Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more culturally aligned with NYC
Western New York (Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Rochester) 4 5.71%
Delaware Valley (Philadelphia) 66 94.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 08:30 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,610,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Yes, this. Buffalo shares a license plate with NYC, that's about it. There are probably 10 metro areas more linked to NYC than Buffalo. Not that I think Philly is necessarily connected in any way outside of physical distance, but at least they share the Acela, the Northeast Corridor, the state of NJ and a few sports rivalries.
That's a bit of an undersell. It's fair to acknowledge that even though they're still distinctive regions, they've certainly grown "closer" in modern times.

Philadelphia and New York do have the 2nd most migratory interchange (only to Los Angeles<--> Riverside, CA) of any two metro areas in the US, leading to more sociocultural overlap than ever before.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-01-2022 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 09:00 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,526,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Philadelphia and New York do have the 2nd most migratory interchange (only to Los Angeles<--> Riverside, CA) of any two metro areas in the US, leading to more sociocultural overlap than ever before.

A little dated, but I think these numbers help give some perspective:

Northeast Corridor Intercity Travel Study

Old 12-01-2022, 11:11 AM

12,854 posts, read 9,591,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
A little dated, but I think these numbers help give some perspective:

Northeast Corridor Intercity Travel Study

*gasps* DC included with the northeast?

Old 12-01-2022, 01:13 PM

2,824 posts, read 2,291,718 times
Buffalo and Rochester share a common state government with NYC. Other than that it's hard to think of much they have in common. Philly is far more similar from a cultural and geographic point. I would say Lower New England, NJ and Eastern PA have more in common with NYC than Western NY does.

Western NY has more in common with North East Ohio and Western Pa and even MI than the northeast east of the Appalachians.

Albany vs Philly would perhaps be a closer contests.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:13 PM

918 posts, read 565,477 times
Delaware Valley waaaaaaay over western NY.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:55 PM

3,581 posts, read 3,085,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Buffalo and Rochester share a common state government with NYC. Other than that it's hard to think of much they have in common. Philly is far more similar from a cultural and geographic point. I would say Lower New England, NJ and Eastern PA have more in common with NYC than Western NY does.

Western NY has more in common with North East Ohio and Western Pa and even MI than the northeast east of the Appalachians.

Albany vs Philly would perhaps be a closer contests.
Buffalo shares:
- state government and state laws
- SUNY system with significant downstate-upstate student mixes
- more residents who migrated from NYC than from any other place in the country
- many Buffalo families have close ties with family in NYC
- despite proximity to CLE and TO, the Yankees are the most popular baseball team
- Buffalo is less like a small Manhattan/Brooklyn and more like a smaller Queens/Staten Island kind of city
- a sharp edge toward directness and a recognition and appreciation of sarcasm (busting balls)

Bottom line though is still Philly is more culturally similar.

Old 12-02-2022, 02:02 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 8 hours ago)

8,360 posts, read 5,521,256 times
Buffalo and NYC have about as much an common as Houston and Dalhart. Same state and that is it. Buffalo has more in common with Detroit and Cleveland.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:15 PM

14,196 posts, read 9,098,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Buffalo shares:
- state government and state laws
- SUNY system with significant downstate-upstate student mixes
- more residents who migrated from NYC than from any other place in the country
- many Buffalo families have close ties with family in NYC
- despite proximity to CLE and TO, the Yankees are the most popular baseball team
- Buffalo is less like a small Manhattan/Brooklyn and more like a smaller Queens/Staten Island kind of city
- a sharp edge toward directness and a recognition and appreciation of sarcasm (busting balls)

Bottom line though is still Philly is more culturally similar.
The stat I've heard is that more people move between NYC and Philadelphia than between any other two cities in the country. And for the past 20 years plus, the migration has been net towards Philadelphia.

Given how close the two cities are to each other — their metropolitan regions overlap — this makes sense to me, and I can't figure out how the migration to Buffalo would be greater.

Old 12-03-2022, 07:44 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,610,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Given how close the two cities are to each other — their metropolitan regions overlap — this makes sense to me, and I can't figure out how the migration to Buffalo would be greater.
My guess is the prior poster was referring to in-migration to the Buffalo area being disproportionately comprised of ex-metro NYCers on a percentage basis, although the total volume of in-migrants of course is much smaller compared to Philadelphia.

Old 12-03-2022, 07:48 AM

2,824 posts, read 2,291,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The stat I've heard is that more people move between NYC and Philadelphia than between any other two cities in the country. And for the past 20 years plus, the migration has been net towards Philadelphia.

I think the buffalo stat is that more people move to buffalo from NYC than any other place. Not too surprising given NYC is so much larger than any other nearby city. I suspect this is largely driven by people from NYC attending UB and some immigrant communities attracted to a low CoL and people with WNY roots returning after living in NYC for a few years

Last edited by jpdivola; 12-03-2022 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City