Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 01:31 PM

16,108 posts, read 10,775,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It’s a good list. I would probably add Bethesda/Chevy Chase and Clayton, MO (very underrated but very cool urban inner ring St. Louis suburb).
University City is an inner suburb of St. Louis that should be considered as well. It was planned as a model city and dates to about 1905 and located just west of the Forest Park site of the World’s Fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 07:17 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
University City is an inner suburb of St. Louis that should be considered as well. It was planned as a model city and dates to about 1905 and located just west of the Forest Park site of the World’s Fair.

I like University City and thought it was quaint. It missed the 50K population marker the video was using, but it did once have a 50K population.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:15 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
As a former New Brunswick resident, New Brunswick is absolutely horrible. I love Jersey to death but New Brunswick was making me want to leave fast.
Overpriced and some parts are full of crime yes, but horrible? IDK about that and I also used to live in NB. Crime has gone down significantly also since the 90s.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:33 AM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Overpriced and some parts are full of crime yes, but horrible? IDK about that and I also used to live in NB. Crime has gone down significantly also since the 90s.
I just did not like it.. especially to everywhere else NJ offers. Hard pass.

Old 12-16-2022, 02:59 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I just did not like it.. especially to everywhere else NJ offers. Hard pass.
I wonder if it's possible you lived in a particularly **** block or had particularly bad luck.

Old 12-16-2022, 05:25 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder if it's possible you lived in a particularly **** block or had particularly bad luck.
The new part off of George St.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:00 PM

4,430 posts, read 5,161,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They need to gentrify the entire area west of Easton/ north of 27 and everything east of Suydam st to the river.

Put in a movie theatre, Target, Raising Canes Chicken and a few more items and it would be a bit more than ok.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:55 AM

3,549 posts, read 2,341,146 times
I mean what are we considering a suburb?

Annapolis is technically a suburb of Baltimore/DC. But it's a lot different in form/function than lets say Bethesda or Towson, MD which are more edge/satellite cities.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:24 PM

1,205 posts, read 800,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

Annapolis is technically a suburb of Baltimore/DC. But it's a lot different in form/function than lets say Bethesda or Towson, MD which are more edge/satellite cities.
Annapolis is definitely weird case b/c of the rural separation (even though it's only like 3-4 miles) between Annapolis to points west/NW via US-50 and I-97. Route 2 (Ritchie Highway) is 15 miles of strip malls from Glen Burnie all the way down to Arnold, though.

Making things more weird is that Annapolis definitely has its own "suburb" like Arnold/Cape St. Claire to the north, Riva/Edgewater across South River, and of course Parole which is the most suburbia of all with the mall surrounded by big box stores and strip malls with large parking lots. The historic part and Eastport are both quite urban, though...

Making things even more confusing is that Annapolis is well within Baltimore urban area, unlike other outer satellite towns like Frederick MD or Fredericksburg VA.

P.S. I live near Crofton...no matter whether I drive MD-450 or US-50 or I-97 to Annapolis I have to pass through that area which are definitely rural in characteristic.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:34 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

As its state's capital (and home to the oldest state capitol building still in use in the country), Annapolis has always had a reason for being independent of the two larger cities roughly equidistant from it (or close enough, though Annapolis' county, Anne Arundel, is in the Baltimore MSA).

Thus it functions as neither true suburb nor edge city. Instead, it actually is a "satellite city" — an already existing urban center that got overrun by the suburban expansion of a nearby larger city. Satellite cities often have suburbs of their own as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City