Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best group of cities.
Georgia 67 69.07%
Illinois 30 30.93%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 07:41 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,160,062 times

Advertisements

Georgia and Illinois are two states both dominated by one large city/metro. Which state do you think has the best group of cities outside of its large city/metro area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 08:02 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Probably Georgia, for this comparison. Illinois does have a few smaller cities that are okay(i.e. Champaign, Bloomington, Peoria, Springfield), but certain ones are obviously past their peak(i.e. Decatur, Danville). I almost wonder if Jacksonville is past its peak, when I street viewed Jacksonville, IL not long ago. Quincy looked alright when I street viewed it, and I've always liked the small towns of Galena and Oregon myself. DeKalb is a nice smaller town, as well.

No denying Georgia has some cities that aren't doing well, such as Albany. That said, I do really like the hilliness of northern Georgia, myself. Southern Illinois has some cool towns like Carbondale, Murphysboro, and Metropolis(if just for the Superman statue), but my guess is Georgia might narrowly beat out Illinois, for secondary cities/towns outside of Chicago(and for Georgia, Atlanta). Will be interesting, how this thread goes.

One last thing for Georgia: I remember visiting Milledgeville years ago, and liking that town. Same for also liking Savannah, and Athens. I kinda want to visit Augusta, if just for the fact I noticed on street view, a few of its downtown streets have railroad street running of trains.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 PM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times
GA has more interesting places overall, like Athens, Helen, Savannah and other places that are doing fairly well like Rome, Macon and Augusta.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:26 PM

Georgia for me.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
GA has more interesting places overall, like Athens, Helen, Savannah and other places that are doing fairly well like Rome, Macon and Augusta.
And my hometown Columbus along with Thomasville and Lagrange are interesting places to visit too.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:31 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Georgia better. Illinois is segregated outside of Chicago. I can't stand being in places like that no matter the weed good.

Old 09-29-2022, 10:58 PM

829 posts, read 450,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Georgia better. Illinois is segregated outside of Chicago. I can't stand being in places like that no matter the weed good.
Chicago is also insanely segregated. But yeah I vote Georgia too. Chicago > Atlanta for sure but that’s where Illinois’ biggest advantage ends. Outside the major metros (Chicago and Atlanta) I think Georgia takes it. There’s no answer to a place like Savannah in the rest of Illinois. Champaign and Athens are kinda similar (though CU is going through a very big high rise boom in campustown for a city it’s size) but I prefer the rest of GA’s cities over the IL ones. Columbus is also a neat town.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:37 AM

496 posts, read 350,944 times
GA. IL is completely dominated by Chicago, whereas GA still has very unique cities like Savannah that draw a lot of people.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:48 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
I have never been to IL so totally not qualified to answer, but that will not keep me from doing so.

Georgia should easily win this. We have Savannah. Besides Columbus is a solid city that's underrated

Old 09-30-2022, 12:19 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Columbus is crushing the downtown development game, more so than Augusta, Macon and Rome for sure. All have a lot going for them compared to Illinois cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City