Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State is Nevada Most Similar Too?
CA 7 10.94%
UT 18 28.13%
ID 1 1.56%
OR 1 1.56%
AZ 32 50.00%
NM 5 7.81%
WY 0 0%
CO 0 0%
Other, please mention 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 10:23 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,741,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Overall, I'd say Nevada is 45% AZ, 30% CA, and 25% UT.

AZ similarities:
-Mountains are on the smaller side and not rugged like in the more northern western states and CA
-Purple states
-Has two of the fastest-growing large metro areas in the past 40 years
-Moderate LDS population unlike UT (high) or CA (low)
-Some of the best known "Old West" towns (Virginia City vs. Tombstone)
-Climate for southern NV (warm to hot summers with occasional monsoon moisture, mild but variable winters)

CA similarities:
-The Sierra Nevada
-Both of its largest cities poach off of CA residents priced out
-"Celebrity" culture
-Pacific time all year

UT similarities:
-The Great Basin
-Climate for northern NV

Arizona mountains are on the smaller side? Do you mean this in terms of prominence or peak elevation or something else? I don't know about the rugged part either, even the Phoenix area mountains seem as rugged as anywhere to me, this is my photo looking southward from just north of the city.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 06:53 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,396,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
From a geological perspective, most of Nevada is very reminiscent of Utah. Not Arizona.
Good point that we all missed.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:32 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Good point that we all missed.
Yeah and parts of Utah and Nevada also like Afghanistan are you gonna tell me that Nevada is more similar to Afghanistan than say, Massachusetts because of geography?

Like yes the natural environment does play influence into the lifestyles in which we live but to solely base this on geology and weather is asinine. Las Vegas has more in common with Anchorage than places in the Middle East because they share the American culture. When you break things down into subcultures due to the large vastness of the US itself, that’s where Anchorage and Las Vegas split away. But the US culture as a whole, in that despite what the media pedals we still have mostly shared values, is what keeps us united.

To be honest 9 times out of 10 these similarities and differences threads between two different US areas are cultural questions and splitting hairs based on local colloquialisms, mannerisms and other qualitative geographic/demographic data rather than more hard quantitative data like weather patterns and geology.

This wasn’t a point that we “all” missed. It’s a point that’s not all that significant to this discussion and people here know that. It’s sort of a moot point especially considering that other states also have similar climatic areas like eastern Oregon, eastern California… so it really doesn’t narrow things down in any significant way. It just removes anyone that’s not an immediate neighbor. But we can sit here and argue that Vegas is more similar to Miami than Boise, a city in a neighboring state with a more similar climate, because Miami also has a large nightlife scene, large amounts of tourists internationally and also both heavily experience the very unique “snowbird” phenomenon which means that they experience similar demands on services, infrastructure during seasonal times of the year. Then when you factor in other things like no income tax and the general “social liberalness” regarding appearance, lgbtq+ acceptance, general materialistic behaviors of both cities means that Vegas has more in common with Miami than the LDS satellite city of Boise at the end of the day despite Vegas’ natural setting being leagues more similar to Boise.

Referring back to my previous post I do still say Utah would be the most similar state because of rural LDS and just general emptiness (lack of people and lots of public land) but only IF we are not including Clark County. However can we really talk about a state without including it’s largest population center? Vegas is almost word for word Phoenix, this is coming from someone who was born and raised in Phoenix and lived there for 27 years and visited Vegas almost annually for approximately 20 of those years. I know Vegas just enough to confidently say Phoenix is it’s closest city relative.

TL;DR: yes it matters but it’s low hanging fruit compared to cultural/social variables.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:58 PM

327 posts, read 223,816 times
I see more parallels between Nevada and Idaho, as opposed to Nevada and Utah. For example, Reno and Boise are fairly similar cities (in my opinion). Additionally, the respective shorelines of Lake Tahoe and Lake Coeur d'Alene share many similarities. And I would say that the Mormon influence in Nevada and Idaho is about equal, as both states have noticeably less Mormon influence than Utah.

Old 01-16-2023, 05:53 PM

6,568 posts, read 12,070,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I always thought Nevada resembled Utah in some respects.
Especially Southern Utah, around the St. George area. Not so sure about Northern Utah though, it's more paired with Idaho. Maybe some parts of Northern Nevada such as Elko might be associated with the SLC area.

Overall I went with Arizona. Some parts of Southern Utah resemble AZ as well.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Yeah and parts of Utah and Nevada also like Afghanistan are you gonna tell me that Nevada is more similar to Afghanistan than say, Massachusetts because of geography?

Like yes the natural environment does play influence into the lifestyles in which we live but to solely base this on geology and weather is asinine. Las Vegas has more in common with Anchorage than places in the Middle East because they share the American culture. When you break things down into subcultures due to the large vastness of the US itself, that’s where Anchorage and Las Vegas split away. But the US culture as a whole, in that despite what the media pedals we still have mostly shared values, is what keeps us united.

To be honest 9 times out of 10 these similarities and differences threads between two different US areas are cultural questions and splitting hairs based on local colloquialisms, mannerisms and other qualitative geographic/demographic data rather than more hard quantitative data like weather patterns and geology.

This wasn’t a point that we “all” missed. It’s a point that’s not all that significant to this discussion and people here know that. It’s sort of a moot point especially considering that other states also have similar climatic areas like eastern Oregon, eastern California… so it really doesn’t narrow things down in any significant way. It just removes anyone that’s not an immediate neighbor. But we can sit here and argue that Vegas is more similar to Miami than Boise, a city in a neighboring state with a more similar climate, because Miami also has a large nightlife scene, large amounts of tourists internationally and also both heavily experience the very unique “snowbird” phenomenon which means that they experience similar demands on services, infrastructure during seasonal times of the year. Then when you factor in other things like no income tax and the general “social liberalness” regarding appearance, lgbtq+ acceptance, general materialistic behaviors of both cities means that Vegas has more in common with Miami than the LDS satellite city of Boise at the end of the day despite Vegas’ natural setting being leagues more similar to Boise.

Referring back to my previous post I do still say Utah would be the most similar state because of rural LDS and just general emptiness (lack of people and lots of public land) but only IF we are not including Clark County. However can we really talk about a state without including it’s largest population center? Vegas is almost word for word Phoenix, this is coming from someone who was born and raised in Phoenix and lived there for 27 years and visited Vegas almost annually for approximately 20 of those years. I know Vegas just enough to confidently say Phoenix is it’s closest city relative.

TL;DR: yes it matters but it’s low hanging fruit compared to cultural/social variables.
Someone mentioned the geological aspect amongst others which all of us missed before him and it added to this forum to help one make a more informed opinion . Nothing insignificant about that at least to others. NOTHING wrong or asinine with that either.. Nothing wrong with thinking more of the natural things already there such as topography, geography, geology , climate, vegetation, etc. Nothing wrong with placing more emphasis on what humans have added such as history, economy, culture, religion etc.
Therefore, being a free to chose poll one can vote not only as they wish but by also what they think it is more important to them to reach that decision and again yes geology being also considered which you thought was so odd by ridiculously mentioning Afghanistan and for other reasons Miami!

Last edited by WildWestDude; 01-17-2023 at 06:58 AM..

Old 02-05-2023, 10:26 AM

Looks like AZ is running away with it in this poll.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City