Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 07:14 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Knoxville has a more dense overall downtown, and there are a lot of historic old, beautiful buildings remaining. Greenville has those as well, but their downtown is not as large historically, and fewer buildings to draw from.
I agree that Knoxville has the edge on Greenville with respect to historic buildings, but I don't think that automatically gives it the advantage with respect to architecture given the fact that Greenville has a larger collection of well-designed newer buildings that give downtown in particular a somewhat unique aesthetic that is both quaint and modern.

Quote:
They need a loop on the west side. If you've ever driven from Asheville, NC down to Greenville, on US Highway 25...
Say no more as I've never made this drive and don't plan to.

Quote:
Greenville is not better than Knoxville with bars and restaurants--in my opinion. I speak from experience with both cities. Greenville is good, but Knoxville is better, largely due to the dynamic student population from Univ of TN.
I can believe that Knoxville has the advantage with bars due to UT, but not necessarily restaurants. In SC, Columbia arguably does better than Greenville with bars but Greenville would get the nod for restaurants. One (very smart) thing Greenville has intentionally done as part of its strategy to become more of a leisure destination is to leverage its relationship with in-state peer Charleston to bolster its own restaurant scene and that move has certainly been to its advantage.

Quote:
Knoxville has a diverse economy for its size. The region should pay more, but that's a problem in most areas of the southeast.
It does but I wouldn't be surprised if Greenville's more specialized economy has performed better over the past few years. It would be interesting to see the relevant stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 09:59 AM

542 posts, read 1,107,583 times
Both cool cities in my opinion. That being said, you might want to get some Tennessee orange if you go to Knoxville. This part of our country is among my favorites.

Old 12-10-2022, 03:46 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
In 1910 the populations were 15k and 36k. In 1920 they were 23k and 77k. So if you favor older buildings and houses, Knoxville has the edge. Especially downtown if you compare Main St to Gay St. Also Knoxville has many more Victorian and Craftsman houses.

That said, I do like very much the modern buildings in Greenville facing the Reedy west of main Street. I'm not sure how much of the rest of downtown infill is noteworthy. I find it interesting to look at the older buildings on Main Street and note none are taller than 3 stories. Exception being the Liberty building from 1924.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:27 PM

20 posts, read 24,613 times
haha I can't believe there are still people who still think that greenville is a 70k town hahaha greenville is the center of a metropolitan area close to 1 million a city is measured by its metropolitan area not just the 29 mile city do me the please greenville much more populated and much bigger

Old 12-12-2022, 11:41 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
But how could you possibly come to this conclusion if you've never even been there? Knoxville is much larger, with an equally robust economy. Yes, Greenville has a very attractive and impressive Downtown for its size, but large parts of the rest of the city look like a semi-rural dump.
Agreed. The west side of Greenville is not nice at all. Also agree that Greenville’s downtown is very nice.

Last edited by Lizap; 12-12-2022 at 11:54 PM..

Old 12-12-2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's actually about the same amount of time to really get into the mountains from Greenville as well. Peaks like Caesar's Head are closer but you still have to go a little further north to really be 'in' the mountains.
Good point. It takes about 45 minutes to be in the mountains. And to ‘really be in the mountains’ you’ll need to cross into western NC..

Old 12-12-2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That seems to be an 'Appalachian' thing more or less. I was a bit surprised to stumble across the parts of Chattanooga outside of downtown that looked like that also. And the outskirts of towns in Gaston County, NC, just west of Charlotte, had me thinking I was somewhere near the set of Deliverance the first time I drove through several years back. The less-than-glamorous parts of Greenville somewhat reminded me of the parts of Canton not yet touched by newer suburban development when I lived there circa 2010-2011.
There are mountain towns in western NC that are very nice (e.g., Hendersonville. Brevard, Black Mountain, Weaverville, Waynesville).

Old 12-13-2022, 12:07 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanjr View Post
haha I can't believe there are still people who still think that greenville is a 70k town hahaha greenville is the center of a metropolitan area close to 1 million a city is measured by its metropolitan area not just the 29 mile city do me the please greenville much more populated and much bigger
Yeah, but the Metro includes places like Anderson - which is quite a stretch.

Old 12-13-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, but the Metro includes places like Anderson - which is quite a stretch.
Correct. You can include the metro of any area near a city and get a higher population, Not sure what the point is..

Old 12-14-2022, 03:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanjr View Post
Suburban sprawl doesn't matter. I prefer "urban area" when doing city vs. city comparisons because they tend to go by contiguous densely-populated census tracts to include only the city propers and adjacent inner suburban areas. If Greenville was smarter they would have convinced more of those hundreds of thousands of suburbanites moving into tract housing to move into the city limits by building more vertically and denser. Then again to be fair both cities have a rather embarrassing population density of just ~2,000/square mile in their city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City