Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 04:48 PM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Most of West Virginia would get more snow and cold than Tennessee, although less than New England. Kentucky which is in between the two states may be worth considering as well. It is generally more prosperous and a bit milder than West Virginia, and has cheaper housing than Tennessee with many topographic similarities.

Jackson County, AL is close to both Huntsville and Chattanooga and it is scenic with the Tennessee River and surrounding mountains. It would have more heat and humidity than further north however.
I would say that is the case, but definitely avoid any mining counties in Kentucky that have mountaintop removal as they have severe problems. On Google Maps, most of those areas can't be easily identified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 05:04 PM

3,167 posts, read 2,219,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would say that is the case, but definitely avoid any mining counties in Kentucky that have mountaintop removal as they have severe problems. On Google Maps, most of those areas can't be easily identified.
I think the more appealing smaller counties in Kentucky are in the Bluegrass on the outskirts of metro Lexington followed by the Pennyrile area further south/southwest. These are away from the mining areas.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:22 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
I would consider McMinnville, TN. It is more affordable than Cookeville or Crossville. It offers a nice village historic downtown. The area is hilly, but not too hilly. I also like that it is large enough to have grocery stores, medical services, and shopping. It's proximity to Nashville and Chattanooga areas are nice. You are also close to Murfreesboro and Cookeville if you do not want to go all the way into Nashville for things. I have some family there and the people are really nice.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:33 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Kentucky would obviously have shorter and less intense summers than Florida, but there is still a fair amount of heat and humidity. In general the risk of tornadoes and severe weather events goes down a bit moving east within the state. There are plenty of low population towns that aren't overly isolated.
I think some others danced around this, but eastern Kentucky and West Virginia share not only mountainous terrain and mining as an industry but also poverty as things in common.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:48 AM

127 posts, read 143,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I would consider McMinnville, TN. It is more affordable than Cookeville or Crossville. It offers a nice village historic downtown. The area is hilly, but not too hilly. I also like that it is large enough to have grocery stores, medical services, and shopping. It's proximity to Nashville and Chattanooga areas are nice. You are also close to Murfreesboro and Cookeville if you do not want to go all the way into Nashville for things. I have some family there and the people are really nice.
I agree. I mention Crossville as it’s the place with most name recognition on top of the plateau. I’m very open to a smaller more rural community. I do prefer to be up on the plateau at the higher elevation than Cookeville.

Old 03-28-2023, 04:07 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,664,054 times
Quote:
Kentucky would obviously have shorter and less intense summers than Florida, but there is still a fair amount of heat and humidity. In general the risk of tornadoes and severe weather events goes down a bit moving east within the state. There are plenty of low population towns that aren't overly isolated.
Thank you jas75, that is helpful. Are you talking in Ky (the low population towns that aren't overly isolated)?

Old 03-28-2023, 04:10 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,664,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
This is great info! Thank you, I will check out McMinnville, Tn!

Old 03-28-2023, 08:27 AM

730 posts, read 818,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
This is great info! Thank you, I will check out McMinnville, Tn!
I would avoid McMinnville ("McMethville") at all costs. There's a reason it's so cheap and not growing. Check instead Sparta which is smaller (pop. 5,000) but still has most things that McMinnville does and is just as quaint and scenic (if not more), plus it's only 10 minutes from Cookeville which has things like Sam's Club, movie theaters, Publix, better health care, etc. Schools in Sparta aren't as good as in Cookeville (but much better than in McMinnville) which helps explain why it's cheaper than Cookeville. But it's a great, cheaper alternative to Cookeville and still puts you in the thick of a beautiful area with lakes, waterfalls, and (small) mountains.

Last edited by BuffaloHome; 03-28-2023 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-28-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Thank you jas75, that is helpful. Are you talking in Ky (the low population towns that aren't overly isolated)?
Yes, that would apply to small towns in much of central Kentucky.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think some others danced around this, but eastern Kentucky and West Virginia share not only mountainous terrain and mining as an industry but also poverty as things in common.
Agreed - the more desirable parts of Kentucky tend to be further west in the Bluegrass, away from West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City