Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Festival City
Montreal 15 26.79%
NYC 5 8.93%
Austin 3 5.36%
Chicago 21 37.50%
Other (post in thread which city) 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 03:15 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
I'd count St. Patties festivities as well, or any cultural festivals in addition to international/large local festivals definitely count.
In that case I would definitely put New Orleans right up there with Chicago. New Orleans economy is based on having a good time. Laissez Les Bon Temps Roullez.

New Orleans celebrates cultures that are not even prevalent in the area. I can understand why Chicago has a Dia de los Muertos festival but why does New Orleans? There hasn't been a large Spanish presence there in like 1000 years. ANY EXCUSE TO CELEBRATE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 03:24 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
With Mardi Gras, New Orleans has the bigger signature event between the two. That’s basically the only matchup it gets over Chicago.

There’s no need to list Chicago music festivals because that would be too long and it speaks for itself. New Orleans has Voodoo and Jazz Fest which are great but are much more regional in comparison to the Chicago festivals.

How about food? As great of a food city that New Orleans is, when it comes to festivals, Taste of Chicago is the biggest in the country. Chicago wins again.

International festivals? Pride? Chicago again and again.

Mardi Gras is a huge outlier but it’s only one outlier.

Case in point, New Orleans is no slouch if we increase the genres to beyond music. And it’s top 5 in USA. Mardi Gras is HUGE. However outside of Mardi Gras, the festivals in New Orleans don’t attract people with near the amount of reach that the many Chicago festivals do.

This poll isn’t a down to the wire poll. Chicago takes it on this one.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:25 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Really? Pride, Puerto Rican Day, West Indian Day, St Patricks Day etc all draw in the millions in New York.
Veteran's Day, Columbus Day, NYC Marathon weekend, Fashion Week, Feast of San Gennaro, Restaurant Week, on and on and on. Good to spread the love to other cities too.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:29 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
With Mardi Gras, New Orleans has the bigger signature event between the two. That’s basically the only matchup it gets over Chicago.

There’s no need to list Chicago music festivals because that would be too long and it speaks for itself. New Orleans has Voodoo and Jazz Fest which are great but are much more regional in comparison to the Chicago festivals.

How about food? As great of a food city that New Orleans is, when it comes to festivals, Taste of Chicago is the biggest in the country. Chicago wins again.

International festivals? Pride? Chicago again and again.

Mardi Gras is a huge outlier but it’s only one outlier.

Case in point, New Orleans is no slouch if we increase the genres to beyond music. And it’s top 5 in USA. Mardi Gras is HUGE. However outside of Mardi Gras, the festivals in New Orleans don’t attract people with near the amount of reach that the many Chicago festivals do.

This poll isn’t a down to the wire poll. Chicago takes it on this one.
I think Montreal also gives Chicago a run for its money festival wise. Obviously that's up to others to decide (and hopefully they actually visited both cities), but that's my opinion.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Toronto would definitely be up there. Hugely diverse city and lots of ethnic festivals all over the place constantly.

Old 09-02-2022, 05:20 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
DC has some pretty dope festivals!

Broccoli City Festival

H Street Festival

Funk Parade and Festival

Kite Festival

Old 09-02-2022, 06:50 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
As posted by someone else Miami/SoFla is no slouch

Art Basel
Coconut Grove Art Festival
SoBe Wine & Food Festival
Carnaval
Calle Ocho Music Festival
International Boat Show
Ultra Music Festival
Rolling Loud
Art Deco Weekend
Swim Week
Afro Cuban Dance Festival
Brazilian Festival of Pompano Beach
Las Olas Wine & Food Festival
Wynwood Art Fair
Wynwood Mural Fest
Miami Concours
Overtown Music & Arts Festival

Leaving out sports related events and marathons.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-02-2022 at 07:02 AM..

Old 09-02-2022, 07:16 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Simple thread, which city between the U.S and Canada is the best for festivals/large scale events? This will not include private parties/events or after parties, just festivals and major events that occur year round.

I do prefer if people stick it to city or metropolitan areas, but those in close proximity can also qualify (if it's a 30-45 min drive at most).

I don't really think this is that simple of a question, but a good topic.

I think New Orleans, in terms of pure cultural events, deserves a nod for Mardi Gras. The Jazz fest there is also one of the longest running music festivals in America.

NYC is known for holiday's like New Year's Eve and Thanksgiving which have large well-known events.

Austin has had a few more well-known 'niche' festivals.

I think the Detroit Auto Show is usually known as the biggest and best auto show.

Vegas is built for festivals and conventions so you could look at it as the 'best'.

Chicago's Lollapalooza is one of the older, more well known, big general music festivals, but I imagine almost every major metro has one or two events like that that draw a variety of top artists. It's not as much of a novelty it once was.

I don't think it's possible for me to truly say 'what is the best city?' when every single has dozens and dozens of festivals and annual events.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:47 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
"Festivals" that cost hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars to attend in my mind are all well and good, but what makes a place attractive as a "festival city" is the variety, quantity, and most important the accessibility to average people. Cities that hold many "free" events (no admission charges) make a place more attractive to me than "events" requiring cover charges, tickets purchased in advance, or limited admission. Its a joy discovering new festivals that I wasn't even aware of until passing through an area.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Mardi Gras and Heritage Festival in New Orleans,local can make money renting out their homes and apartments for good money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City