Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best group of cities.
Georgia 67 69.07%
Illinois 30 30.93%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 02:25 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
As a former Illinois (Chicago suburbs) resident I went with Georgia. Having traveled throughout both states I think GA will definitely take this. As a side note, north GA is gorgeous geographically.
Yes, I was in Tallulah Gorge State Park recently and it's gorgeous: https://www.google.com/search?q=Tall...UBjyoCelCUuNVM

You have mountains, wonderful lakes, and the Chattahoochee national forest in north Georgia, great places for glamping. You have a mini Grand Canyon in the southern portion of the state in Providence Canyon State Park. A bit of the marshland/swamps (Okefenokee Swamp) also in the southern portion of the state and ocean/beaches in Tybee Island and Golden Isles, St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island, Brunswick, Cumberland Island (on Florida's border). It's a diverse state for nature.

Last edited by ShenardL; 10-04-2022 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 05:32 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Greenville SC is at 932,705
The Columbus CSA population is a better representation of the area. Auburn/Opelika, AL is its own MSA even though the Columbus MSA touches it. Only a matter of time before the MSAs combine. The CSA population is a little over 500,000.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:02 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Greenville SC is at 932,705

Oops that is just the Spartanburg MSA number from the Greenville–Spartanburg–Anderson CSA
It did seem surprisingly small to me which is why I put the (?) next to it.

Actual number is closer to what you said and then higher for the whole CSA or upstate region in general

Old 10-04-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Reading View Post
In the latest poll ranking the best small cities in the U.S., Illinois completely outranks Georgia. https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...-live-in/16581. Naperville, Aurora, Elgin, Elmhurst, Park Ridge, Peoria ( ever been there? ) Bloomington-Normal, Campaign Urbana, St. Charles, Evanston, Oak Park, Schaumburg, Wheaton, Galena and the Quad cities are all great cities. What does Georgia have besides Alpharetta, Savanna, Columbus, Decatur and Athens?

80% of these are in Chicago

It's like saying Georgia has Decatur and Sandy Springs, which I guess you did... We're supposed to be looking at cities besides the main one

Old 10-04-2022, 10:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Illinois has nothing like Savannah, so Georgia wins.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:50 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Reading View Post
In the latest poll ranking the best small cities in the U.S., Illinois completely outranks Georgia. https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...-live-in/16581. Naperville, Aurora, Elgin, Elmhurst, Park Ridge, Peoria ( ever been there? ) Bloomington-Normal, Campaign Urbana, St. Charles, Evanston, Oak Park, Schaumburg, Wheaton, Galena and the Quad cities are all great cities. What does Georgia have besides Alpharetta, Savanna, Columbus, Decatur and Athens?
In terms of QOL, Illinois-outside-Chicagoland probably does outrank Georgia-outside-Atlantaland. The urban cores of Peoria, Springfield, and Rockford are struggling, but their suburbs (where most people in those metros live) are probably better places to live than the suburbs of Macon, Savannah, and Columbus. And my sense is that the part of rural Illinois that's truly poor is mostly limited to the extreme southern part (Cairo, Mound City etc.) whereas Georgia has a lot of poor areas in Appalachia and the Black Belt.

Georgia's smaller cities may be more interesting and notable than Illinois', so I think this thread is really conflating two different questions.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:46 AM

There is a difference between rating the other cities of Illinois/Georgia versus the rest of the state of Georgia/Illinois. It's a fair point that the actual topic is the cities, and Georgia outside of Atlanta really gets the edge when it comes to the nature and small towns. Even with Savannah it might not have an edge on the other cities category

Old 10-05-2022, 05:39 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Georgia Wins !!

Savannah is Savannah
Augusta has "The Masters"
Sandy Springs can talk the talk with Naperville
Alpharetta can walk the walk with Joilet
Macon can go one on one with Peoria
Athens toe to toe with Champaign Urbana
And Columbus Georgia has that cool White Water Rafting thing downtown

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 10-05-2022 at 05:50 AM..

Old 10-05-2022, 07:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Yes, I was in Tallulah Gorge State Park recently and it's gorgeous: https://www.google.com/search?q=Tall...UBjyoCelCUuNVM

You have mountains, wonderful lakes, and the Chattahoochee national forest in north Georgia, great places for glamping. You have a mini Grand Canyon in the southern portion of the state in Providence Canyon State Park. A bit of the marshland/swamps (Okefenokee Swamp) also in the southern portion of the state and ocean/beaches in Tybee Island and Golden Isles, St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island, Brunswick, Cumberland Island (on Florida's border). It's a diverse state for nature.
Oh ya, we drive through the north GA area at least once a year when traveling to Florida. We've even considered relocating there but we'd have to find a good church. Funny thing is, south Georgia is such a different story. Flat, swampy... dare I say... sort of ugly lol. North GA totally makes up for it lol. South GA just feels like FL without the beaches haha.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:14 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Georgia Wins !!

Savannah is Savannah
Augusta has "The Masters"
Sandy Springs can talk the talk with Naperville
Alpharetta can walk the walk with Joilet
Macon can go one on one with Peoria
Athens toe to toe with Champaign Urbana
And Columbus Georgia has that cool White Water Rafting thing downtown
Columbus has a nice riverwalk area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4Z6onPgRs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City