Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 01:21 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
With the consequences of global warming set to accelerate, no order place will benefit more than Canada and no other place will lose out more than Florida.
Isn't Vancouver and Richmond mostly at sea level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 01:47 PM

444 posts, read 282,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Canada.

The city of Vancouver would be fine up to 2 meters increase in sea level but Richmond would need some civil engineering to prevent flooding. But it would be simple to protect them from flooding due to the small costal area. The state of Florida is surrounding all on sides by ocean, but worst of all the land is porous and swampy, so flooding would be happening from rising ground water levels all over the state instead of from the coast so even the Dutch couldn't stop Florida from flooding. and my comment was regarding Canada overall

Last edited by Trojan1982; 07-25-2022 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 06:52 PM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
With the consequences of global warming set to accelerate, no order place will benefit more than Canada and no other place will lose out more than Florida. And lets not forget all the other social-economic factors between Canada and Florida such as crime, life expectancy, income inequality, levels of education, etc.. that I can't see Florida narrowing anytime soon.
Yes, was about to make this same comment. In fact, I can't think of many places with a better future than Canada, all things considered (and Florida would not be on that list).

Outside of the obvious changing climate advantages that Canada has, it has abundant natural resources, it has a diverse population (one of the most diverse in the world) AND has an extremely low violent crime rate. It also has a largely urbanized population, so intra-metro public transit scales up much easier than it does in the US.

I'm obviously extrapolating an entire country's virtues to a single city, which of course is not entirely fair - I'm aware Vancouver has significant COL issues, and for Canada has a decently high crime rate. But still, it is much safer than nearly any major US city.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:13 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
I'm going to preface this with the fact that climate and topography/vegetation alone tilt this massively in favor of Vancouver for me, but I'm not going to sit here and say that is the right answer, per se, just my personal tastes at this point, really.

Quality of life: This is subjective, of course. According to global experts who make these sorts of lists, Vancouver is consistently a global, chart topping leader, on multiple indexes. Tampa doesn't come close to sniffing any global livability leaderboard lists. However, Tampa is also massively more affordable than Vancouver in spite of recent COL increases that have been rather dramatic. And, I think it also might depend on what things contribute positively to quality of life, which can be a highly individualistic experience and variable. So, it's tough for me to say.

Culture: I mean, this one is sorta difficult, because it depends on how we are defining it. If we are talking fine and performing arts, I'd say it's relatively even maybe slight lean to Tampa Bay, but that is because St. Petersburg and Sarasota bring a lot to the picture.

Better weather: Everyone's different, but for my tastes, Vancouver by a landslide-but then again, that comes down to personal preference, some like it hot.

Natural beauty: Vancouver to me is the most well rounded naturally beautiful city on the planet between gorgeous coastline, forest and mountains nearby. Tampa has beauty to be sure for me, but for what I like, Vancouver has a lot lot more.

Entertainment/things to do: Honestly, I'd say it's pretty comparable-that said, there might be more overall to do in Tampa region if we are factoring for proximity to Orlando or Disney, but, at the same time, Vancouver in terms of feeling and acting like an urban, walkable city, probably does so better than Tampa or perhaps any southeastern US city from what I experienced. So, it comes down to what you like to do for fun.

Food: Vancouver probably has one of if not the signature places for Asian cuisine in all of North America. That element alone I think elevates it for me above Tampa's also pretty solid Latin/Cuban food scene-as far as the rest, I would assume Vancouver on average trends more granola whereas Tampa trends more toward comfort-stereotypes, of course, but probably some truth there. Vancouver I would guess has a more developed seafood scene than Tampa based on what I know about Seattle, but that is not assured. All in all, I think there are a healthy number of options in both, but I think Vancouver overall probably does more different things well than Tampa does, especially among different Asian cuisines, whereas Tampa isn't quite like Miami where it's solid in Latin American everything, mainly just Cuban.

Better future: Hard for me to say, honestly.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:58 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
Vancouver all the way.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:40 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
It is difficult to compare US and Canadian metro areas even if they have similar populations, because their size rankings within the respective countries are so different.

Vancouver is the largest metro area in western Canada, and is growing primarily from international migration particularly from Asia. Tampa/St. Petersburg is one of many sizable metro areas in the Southern US, and its growth originates primarily from domestic migration, although there is a moderate influx of immigrants as well.

Vancouver has a more noteworthy built environment and natural setting in many respects, along with global connectivity. But it wouldn't be my preference for everyday living, due to the long dark and grey winters, extremely high housing costs and the more narrow economy associated with being a less populous country. I would choose Vancouver over a number of more stagnant US metro areas, but Tampa Bay is a thriving Sunbelt region that is developing and evolving steadily - and very close to other places in Florida that also have a lot to offer.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:26 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'd venture a guess that a large majority of people have never been to Vancouver. And that's myself included, unfortunately.
I'm the opposite, I've never been to Tampa but have been to Vancouver BC.

Despite this, I like mountains, ski resorts and pine trees. Vancouver also seems better off economically/job wise.
Vancouver BC all day long over flat and humid Florida.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:30 PM

444 posts, read 282,423 times
Here a coole drone video of the Vancouver Region

Last edited by Trojan1982; 07-31-2022 at 10:10 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 05:00 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Housing cost kind of makes it closer. My sister’s house in the Dunbar part of Vancouver is worth $3.5 million as a teardown. 33’ frontage lot with an alley behind it. Really high walk score. Good public transportation. All the green space of the endowment lands is a couple of blocks away. Leafy street that was once a middle class neighborhood 50 years ago but is now quickly shifting to Chinese millionaires.

You can buy a house in the 1%er neighborhood in Tampa for $1.5 million and the price is dropping quickly. I see Lyford Cay Road for $1.59MM. W Estrella for $1.49MM. It’s easy to imagine $1 million houses in that neighborhood soon. In Vancouver, you’re in a condo for those prices.

Last edited by GeoffD; 08-01-2022 at 05:29 AM..

Old 08-01-2022, 06:33 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Housing cost kind of makes it closer. My sister’s house in the Dunbar part of Vancouver is worth $3.5 million as a teardown. 33’ frontage lot with an alley behind it. Really high walk score. Good public transportation. All the green space of the endowment lands is a couple of blocks away. Leafy street that was once a middle class neighborhood 50 years ago but is now quickly shifting to Chinese millionaires.

You can buy a house in the 1%er neighborhood in Tampa for $1.5 million and the price is dropping quickly. I see Lyford Cay Road for $1.59MM. W Estrella for $1.49MM. It’s easy to imagine $1 million houses in that neighborhood soon. In Vancouver, you’re in a condo for those prices.
Keep in mind 1.5m will get a small home constructed in the 1950s there. The newest ones are much more. I was actually just there yesterday and saw a few in the 8 figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City