Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Mexico City 41 70.69%
Philadelphia 17 29.31%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 06:06 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,324,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Raw numbers alone don't necessarily have a bearing on diversity, history, architecture, parks, quality of museums or even transit.
There is heavy correlation

Obviously above a certain threshold of population the quality of what cities offer (architecture, museums, parks, history etc..) plateaus and the additional population becomes arbitrary. (NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo)

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-08-2023 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 06:32 PM

11,795 posts, read 8,008,183 times
All of these easily go to Mexico city except for maybe Safety.. ..and thats a maybe...

Old 01-08-2023, 06:55 PM

1,320 posts, read 867,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
All of these easily go to Mexico city except for maybe Safety.. ..and thats a maybe...
Mexico City is actually pretty safe. It's not like other cities in Mexico. In 2022, CDMX has a homicide rate on par with Los Angeles, and about 1/3rd that of Philadelphia.

Old 01-08-2023, 07:35 PM

376 posts, read 210,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Mexico City is actually pretty safe. It's not like other cities in Mexico. In 2022, CDMX has a homicide rate on par with Los Angeles, and about 1/3rd that of Philadelphia.

I'd imagine some neighborhoods in Philadelphia has the level of drug turf wars that some of the Mexican cities do minus the extra sadistic festivities.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:15 PM

1,047 posts, read 569,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Yes and no.

In the wealthy touristy area in the loop it’s fairly safe. I felt absolutely safe walking around (with common sense) in the loop.

For the Mexican top 1% though, through an acquaintance of mine (whose sister is married into a very wealthy Mexican business family.) I heard that they often wouldn’t give the valet parking guy their car key (for fear of car bombs planted.) ; flew often on the helicopters from one end of the city to another (for traffic jam and for potential carjack as kidnapping is common.); and hired security team/body guard for safety precaution. (They live in San Angel.)

Mexican drug cartels are hardcore and real.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:39 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,211,422 times
Mexico City does have a very mild and stable climate which has no equivalent in the United States, and certainly not Philadelphia which has plenty of humidity, severe weather and large seasonal fluctuations.

But I expect quite a few people would have problems dealing with Mexico City's high altitude and air pollution. And even in less prosperous parts of the US including some highly depressed parts of Philadelphia, people can usually count on potable tap water and reliable electricity.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:03 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
This one has never been done before. Compare these two cities on the following:

Economy
Global Significance
Diversity
Weather
Food Scene
Local Culture
Parks
Museums
Walkability
Street Vibrancy
Transit
Architecture
History
Education
Nightlife
Shopping
Safety
Tourism
Cost of Living
Outdoor Recreation
Economy: Philly benefits greatly by being in the US.

Global significance: CDMX. It’s the largest city and capital of a large country

Diversity: Philly. CDMX is not the most diverse place, but you’ll find a lot of immigrants in Cuauhtémoc.

Weather: CDMX most of the year.

Food scene: CDMX is one of the best food cities in the world. IMO, the best in North America

Local culture: CDMX. There’s just no comparison. There’s nothing like the festivals in the street in Coyoacán during day of the dead, or el centro on September 15 for example.

Parks: CDMX has some of the best nature/city integration that I’ve ever seen. Philly has nice squares in center city, but I think fairmount park is such a failure. It’s ruined by all the highways. El bosque de Chapultepec is much superior as a main city park, but I hate that it’s closed on Monday’s. That’s kind of crazy to me.

Museums: CDMX is fighting for 1st place in North America for museum scene. Up there with NYC and Washington DC. Philly is still great though. The Mütter museum is one of my favorites in the whole world.

Walkability: CDMX wins for having more pedestrian-only streets, but both are great. I also love how CDMX has tree-lined walkways in the middle of many major avenues. It’s also IMO the best bike city in North America.

Street vibrancy: CDMX. There’s just no comparison to all the street vendors, delicious food, and fresh markets you can randomly stumble into while walking around CDMX.

Transit: CDMX for transit within the city, but Philly for transit outside of the city. The CDMX Metro is much more extensive and superior to the 2 lines that Philly has, but the SEPTA regional rail, PATCO, and NJT trains all over the Philly region honestly give Philly the advantage here. Mexico City does not have anything like it. Just for that I’d give Philly the slight edge, even though I think rapid transit is the most important form of a city transit IMO. The buses are far superior in CDMX though.

