Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 10:57 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Their urban areas are nearly identical in size (717 miles for Balitmore, 734 for San Diego) but San Diego has about 800,000 more people in that area. This is a pretty familiar scenario when comparing large CA metros to their northeast counterparts.
The UA area has changed.

SD’s is 674 sq/mi vs. Baltimores 654 sq/mi but the population is pretty much the same for both.

Yep, pretty familiar dynamic. Cali burbs are significantly denser than east coast counterparts despite having comparable core populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 05:38 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
They're setup so differently it's hard to compare. When I'm in San Diego, the comparison I think of is LA, because it's so much easier to get from downtown to the beaches. One aspect of downtown that's interesting to compare though would be the ballpark experience. San Diego has become one of MLB's best draws and while there's plenty of homeless, far safer than the area around Camden Yards, far more fans at the games, and a lot more going on in the neighborhood around the park.

Old 01-21-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
They're setup so differently it's hard to compare. When I'm in San Diego, the comparison I think of is LA, because it's so much easier to get from downtown to the beaches. One aspect of downtown that's interesting to compare though would be the ballpark experience. San Diego has become one of MLB's best draws and while there's plenty of homeless, far safer than the area around Camden Yards, far more fans at the games, and a lot more going on in the neighborhood around the park.
SD’s ball park is one of the best set ups in the league and when the games coincide with the weekend Gaslamp & East Village are buzzing with foot traffic.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Going against the rest of the thread I think San Diego feels bigger. Baltimore is much more urban of course, but it's run down and most of the core city lacks vibrancy. Baltimore does better in it's suburbs, but to me they feel quite independent of Baltimore the city. Baltimore feels like a small city with an urban form to me (ala New Orleans) and it's actually surprising to me that its metro population is as high as it is.

San Diego on the other hand is beautiful to walk or ride a bike around in the vast majority of the city, and while it's not super urban it does have a consistent medium density. Overall San Diego feels like more of a cohesive metro to me, even if it lacks east coast rowhouses.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:55 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Going against the rest of the thread I think San Diego feels bigger. Baltimore is much more urban of course, but it's run down and most of the core city lacks vibrancy. Baltimore does better in it's suburbs, but to me they feel quite independent of Baltimore the city. Baltimore feels like a small city with an urban form to me (ala New Orleans) and it's actually surprising to me that its metro population is as high as it is.

San Diego on the other hand is beautiful to walk or ride a bike around in the vast majority of the city, and while it's not super urban it does have a consistent medium density. Overall San Diego feels like more of a cohesive metro to me, even if it lacks east coast rowhouses.
Depends on the suburbs. Some Baltimore suburbs are practically an extension of the city: Woodlawn, Pikesville, Brooklyn Park, Eastern Catonsville.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:18 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Depends on the suburbs. Some Baltimore suburbs are practically an extension of the city: Woodlawn, Pikesville, Brooklyn Park, Eastern Catonsville.
And Dundalk...or even Parkville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Yeah...which is a waste b/c Camden Yards is such a nice stadium.

But design-wise Petco is practically 2 blocks from Gaslamp. Camden Yards? The closest to "anything" would be 3 blocks west to Inner Harbor, which itself is empty. The districts where things are happening (Fells Point or Federal Hill) are quite a hike.

And to the north is downtown proper...which is possibly one of the most wasted area in the whole city IMHO.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post

But design-wise Petco is practically 2 blocks from Gaslamp. Camden Yards? The closest to "anything" would be 3 blocks west to Inner Harbor, which itself is empty. The districts where things are happening (Fells Point or Federal Hill) are quite a hike.

And to the north is downtown proper...which is possibly one of the most wasted area in the whole city IMHO.
MD allocated 1.2 billion dollars to developing the lots between Camden & M&T Bank stadium.. so we’ll see what becomes of that in the future.

Mt. Vernon is a completely different beast.

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-21-2023 at 11:16 PM..

Old 01-21-2023, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
And Dundalk...or even Parkville.

I could've sworn I said Parkville..lol
Definitely Dundalk.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
MD allocated 1.2 billion dollars to developing the lots between Camden & M&T Bank stadium.. so we’ll see what becomes of that in the future.

Mt. Vernon is a completely different beast.
When did MD allocate 1.2 Billion? Hogan could've have known about that.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:49 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
TBH, I saw this as a good comparison because imo their pretty close. Though, if you excuse the decay and wear, Baltimore feels somewhat bigger. Though tbh, even without the DT mall, SD seems to have more to see and do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City