Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would be a better winter destination?
Austin 50 70.42%
Chicago 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 03:58 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,456,101 times

Advertisements

The average high for January in Austin is in the low 60s. That's still pretty nice relative to most of country. In all likelihood, unless you are quite cold intolerant, it will still be nice to do outdoor activities at the least during the afternoon. Sure there's a chance there'll be a cold snap, but it will almost surely be at least 20 degrees warmer than Chicago, if not more.

I'm sure you could still have lots of fun in Chicago, but personally, if I am going to travel that far in the wintertime, I want to travel somewhere with either a) pleasant weather or b) superb skiing. I too would leave Chicago for a summertime visit, even if prices are higher -- they'll be higher for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 05:50 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
Thanks for the responses, everybody!

Definitely leaning toward Austin. As mentioned, I’m tolerant of the extreme cold being from Boston (or Chicago wouldn’t even be considered!) but the idea of missing out on fun activities that I can only experience when it’s warmer sounds heartbreaking. And my timeframe would be more around MLK Day then Lunar New Year, so that’s not a draw. I’ll probably make the trip when the weather’s better.

On the flip side, missing “free week” is a bummer because I love live music. But I figured that Barton Springs would be a total no-go in the winter. To hear that it’s still open is a pretty big game changer. I’m 100% down to swim if the water is warm enough!

Old 12-11-2022, 07:23 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,474,214 times
I'd definitely go with Austin.

Austin can get cold though too, and is unpredictable with its weather, but it will be much more mild there-most likely-than Chicago.

Chicago's winters can be brutal, but also there can be warm spells there at times in January, which is super unusual but just like anywhere else at times--especially lately it seems.

I was in Austin in early March this year, and we were expecting it to be warm. Well, unfortunately the days we picked to be there were like a roller coaster, weather-wise. It was like a high of 80 the first day, then the second it started getting really windy and was like in the high 60s. Then the next day it was 50 and rainy, and then like 45 and rainy the last day. It was nuts.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,226,596 times
Sorry, still Chicago. A city’s caliber isn’t seasonal. At least, not for those who aren’t so one dimensional.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:04 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,456,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Sorry, still Chicago. A city’s caliber isn’t seasonal. At least, not for those who aren’t so one dimensional.
Well that's true, but one's reasons for choosing to travel somewhere (or not) is not necessarily a reflection of a city's holistic caliber. In fact, you can be one dimensional when traveling. It's okay! IMO, the best time to visit various cities / regions of the USA is totally seasonal. While choosing to live somewhere, yes, the climate should be but one of many factors.

Old 12-13-2022, 04:12 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Really kind of a silly thing to say.

If you had only one chance to travel, and it was between Chicago and Austin, I’d visit Chicago. But as far as I know, the OP isn’t 90 and terminally ill. So, why not do a moderate city in the winter, the alternative northern in the summer?

Yes, you can have fun in Chicago in the winter. Heck of a lot more fun in the summer, though.

Old 12-13-2022, 04:32 PM

151 posts, read 88,340 times
I went to Austin last January and it got down to 28F and just snowed the day before according to some locals. I was in shock! I don’t think that’s very common but it can happen. Chicago is way more likely to have nasty weather around that time. I’d go with Austin.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:42 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
I went to Austin last January and it got down to 28F and just snowed the day before according to some locals. I was in shock! I don’t think that’s very common but it can happen. Chicago is way more likely to have nasty weather around that time. I’d go with Austin.
It is safe to assume that 28 will be the high in Chicago during that trip in January. But, should a cold spell run through it’d bring it down to single digits or even -10/-20. Chicagos always good for a few of those in January.

It is safe to assume Austin highs will be around 60. But it’s not an impossibility that it could get to freezing. Unlikely, but as you said, it’s happened.

You can’t do anything in Chicago during a cold spell. It’s a ghost town. If it’s bad enough, kids don’t go to school, parents stay home and work. Foot traffic is nearly non existent in most parts of the city. In Austin, the absolute worst case scenario, is the weather mirrors the average January day in Boston.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:03 AM

7,412 posts, read 6,571,094 times
Crap shoot with the weather in Chicago…could get lucky and get a non windy 40+ degree day or more likely it could be cold as f*k. Normally, I’d go with Chicago 8 days a week but not that time of year, particularly since it is such a great walking city which you won’t want to do much of if the conditions are frigid. Go to Austin, save Chicago for late March through early November.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:25 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,960,521 times
Too bad Chicago doesn't really have a skywalk system like the Twin Cities nor an "underground city" like Toronto or Montreal (or Houston for that matter). The core really could support both of those, especially to simply walk from a Loop station to an underused office building thanks to the WFH revolution. Heck, I don't know how deep the Chicago River is downtown, but a couple tunnels below those to connect to the Near North/Near West sides would be awesome. If that was the case, I'd easily visit Chicago to take advantage of the low-season hotel rates. That said, with the NBA/NHL in midseason form, with the Blackhawks and Bulls struggling, you may be able to snag a cheap seat to see a game (OKC, Golden State, and Detroit play in mid-January at the United Center, along with NHL defending champs Colorado along Seattle and Buffalo as well if you're into icing and checking). January tends to be a great month for shopping as well, as retailers clear the old year's inventory to make way for a new year's set of goods, and Chicago by far as the more interesting options, and best of all, it's in a climate-controlled environment. But if you're in for the outdoors, Austin easily, since Chicago isn't a particularly great place for winter recreation outside of ice skating and perhaps a little ice fishing. That said, I voted Austin since coming from New England, it will make a nice escape from Old Man Winter in some degree or another, plus you get to experience a city that's much less like your region as opposed to Chicago, which shares that similar "northern culture" with New England cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City