Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 12:39 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
University City is an inner suburb of St. Louis that should be considered as well. It was planned as a model city and dates to about 1905 and located just west of the Forest Park site of the World’s Fair.
St. Louis does have a nice collection of inner ring suburbs. They'd probably be part of the city limits in most metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 12:52 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
They need to gentrify the entire area west of Easton/ north of 27 and everything east of Suydam st to the river.

Put in a movie theatre, Target, Raising Canes Chicken and a few more items and it would be a bit more than ok.
I think we should be careful with gentrification.

Somerville was heavily gentrified in the 2010s.. and now Bound Brook is going through this. And Plainfield is not far behind.

Old 12-17-2022, 01:20 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
St. Louis does have a nice collection of inner ring suburbs. They'd probably be part of the city limits in most metros.
I suspect that much of inner St. Louis County would be part of the core city now were it not for the 1876 "Great Divorce."

Old 12-17-2022, 02:57 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think we should be careful with gentrification.
There’s definitely a “sweet spot” for gentrification between “drug/crime ridden hellhole” and “eating out means $10 beer and $20 truffle fries with garlic aioli”. Seems tricky for a place to halt the process in the middle, though.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
There’s definitely a “sweet spot” for gentrification between “drug/crime ridden hellhole” and “eating out means $10 beer and $20 truffle fries with garlic aioli”. Seems tricky for a place to halt the process in the middle, though.
Yeah nj has too much gentrification tho. Everything is assembly sq like now.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 12-17-2022 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-17-2022, 03:58 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah nj has too much gentrification tho. Everything is assembly sq like now.
So all of Trenton is Assembly Square?

You’ve got to encourage it where it could help balance things out (in MA this could be Fall River, Brockton, Fitchburg, Lynn, Lawrence, Lowell, Southbridge, Holyoke, Springfield) but not let it get to a point where current residents are priced out or financially hurt.

Meanwhile you’ve got to stop it in places where it’s going too far (Somerville is a good example).

In MA, I feel like Salem and Haverhill are vaguely around the sweet spot. Worcester might be around there too.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
So all of Trenton is Assembly Square?

You’ve got to encourage it where it could help balance things out (in MA this could be Fall River, Brockton, Fitchburg, Lynn, Lawrence, Lowell, Southbridge, Holyoke, Springfield) but not let it get to a point where current residents are priced out or financially hurt.

Meanwhile you’ve got to stop it in places where it’s going too far (Somerville is a good example).

In MA, I feel like Salem and Haverhill are vaguely around the sweet spot. Worcester might be around there too.
Well not trenton lol ... or Passaic Payerson and Northern Newark

More like
Cranford
Fanwood
Garwood
Westfield
Bound Brook
Somerville
Rahway
Linden
Perth Amboy
Jersey City
Hackensack
1/2 New Brunswick
Secaucus
Kearny
Ironbound Newark
Harrison
Bayonne
Weehawken
Union City
West New York
Asbury Park
Long Branch

Old 12-18-2022, 04:46 AM

109 posts, read 122,391 times
I am from NJ and lived in true suburbs. I dont consider hoboken or jersey city that nice because they are full of dirty buildigns lack green space. I now live in arlington and alexandria and have acces to green space and still dont need car, bike, walk or triain bus everwhere. I think cambridge is like this too and evanstown.
People value areas outside cities that dont feel like the hectic dirty high skyscrpaer feel of a city. in fact, arlington is on verge of becoming this because lack of county government abilty to say NO to corporate real estate power.
amazon hq will change this county forever, they are knockign down all old homes and buildign cookie cutter townhomes, retail, and nobody is doing anything. i am leaving for that reason, high skycrapers and noise equal city to me.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:22 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
I am from NJ and lived in true suburbs. I dont consider hoboken or jersey city that nice because they are full of dirty buildigns lack green space. I now live in arlington and alexandria and have acces to green space and still dont need car, bike, walk or triain bus everwhere. I think cambridge is like this too and evanstown.
People value areas outside cities that dont feel like the hectic dirty high skyscrpaer feel of a city. in fact, arlington is on verge of becoming this because lack of county government abilty to say NO to corporate real estate power.
amazon hq will change this county forever, they are knockign down all old homes and buildign cookie cutter townhomes, retail, and nobody is doing anything. i am leaving for that reason, high skycrapers and noise equal city to me.
Arlington planned its own urbanization back in 1961 when it zoned the area to the south of the Pentagon and the area around the path of the future Orange Line for high-density development. And it did the same with the Shirley Highway (I-395) corridor. I don't think the county government was inclined to "say no to corporate real estate power" to begin with given all this, and given that this has gone on for a while, it appears that Arlington County voters don't worry about it overmuch either. It does comprise most of the Virginia portion of the 10-mile-square original District of Columbia, after all.

Old 12-18-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
So you dont like urban areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City