Architecture: CDMX. Philly is one of the best architectural cities in the US, but CDMX is too historical and beautiful in this category

History: although Philly is one of the most historical cities in the US, Mexico City is much older and more significant historically.

Education: Philly. Has an Ivy League school as well as many other top tier universities.

Nightlife; CDMX, but Philly has been improving a lot lately on this front

Shopping: Philly if you include the region. Like KOP for example. Philly really needs a better fashion scene though in the city itself. Not just the high end brands, but streetwear and individual stores as well. The fashion scene is heavily lacking there. CDMX wins if only looking at the city itself, but it also could improve some more.

Safety: Mexico has lots of issues, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t visit or that CDMX is unsafe to visit. I’ll pass on this one

Tourism:CDMX. It’s just a much bigger city with more to see and do

Cost of living: CDMX if you’re American, but if you’re Mexican then the income inequality is much more intense there than it is in US cities.

Outdoor recreation: CDMX. There’s much more nature integrated into the city than Philly, or really any US city.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:10 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Raw numbers alone don't necessarily have a bearing on diversity, history, architecture, parks, quality of museums or even transit.
This is true. It’s not a complete blowout either. CDMX deserves to be talked about more on here, so I think it’s a great thread

Old 01-09-2023, 07:21 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Quote:
This one has never been done before. Compare these two cities on the following:

Economy
Global Significance
Diversity
Weather
Food Scene
Local Culture
Parks
Museums
Walkability
Street Vibrancy
Transit
Architecture
History
Education
Nightlife
Shopping
Safety
Tourism
Cost of Living
Outdoor Recreation
I can imagine other criteria where Philadelphia could be a little more competitive but for these ones it is mostly a blow out

Economy:Close, mostly because of the US$ bias in the measuring of GDP. Even so Mexico City has the largest and more diverse economy. It houses the second largest stock exchange in Latin America, and produces over 15% of the national GDP. Philadelphia's economy is gonna have better per capita numbers but the economy of Mexico City is more important nationally and globally.

Global Significance: Mexico City by a VERY long way. CdM is the largest Spanish-speaking city in the world and arguably that world's cultural capital. It hosts many of the largest and most important Spanish language publishing houses, television and film production companies, art galleries, music studios etc. What is made there has truly global reach from Manila to Tierra del Fuego. Philadelphia is a great city but it has NOWHERE near the global reach or significance of Mexico City.

Diversity: Depends on how you measure. Much more linguistic diversity in Mexico City. Depending on how you count, there are up to 300 Indigenous languages in Mexico, you will hear some of them spoken on the streets of Mexico City. There are a range of expat communities but I can see how you could give this one to Philadelphia.

Weather: Mexico City has close to perfect year round weather: rarely gets above 80 F and even more rarely gets below 40F. Weather is always gonna be subjective. Philadelphia has much greater extremes of heat and cold. Only coastal Southern California in the US has comparable weather to CdM. For me, big win for Mexico City

Food Scene: Philadelphia is a good eating town, but not in the league of Mexico City. I agree with the poster above who called it the best eating city in North America. Really only NYC compares. From the best street food I have ever eaten to some of the best fine dining restaurants in the world, Mexico City is restaurant paradise at every price point. Equidistant from the Pacific and the Gulf, the second largest fish market in the world is in Mexico City. Seafood is fresh and spectacular, The best Sushi I have eaten outside of Japan has been in CdM. Mild climate, long growing season, short supply chains means that generally produce is much fresher and better than anything that ends up in a U.S. supermarket. Coffee is also mostly excellent and while the best Tequila is from Jalisco and the best Mezcal is form Oaxaca, it all finds its way to the capital. The food scene in Philadelphia is good, but Mexico City's food scene blows it out of the water, Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia is pretty great. There are more than thirty such markets in Mexico City- many bigger and better. Not even close.

Local culture? Do you prefer bullfights to American football etc. Mexico City is the primate city of a country with one of the most fascinating cultures on the planet. What is local culture in Philly? Entirely subjective.

Parks: Again, very easily Mexico City. Chapultepec is one of the try great urban parks in the world. Its peers are the Bois de Boulogne in Paris, Central Park in New York and the Imperial Gardens in Tokyo. It is massive, houses half a dozen excellent museums, a Hapsburg castle. While Mexico City could do with a little more green space there are beautiful pocket parks scattered throughout the core: Mexico, Espagne and Alameda are all spectacular.

