Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 07:37 PM

127 posts, read 142,679 times

Advertisements

Not City vs. City but rather State vs. State since I am not familiar with any towns or cities in WV.

I've been making trips to TN for the past 5 years with a focus on making that my retirement destination when I finish my work in Florida. I very much like the Crossville area on Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau. Many other areas of Tennessee I like, too. I'm really flexible so long as I can find the house I want, in the setting I want, and with the climate I want.

For the most part, TN fit the bill with the climate I'm looking for and being able to find a modest house on wooded acreage for a reasonable price. Over the past few years TN has been discovered by many causing the home prices to shoot up there and the cost of living to increase far beyond what it was when I first started doing my research and scouting trips. The population of TN has been rising rapidly. Much quicker than infrastructure is keeping up with.

I'm wondering if West Virginia may be a good alternative with regard to cost of living, a real estate market where my housing dollars may go further than in TN, and a climate that is not too much harsher than TN is in the winter months.

What I like about TN is the outside activities, geography of the middle and east sections of the State, little snow that seldom sticks around for much more than a day, low property taxes and no State income tax. Any thoughts on how WV compares in these regards.

Stretching my modest retirement income is paramount for me, but I will not put up with a long frigid winter season just to live in a place with a lower cost of living than TN. I grew up in Massachusetts. There is no way I will ever put myself in a predicament to live again through winters like those of New England.

Please help me decide if I should put the time into researching and visiting West Virginia with the intent of determining if it's a good lower cost alternative for me compared to Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 03:53 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,659,831 times
I am really sorry no one commented on this thread because I would find it interesting.
Tn and Wv are similar in climate (I think). I would ask to compare cities of same population.
I know Gallipolis Ferry Wv is less than 1000 population, and interests me.
I would be curious where firemediceric landed.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:01 PM

127 posts, read 142,679 times
As I continue to research I keep coming back to deciding on Tennessee or Jackson County Alabama.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:09 PM

Jackson County Alabama is news to me. What cities in Tn have you researched?
(Thank you for answering me)

Old 03-26-2023, 04:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
I am really sorry no one commented on this thread because I would find it interesting.
Tn and Wv are similar in climate (I think). I would ask to compare cities of same population.
I know Gallipolis Ferry Wv is less than 1000 population, and interests me.
I would be curious where firemediceric landed.
No, they aren't similar, most of WV is usually colder and snowier, but highly dependent on elevation. Elkins, WV has a similar climate to rural PA with far more snowfall.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:12 PM

I just looked up Jackson County Alabama's population. You are looking for a much bigger city than I am. Is population important to you?

Old 03-26-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, they aren't similar, most of WV is usually colder and snowier, but highly dependent on elevation. Elkins, WV has a similar climate to rural PA with far more snowfall.
Ok, good to know.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:24 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Most of West Virginia would get more snow and cold than Tennessee, although less than New England. Kentucky which is in between the two states may be worth considering as well. It is generally more prosperous and a bit milder than West Virginia, and has cheaper housing than Tennessee with many topographic similarities.

Jackson County, AL is close to both Huntsville and Chattanooga and it is scenic with the Tennessee River and surrounding mountains. It would have more heat and humidity than further north however.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Most of West Virginia would get more snow and cold than Tennessee, although less than New England. Kentucky which is in between the two states may be worth considering as well. It is generally more prosperous and a bit milder than West Virginia, and has cheaper housing than Tennessee with many topographic similarities.

Jackson County, AL is close to both Huntsville and Chattanooga and it is scenic with the Tennessee River and surrounding mountains. It would have more heat and humidity than further north however.
Now I was checking out Russellville Ky (low population) so that is good to me, I will check out more of Ky, thank you for that. I am all about milder. I am in Fl now and trying to escape the humidity.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:41 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Now I was checking out Russellville Ky (low population) so that is good to me, I will check out more of Ky, thank you for that. I am all about milder. I am in Fl now and trying to escape the humidity.
Kentucky would obviously have shorter and less intense summers than Florida, but there is still a fair amount of heat and humidity. In general the risk of tornadoes and severe weather events goes down a bit moving east within the state. There are plenty of low population towns that aren't overly isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City