Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Festival City
Montreal 15 26.79%
NYC 5 8.93%
Austin 3 5.36%
Chicago 21 37.50%
Other (post in thread which city) 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 12:51 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times

Advertisements

Simple thread, which city between the U.S and Canada is the best for festivals/large scale events? This will not include private parties/events or after parties, just festivals and major events that occur year round.

I do prefer if people stick it to city or metropolitan areas, but those in close proximity can also qualify (if it's a 30-45 min drive at most).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 01:01 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
None of these come to mind.. but if I had to chose one, New York City maybe (Specifically Manhattan).

Im not entirely sure. This post is vague and selective of a few cities.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:15 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times
Montreal is very well known for their many festivals throughout the year.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:34 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
None of these come to mind.. but if I had to chose one, New York City maybe (Specifically Manhattan).

Im not entirely sure. This post is vague and selective of a few cities.
It's a very simple thread.... which city is best for large festivals/festivals + events in total. The cities on the list are usually the most talked about. It wouldn't make sense to make a lengthy, endless poll, so I used the big 4 with "other" as an option.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:35 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
New Orleans seem to have one every week

Old 09-01-2022, 01:36 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Austin and NYC should be replaced by Miami and Vegas

Chicago
Miami
Vegas

Between these 3, it’s hard to choose. Miami has Rolling Loud and Vegas has EDC. Chicago doesn’t have one of the “big 3” which are those + Coachella but it has Lollapalooza which is the closest thing.

I’ll probably still go with Chicago as number 1 just because it has so many different ones with such different themes. Lollapalooza, Summer Smash, North Coast. Chicago even has Mas Flow (reggaeton). Reggaeton festivals are new and rare. It’s just crazy how Chicago is such a magnet for festivals. It gets my vote

Followed by Vegas then Miami then LA.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:45 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Chicago.

I'm not joking when I say a lot of folks move here, live here, and stay here for the festivals. And no, I don't mean Lollapalooza.

There is a street festival every weekend, if not multiple, from May - October. Big ones, like Pitchfork, Riot, Northcoast, Arc, Taste of Chicago, and (yes) Lollapalooza are great and all, but it's the neighborhood fests that have that "thing". Nearly every neighborhood gets a weekend dedicated where their commercial drags are blocked off. Bars and restaurants open early, music stages are tucked into side streets, street vendors are everywhere. Wicker Park Fest, Do Division, Belmont-Sheffield Music Fest, Old Town Art Fair, etc. etc. etc. It's a full weekend party from Friday - Sunday night.

It's one of those things where, if you haven't lived here, it's hard to understand just how large, and how popular the rotational fests are.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:47 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
New Orleans seems like the obvious choice.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:50 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Chicago.

I'm not joking when I say a lot of folks move here, live here, and stay here for the festivals. And no, I don't mean Lollapalooza.

There is a street festival every weekend, if not multiple, from May - October. Big ones, like Pitchfork, Riot, Northcoast, Arc, Taste of Chicago, and (yes) Lollapalooza are great and all, but it's the neighborhood fests that have that "thing". Nearly every neighborhood gets a weekend dedicated where their commercial drags are blocked off. Bars and restaurants open early, music stages are tucked into side streets, street vendors are everywhere. Wicker Park Fest, Do Division, Belmont-Sheffield Music Fest, Old Town Art Fair, etc. etc. etc.

It's one of those things where, if you haven't lived here, it's hard to understand just how large, and how popular the rotational fests are.
Yeah I have no clue who’s responsible for turning Chicago into the festival magnet that it is but whoever is, they know what they’re doing. A music festivsl for every genre. For food for sports. I don’t know if it’s because it’s conveniently in the middle of the country. I don’t know if Grant Park is just that well tailored to host them. Whatever it is, Chicago knows what it’s doing in this

Old 09-01-2022, 01:50 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
New Orleans seems like the obvious choice.
I do agree that it's a glaring omission. My choice of Chicago over New Orleans really comes down to preference. I love spring/summer/fall in that city, and for me, you can't beat the rotating neighborhood festivals or the neighborhoods themselves.

Ultimately, that's likely why Chicago will take the most votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City