Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 08:19 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times

Advertisements

San Antonio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 09:09 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Tampa seems like the obvious choice… Why are you guys saying Charlotte? I don’t see them as similar.
Pretty much this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Small foot print of a downtown. Flat as all hell. Quick transition to awful urban sprawl. Fast growing. Similar size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
They aren't similar at all...except metro population. Totally different climate, economy, topography,cityscape, and Center City Charlotte is much bigger and denser...

I dunno... Outside of downtown, there are quite a few places in both areas that could easily be interchanged. This could pass for pretty much any of Orlando's hideous suburban sprawl thoroughfares.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1341...7i16384!8i8192

I can see it being compared to a mix of St-Pete and Tampa if ONLY comparing the core areas. But even in its recent developments, it looks like it takes lots of cues from Charlotte, with North Quarter/Ivanhoe area starting to look oddly similar to South End.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:30 AM

Also, yes Center City Charlotte is much more densely built than Downtown Orlando, but the vibe is still kind of similar. Huge open air parks, mid-youngish professional crowds (during the day… I think Orlando gets much rowdier and trashier at night) etc. I love both, Center City and Downtown Orlando, and for very similar reasons. Probably my favorite sunbelt downtowns along with St-Pete.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:52 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Charlotte.

Same size, both have that cleanly plastic feel in their CBDs. Both only moderately southern in culture. Both have amusement parks in the cities themselves. And so on. Orlando more expensive and easier access to beach, Charlotte more corporate and slightly cheaper.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:54 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree on both counts but would call it awful SUBURBAN sprawl, there's nothing urban about it.
'Urban Sprawl' is the officially coined term of what that is.

Even though, I agree suburban sprawl is a better term for it because it is extremely misleading lol

Old 08-25-2022, 12:20 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
They aren't similar at all...except metro population. Totally different climate, economy, topography,cityscape, and Center City Charlotte is much bigger and denser...
Not really. I lived in Orlando for most of 2010s and then moved to NC in 2020... they are very similar. Charlotte has a denser core, sure, but the two are more similar than they are not.

Old 08-31-2022, 04:44 AM

325 posts, read 203,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
San Antonio
Gonna vote this too. Same size metro, massive tourism industries/Sea World, 3rd place metro area in their states, suburban sprawl, relative lack of skyscrapers downtown, similar climates, both growing rapidly.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:41 AM

860 posts, read 1,356,991 times
It's Raleigh. Just replace the Triangle park with the Resort/Amusement Park district, and replace Durham with more exburbs. Bam, Orlando.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
It's Raleigh. Just replace the Triangle park with the Resort/Amusement Park district, and replace Durham with more exburbs. Bam, Orlando.
Core is more built out than Raleigh, and spreads out further, and it is a much more hectic place, hence my closer comparison to Charlotte. The Orlando core is quite densely populated, just not built up like Charlotte, but its urbanity far exceeds Raleigh. There is a fairly dense box that includes (outside of downtown neighborhoods) SoDo, Baldwin Park, College Park, Ivanhoe, Audubon, etc., that gets overlooked here quite a bit.

The sprawls mess around that is what really takes away from it.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:44 AM

860 posts, read 1,356,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Core is more built out than Raleigh, and spreads out further, and it is a much more hectic place, hence my closer comparison to Charlotte. The Orlando core is quite densely populated, just not built up like Charlotte, but its urbanity far exceeds Raleigh. There is a fairly dense box that includes (outside of downtown neighborhoods) SoDo, Baldwin Park, College Park, Ivanhoe, Audubon, etc., that gets overlooked here quite a bit.

The sprawls mess around that is what really takes away from it.
Agreed. Orlando has a surprisingly nice urban core, with it's downtown being surrounded by early 20th century neighborhoods all the way out to College Park. It def has more walkable neighborhoods than Raleigh and it's more cohesive. Their downtowns are of comparable size, but Orlando's is more impressive at street level, and Lake Eola makes it more dynamic. They also have a form of rail transit, which is another aspect comparable to Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City