Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 12:16 PM

771 posts, read 624,457 times

Advertisements

It's a boring answer but Winston-Salem and Durham are the most similar. All three cities are in the same geographic region, might as well be in the same metro area, and have histories of tobacco production or textiles.

Downtown Greensboro and downtown Durham have super similar vibes, IMO. Both have a Carolina Theatre, ballparks, somewhat gritty reputations, and aren't that large. Downtown Winston has a bigger appearance than both, probably because of the taller buildings. There's also the old R.J. Reynolds skyscraper in Winston, the tallest building between Baltimore and Miami when it was built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 05:18 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Most of the cities like Greensboro are elsewhere in NC. I cosign the Winston and Durham comps...

There is a bit of a Hampton, Va element to it, that is probably centered around historically black universities and a large black population that influences the culture of the city. Both are semi-large cities whose influence radiates into surrounding areas, but after that they differ greatly. But I do think there's an unexpected similarity in feel between Hampton and Greensboro...

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of Gso (or Hampton for that matter). Small and boring downtown. Elm is overrated, the rest of the city is boring, but for my money Gso is probably the most naturally beautiful city in NC, its absolutely gorgeous in the spring. I've spent a lot of time there over the years, especially in 2016...

Not my cup of tea, Carolinians overrate it tremendously...

Old 08-09-2022, 08:31 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Most of the cities like Greensboro are elsewhere in NC. I cosign the Winston and Durham comps...

There is a bit of a Hampton, Va element to it, that is probably centered around historically black universities and a large black population that influences the culture of the city. Both are semi-large cities whose influence radiates into surrounding areas, but after that they differ greatly. But I do think there's an unexpected similarity in feel between Hampton and Greensboro...

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of Gso (or Hampton for that matter). Small and boring downtown. Elm is overrated, the rest of the city is boring, but for my money Gso is probably the most naturally beautiful city in NC, its absolutely gorgeous in the spring. I've spent a lot of time there over the years, especially in 2016...

Not my cup of tea, Carolinians overrate it tremendously...
You think Greensboro is more naturally beautiful than Asheville?

But I'd love to know who these Carolinians are that overrate Greensboro tremendously. They definitely aren't on this forum and in real life, it's even less true.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:13 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

But I'd love to know who these Carolinians are that overrate Greensboro tremendously. They definitely aren't on this forum and in real life, it's even less true.
It isn't less true in real life. In the real world Black Carolinians LOVE Greensboro...

Old 08-09-2022, 09:24 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
It isn't less true in real life. In the real world Black Carolinians LOVE Greensboro...
Black South Carolinians rarely have an opinion of Greensboro one way or the other.

Black North Carolinians appreciate Greensboro for its HBCUs, GHOE, etc., but I have yet to meet anybody that fawns over Greensboro like it's Asheville or Charleston. Do they love it enough to move there in droves like it's Charlotte or the Triangle?

I suspect Black North Carolinians "love" Greensboro similar to how Black South Carolinians "love" Columbia, but in real life nobody is overrating either city.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:11 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Ive never met a single person who 'fawns' over Greensboro. They enjoy it. Not obsess over it.

It's a well respected city in a lot of regards, more-so than neighboring Winston Salem.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:42 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
To Mutiny,

I was not comparing Greensboro to Richmond and don’t think they are similar at all. I was responding to some posts ahead of mine that were comparing WS to Greensboro.

I’ve always liked Greensboro. Just have. I saw an opportunity to share that info with the locals and stated that I was from Richmond only to provide context.

I haven’t spent much time in Durham at all (saw a show there around 2007 and drove through once in the mid 90’s). From the photos I’ve seen it looks like a nice city.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:09 PM

676 posts, read 492,754 times
Of course the most simiiar city to Greensboro is Winston-Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I actually think Winston is more visually appealing than Greensboro, and I live in Greensboro. The only people that overrate Greensboro are the Mayor and the Chamber of Commerce. In my experience, blacks around here love Charlotte, A&T, and Atlanta... that's pretty much it.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:26 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
One reason…my school, NC A&T and GHOE(the greatest homecoming on earth)…the largest HBCU. In ways, it’s underrated because A&T really is such a force beyond the campus for the African American community in Greensboro. It is not only large but very progressive. Just about every Black North Carolinian has some sort of family/friend connection with A&T. It’s a great university that happens to be a HBCU, unique and Greensboro’s greatest asset…ok, I’m biased but thats real talk.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:50 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Of course the most simiiar city to Greensboro is Winston-Salem

I actually think Winston is more visually appealing than Greensboro, and I live in Greensboro. The only people that overrate Greensboro are the Mayor and the Chamber of Commerce. In my experience, blacks around here love Charlotte, A&T, and Atlanta... that's pretty much it.
Lol, but here’s why, it’s the overall package, especially if you are Black. There are plenty of other places in the South and America with Black folk but the blend of professional, working class, etc in the region is unique, then toss in the quality and cost of living, it’s a hard to beat. And I have live quite a few places in this country, including DC. I realize what other places have to offer other than the Black experience, and places like DC that are on a different scale. Plus DC is NC North. However if you can find your space along I-85 South, it’s a good deal… there’s just a lot of activities and events not too far away, for Black people if that’s your thing.

The problem with Greensboro is it decided to “control” growth which stymied urban offerings for a city it’s size. Really, Elm St., with a better vision should have 5x the amount of activity and been built out over Gate City Blvd. Winston-Salem? yea, probably nicer foliage and terrain, and closer to piedmont territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City