Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 07:56 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Errr. No. Rap has been around far longer than Hip Hop.
Rap aka Emcee is one of the 4 pillars of Hip Hop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
The media is still based in NYC, no?

A true New Yorker delights in $h*tting all over Chicago. I think in 2011 or 2012 when Chicago surpassed NYC in raw numbers of murders as opposed to per capita someone was like, Hey! We could have years of this! Chicago is the murder capital! Ef that place

I go to Chicago from 1 to 4 times a week and we were talking about the West Loop in particular. My housemate never goes and brings up crime a lot. We have great sociopolitical discussions, and I’m just like, bottom line, I go to the West Loop to hang out and it is always peaceful there. Without diminishing violence in safe areas, I maintain that it is peaceful most of the time

The worst thing is I think mainstream media has a bigger influence on those who did not grow up going to sleep to gun shots, and are actually frightened by the mere idea of witnessing that
A "true" New Yorker doesn't care about Chicago and doesn't even know where it's located. Anything west of the Hudson river might as well be Canada. Chicago is not mentioned anywhere for anything. The only rivalries NY has is with Philly and Boston, and those are sports related. The only other US city whose existence is acknowledged in conversation is LA. I wouldn't be surprised if London is mentioned more than Chicago.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:04 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
A "true" New Yorker doesn't care about Chicago and doesn't even know where it's located. Anything west of the Hudson river might as well be Canada. Chicago is not mentioned anywhere for anything. The only rivalries NY has is with Philly and Boston, and those are sports related. The only other US city whose existence is acknowledged in conversation is LA. I wouldn't be surprised if London is mentioned more than Chicago.
So pretty much New Yorkers are pretty ignorant to anything outside NY

Old 09-29-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Yes.
Outside of CA, FL, NJ, CT, PA, GA, and maybe MA I'd say the next most popular places would be international destinations, not other American cities/states. Remember, most New Yorkers don't even drive.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:42 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Quote:
Yes
Huge yes...

Old 09-29-2022, 12:15 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Yes.
Outside of CA, FL, NJ, CT, PA, GA, and maybe MA I'd say the next most popular places would be international destinations, not other American cities/states. Remember, most New Yorkers don't even drive.
Lol

Old 09-29-2022, 02:10 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Huge yes...

I agree.

Old 10-01-2022, 07:16 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
This is an extremely ignorant comment and so soooo untrue. This is like what the 23 y/o dirtbag from Brooklyn who has left the city twice (once to jersey and another to visit his aunt out in Long Island) in his whole life. In 1990.

While alot of New Yorkers are ignorant of places around them and can make that European stereotype of Americans not travelling come to life, New Yorkers are no outlier in this. New Yorkers travel/are wealthier than you think.

Tbh my NY friends travel almost as much as my Boston/Florida/Jersey friends.

Old 10-01-2022, 07:40 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
You forget Miami, Atlanta, Orlando*

Chicago is rival to NYC it closest thing to Manhattan The Loop, Near North Side, River North, Lincoln Park and Grant Park is like Bryant and Central Park

Brooklyn areas like Wicker Park, Logan Sqaure

Chicago bad areas mostly south and west side their few pockets on north but not too bad. In NYC it mostly South Bronx, pockets in Brooklyn, pockets in Queens, East Harlem, Washington Heights, Harlem in Manhattan, pockets in Northern Staten Island.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This is an extremely ignorant comment and so soooo untrue. This is like what the 23 y/o dirtbag from Brooklyn who has left the city twice (once to jersey and another to visit his aunt out in Long Island) in his whole life. In 1990.

While alot of New Yorkers are ignorant of places around them and can make that European stereotype of Americans not travelling come to life, New Yorkers are no outlier in this. New Yorkers travel/are wealthier than you think.

Tbh my NY friends travel almost as much as my Boston/Florida/Jersey friends.
New Yorkers do travel a lot, probably more than average American actually, but outside the states I already mentioned before, a lot of the travel is international, not domestic (except transplants visiting their hometowns). I guarantee, if you poll residents of NYC, a lot more people visited Cancun or Toronto or Bahamas or Padua than St. Louis or whatever. A lot more NYers have visited Guangzhou than Kansas city. Most of these middle American cities are not exactly attractive enough to travel to for people without a car, nor most people have any idea where these cities are located. (I am talking about regular people here, not C-D nerds). In casual conversation, everything past NJ is referred to as "Ohio". Don't ask me why, I have no idea where it came from.

Last edited by Gantz; 10-12-2022 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City