louis has 2 out of three strikes. Statistically the city ranks as one of the most dangerous cities. The state is in the top five most dangerous. Msa is just as safe as Louisville. I think the larger city limits helps Louisville along with many other cities.

Suburbs: St Louis. Doesn't compare.

I don't think this is a good comparison due to size. I love Louisville but I think it would do better in a comparison with Memphis, Rochester or Birmingham.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:11 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,354,969 times
"I swear it's the biggest city I've ever been in where there's only one supermarket chain competing for business. I wonder why that's the case?"....Last I remember, Meijer was in business there with at least 3 huge stores.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:15 AM

255 posts, read 159,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I would agree with bartonro on every category save Economy, which I would also give to St. Louis. All three of Missouri's Fortune 500 companies are headquartered there, and it's my impression that it's bigger than Louisville's. I suspect both are growing at a similar pace.

I'd also second them on the Bourbon distilleries. That was the thing I enjoyed most about my visits to Louisville a few years back.

I would, however, put Bardstown Road over the Central West End as a dining/entertainment district. The CWE's not bad, but it didn't strike me as being as lively as Bardstown Road. (Actually, I've long thought St. Louis a relatively quiet city as far as nightlife is concerned — even my hometown of Kansas City, which still has the wide-open Pendergast years imprinted in its cultural DNA, outdoes it.)

OTOH, I do pity Louisville grocery shoppers, whose supermarket choices are Kroger or nothing. I swear it's the biggest city I've ever been in where there's only one supermarket chain competing for business. I wonder why that's the case?
Louisville has Meijer, which is a large grocer in the Great Lakes region. I thought I saw Walmart grocery stores too?

Edit...beaten above

Last edited by bartonro; 06-29-2022 at 04:27 AM..

Old 06-29-2022, 04:39 AM

457 posts, read 349,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Louisville has Meijer, which is a large grocer in the Great Lakes region. I thought I saw Walmart grocery stores too?

Edit...beaten above
Google is our friend lol, sounds like someone needs to brush up on their Louisville facts over their assumptions. In addition to Meijer, Publix has broken ground on 2 locations in the Louisville area with more coming. Also both Walmart and Target have a substantial grocery presence in the city, though neither of them give a grocery experience and selection like they have at Meijer. Gordon Food service also has a few retail locations as well.

The largest companies headquartered in Louisville are Humana, Yum Brands, Texas Roadhouse, and Brown Forman. Pound for pound given that Louisville is far smaller than St. Louis I'd say they are about even from a corporate standpoint. UPS world hub and Ford while not headquartered there, are also the equivalent of a two more fortune 500s in terms of economic and employment impact. I'd still give the edge to Louisville.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:50 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:

No, Louisville metro has Kroger, Meijer, and Publix now.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:41 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:

In addition to the grocery store statement. Missouri has more than 3 f500 companies. St Louis has more than that.

I didn't think nightlife was part of the criteria. As a Central West End resident, the area isn't a good assessment of nightlife in St Louis. 130 amliquor license is there because of nimbyism. Tower Grove, The Grove, Ballpark Village, The Loop, Grand Center, Washington Ave, Soulard all have a much better concentration of bars. I think Louisville's nightlife is way underrated! It may be better than St Louis. I don't know.

Louisville and St Louis has a pretty good cost of living to income ratio but St Louis has a lot more options for career building.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 06-29-2022 at 07:49 AM..

Old 06-29-2022, 07:52 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Climate: Very similiar climates in both cities. A tie.
Outdoor activites: I'll give the edge to St Louis given it is much larger and offers more in the region
Economy: St Louis has many more opportunities and a larger company base and much more job and economic diversity
Architecture: St Louis by far
Amenities: St Louis has many more things to do, due to its size
Sports: St Louis big time: St Louis has 3 pro teams: MLB, NHL, MLS. Louisville has the world famous Kentucky Derby, but no pro sports
Crime: Louisville wins here
Suburbs: St Louis definitely

This match-up is fun, but not really a close contest.

With St Louis metro coming in at 2.8 million, and Louisville around 1.3 million, the cities are almost apples to oranges.

St Louis will offer world class cultural institutions, is more cosmopolitan and is on a different tier than Louisville. Louisville is a nice region in some part of the area, and has a few good neighborhoods. But it feels smaller, crime is ticking up in some areas and it holds onto its parochial vibe in much of the area (suburbs).

St Louis wins by far in this match-up.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 06-29-2022 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.