Museums: You have to be joking. There are over 200 museums in Mexico City, many world class. I would be surprised if Philly has half that number . . .

Walkability: Easily Mexico City and over a much bigger area . . .

Street vibrancy. I have never seen street markets of the number and size that you find in most Mexico City neighborhoods. The climate is also much more friendly to year round al fresco dining and drinking. Mexico City by a very long way

Transit. Mexico City traffic is not for the feint-hearted, so easier to get around Philadelphia by car. Public transit is much more frequent and extensive in CdM.

Architecture: This one is actually a joke. Mexico City has been a center of wealth and power for over a thousand years, and the traces are there. What would the Philly equivalent to the pyramids of the Sun and Moon be? Rittenhouse Square is lovely but it looks tiny and positively suburban compared to the Zocalo. Philly has charming eighteenth and nineteenth-century row houses neighborhoods. There are more extent 16th, 17th and 18th century buildings in Mexico City than there are in Madrid, plus the beautiful Art Nouveaux Porfirian neighborhoods like Condesa and Roma Norte. Then there are the many gorgeous old colonial towns that the city has swallowed up, most famously Coyoacan and San Angel. There is one UNESCO World Heritage site in Philadelphia - Independence Hall. The entire 3.5 square miles and some 1500 plus buildings in the Centro Historic in CdM are a World Heritage Site. And then there is Luis Barragan and Mexican Modernism. I could go on, but you are getting the picture. There is a lot of ghastly seventies cinderblock infill in Mexico City and Philadelphia has its share of bombed out blight, but you have to be on crack to think Philadelphia is remotely in the same architectural league as Mexico City.

History: see Architecture, plus the floating islands of Xochimilco in the south of the city can plausibly claim to be the oldest continually cultivated agricultural land in the hostly of the world. There is a lot more history in the valley of Mexico than there is in Philadelphia . . .

Education: I can give this one to Philadelphia, though it is close, but Penn probably edges UNAM. Temple/Drexel and Ibero are kinda a wash. There is no answer to the slew of truly excellent liberal arts colleges in the Philadelphia suburbs in Mexico City, but similarly there is no Philadelphia equivalent to the Colegio de Mexico. But Philadelphia here.

Nightlife; Philadelphia has improved, but Mexico City can be WILD. Clubbing is often 24/7. Restaurants are often open until 2am or later. Philadelphia is a bit tame in comparison.

Shopping: I give this to Mexico City - fabulous street markets in many neighborhoods, and many specialty stores- I love the old fashioned sweet shops, cobblers, hardware stores etc. There are many suburban malls, not good as KOP, but I don't care, and then there is no street in Philadelphia that can hold a candle to President Masaryk in Polanco for high end designer retail.

Safety: You are more likely to be the victim of petty crime in Mexico City but three times as likely to be murdered in Philadelphia according to the stats. I feel plenty safe in both cities - just pay attention to your surroundings.

Tourism: They are both great places to visit. CdM is just on a other scale. I think you can do the highlights of Philly in 3-4 days. I have spent months in Mexico City and feel like I have only scratched the surface.

COL. I think Philadelphia along with Chicago are the best urban bang for your buck in the English-speaking world. If you are being paid in US$ Mexico City is absurdly cheap.

Outdoor recreation: Since Mexico City has better parks, is ringed by mountains, there is better hiking etc. Philadelphia is closer to beaches. Mexico City has much more beautiful environs, but my sense is that no- one visits either place for outdoor recreation . . .

That said, for a number of reasons I could imagining choosing to live in Philadelphia over Mexico City. I spent my 20s in Manhattan and while I loved it, at this point in my life I would rather visit a mega-city than live in one.

But for the criteria listed by the OP, I think Mexico City is a full tier above Philadelphia, with only education and diversity being Philadelphia leans . . .

Old 01-09-2023, 10:00 PM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Local culture? Do you prefer bullfights to American football etc.
I didn't mention sports but Mexico City is one of the few cities in the world that is about equal to Philly in boxing pedigree. The city produced legends such as Marco Antonio Barrera, Juan Manuel Marquez, Carlos Zarate and Ruben Olivares. Jose Napoles also trained in Mexico City when he left Cuba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoK8bgLaC-U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City