Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2023, 10:20 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when the Census Bureau is going to release updated county demographic data this month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 12:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
High level is for me like 23% and up. like 1.5x the national rate. A place being "Full of immigrants" gotta be over 35% if not 40%. Totally subjective.

Integration, Diversity, and Cosmopolitan are all different things that aren't the same -they're related- but not the same.

NYC is diverse and cosmopolitan not very integrated. Then you have places like Anchorage that are integrated but not very diverse or cosmopolitan. And then you have places like San Jose that are pretty cosmopolitan but not very diverse. Or places like Atlanta and DC are diverse but not very cosmopolitan.

DC and Boston seem pretty similar to me, the biggest difference being DC is a black-oriented and grided city, while Boston is a more white-oriented and ungridded city. If you can move beyond that, pretty similar... but DC is slightly larger, wealthier and better educated. But I don't think most people feel that's a big deal.

The defensiveness isn't really necessary... Im in DC with some degree of regularity even with people from DC and Maryland. As in numerous times within the last month... and had many friends there who lived 1 mile from the border. On a city level it's not on the Boston tier of international diversity, and probably more on a Chicago plain. On a Metro level, it surpasses Boston.
While I hear what you’re saying I’ve always thought Anchorage and Alaska as a whole, especially southern/islands of Alaska as diverse. While Anchorage is 57% White, it’s hyper-diverse in its minority population.

Old 03-13-2023, 02:05 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
While I hear what you’re saying I’ve always thought Anchorage and Alaska as a whole, especially southern/islands of Alaska as diverse. While Anchorage is 57% White, it’s hyper-diverse in its minority population.
True but when one group is firmly 5x the size of the next biggest group...you lose some points with me. It's a subjective thing, someone had to fall on the sword

Old 03-13-2023, 03:21 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
True but when one group is firmly 5x the size of the next biggest group...you lose some points with me. It's a subjective thing, someone had to fall on the sword
Isnt the Boston area like that though? Not the city, but the Urban Area, MSA, and CSA? I know those are still super ethnically diverse but not so much racially.

Old 03-13-2023, 04:24 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Isnt the Boston area like that though? Not the city, but the Urban Area, MSA, and CSA? I know those are still super ethnically diverse but not so much racially.
Yeah iirc Boston MSA is like 66% White, 12% Hispanic, 10% Asian and 7% Black.

By 2050, it will probably will be around 50% White, 20% Hispanic, 15% Asian and 9% Black

Old 03-13-2023, 04:57 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I see. I'd consider my neighborhood (Petworth/Brightwood area) one of the few cosmopolitan areas of DC proper, with AA, Jamaican, Salvadoran and other Central Americans, Guatemalan, Mexican, Ethiopians, and Dominicans being the biggest groups in my neighborhood. Biggest groups are by far AA, white Americans, then Salvadoran and surprisingly high amount of Dominicans, Jamaicans, and Ethiopians.

Yeah, my family in Boston (Haitians) live in Mattapan and some other town that starts with an M (Milton? Malden? not sure).
Yep don't forget Trinidadians, there's even some Colombians and Venezuelans in parts of Northwest. Uptown DC/ Petworth/ Brightwood and northward toward the Silver Spring line is most certainly "cosmopolitan" by definition, and definitely diverse. The numbers from some of those extra countries are smaller, so they maybe didn't make the list earlier, but they are there and you still notice the people. My cousin lives along GA Ave, and there's a very good mix in that part of the city. It's really the main part of DC that gives me a kind of Philly (ish) NE type of vibe.

So it's false to say DC doesn't have cosmopolitan aspects in the city proper because it does. It's just more prevalent in NW, and parts of NE. Then there's neighborhoods you can literally walk across the street to in MD with even greater continued diversity.

Last edited by the resident09; 03-13-2023 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-13-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I'm only talking about cities. What I quoted from you was about the city proper and the importance of the distinction between cities and MSA/UA. People living in Boston dont really care about and identify with the "MSA". If anything its contentious. Go to Reddit and they don't even consider Quincy to be Greater Boston and it abuts Boston.

Quote:
Per capita, Miami and Boston absolutely crush this list. I mean truly crush it. In terms of immigrant diversity. Both are under 50 square miles and less than 700k people. This is why I say Boston is probably top 5 most cosmopolitan city Ive ever been to...if you grew up in the city you would understand.
It's more than fair to say the diversity of Boston suburbs "lose some points with me" compared to Boston. The ethnic diversity, sheer size, and encaves help but yea. There are 222 home rule towns in Greater Boston, all of them over 250 years old and independently founded, and governed. You won't go to 90% of them and you won't meet people from them..after all Boston only has two interstates coming into it. Its why the area is notorious for class stratification and racial segregation. People tend to move to towns that have demographics they like and politics that reflect theirs.

Its why you find Lynnfield, Reading and Saugus are the only Red towns north of Boston in a sea of Blue. People move there specifically because they know they can find "their people" there and they can govern the town as they see fit. This often result in political pettiness and battles with business and ethnic communities in abutting towns that are more liberal or diverse. Heers a perfect example. Saugus files lawsuit to stop proposed marijuana shop on Lynn town line Lynn is 65%minority and veryyy blue. Saugus abuts it and is 85% white and republican and banned pot shops. A Black-owned Lynn dispensary' parking lot literally went 10 inches into the town line of Saugus and Saugus sued to stop its entire operation. The case was thrown out eventually.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-13-2023 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-13-2023, 05:19 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
I'm only talking about cities. What I quoted from you was about the city proper and the importance of the distinction between cities and MSA/UA. People living in Boston dont really care about and idnetify with the "MSA". If anything its contentious. Go to Reddit and they don't even consider Quincy to be Greater Boston and it abuts Boston.

It's more than fair to say the diversity of Boston suburbs "lose some points with me" compared to Boston. The ethnic diversity, sheer size, and encaves help but yea. There are 222 home rule towns in Greater Boston, all of them over 250 years old and independently founded, and governed. You won't go to 90% of them and you won't meet people from them..after all Boston only has two interstates coming into it. Its why the area is notorious for class straification and racial segregation. People tend to move to towns that have demographics they like and politics that reflect theirs. Its why you find Lynnfield, Reading and Saugus are the only Red towns north of Boston in a sea of Blue. People move there specifically because they know they can find "their people" there.
I agree with this.

As someone who grew up in Dorchester/Randolph/Canton (i have an identity crisis) Dorchester and Boston was jam packed with everyone.

Most diverse school I went to was in Boston.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

So it's false to say DC doesn't have cosmopolitan aspects in the city proper because it does. It's just more prevalent in NW, and parts of NE. Then there's neighborhoods you can literally walk across the street to in MD with even greater continued diversity.
It's not this black and white you can have cosmopolitan areas and still be less cosmopolitan than some other city hundreds of miles away.

It would be indeed false to say DC doesn't have cosmopolitan aspects that why its good nobody where would say that.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree with this.

As someone who grew up in Dorchester/Randolph/Canton (i have an identity crisis) Dorchester and Boston was jam packed with everyone.

Most diverse school I went to was in Boston.
When did you live in Dorchester? I thought you only lived in Randolph and Canton. Which school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City