Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 01:27 PM

1,205 posts, read 800,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I live in a high rise in SD and it’s skyline is pretty identical to Baltimore in scale and scope.

Baltimore has more building above +200’
SD has more at +100m
Baltimore has buildings over +150m (with more planned)

(Both have feel substantially larger than New Orleans)
SD doesn't have tall buildings only b/c of the airport, though...not that b/c SD can't support it.

And both should feel larger than NOLA. Even Baltimore MSA (~2.7M) is more than twice the size of NOLA MSA (~1.27M). NOLA similar to the like of Charleston SC is more famous due to its tourism draw more than its size anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Hogan couldn't care less about the Mayflower truck taken the one of our teams since he's doesn't support Baltimore sports. He admitted to being a Redskins Fan.
Well, maybe b/c he wants that piece of land where FedEx Field sits on so he can developed it .
==========================================
As far as SD vs. Baltimore - SD does "feels" larger, since Baltimore is those places which you don't realized is as big as the number makes it. Maybe b/c the city itself is just...ehh...sad looking and is not vibrant, maybe b/c the city itself gets much more overshadow by DC compares to LA vs. SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 01:59 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,986 times
Quote:
I live in a high rise in SD and it’s skyline is pretty identical to Baltimore in scale and scope.

Baltimore has more building above +200’
SD has more at +100m
Baltimore has buildings over +150m (with more planned)

(Both have feel substantially larger than New Orleans)
Similar in terms of skyline, yes (as both are quite short), but personally I find that SD is far more vibrant downtown.

My comparison with New Orleans is that I think being downtown Baltimore feels similar to being in the core of New Orleans. The geographic scale of Baltimore is bigger, and it has far larger and more prosperous suburbs, but I don't believe that it peaks higher. I think it's a fairly modest downtown with a quite large, but unfortunately mostly downtrodden, ring of dense urban residential neighborhoods. To me it feels like there is more to explore in San Diego.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:14 PM

3,549 posts, read 2,341,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
SD doesn't have tall buildings only b/c of the airport, though...not that b/c SD can't support it.
If you removed the height limit San Diego tomorrow, SD wouldn’t just start throwing up 800’ monsters right like Austin. It rarely if builds to the current height limit now

Baltimore has excessive housing so property values don’t justify building uber tall towers. That being said it does have multiple 100-150m+ buildings in the pipeline and it’s core is building more housing units than SD’s is.

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-23-2023 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-23-2023, 03:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Similar in terms of skyline, yes (as both are quite short), but personally I find that SD is far more vibrant downtown.

My comparison with New Orleans is that I think being downtown Baltimore feels similar to being in the core of New Orleans. The geographic scale of Baltimore is bigger, and it has far larger and more prosperous suburbs, but I don't believe that it peaks higher. I think it's a fairly modest downtown with a quite large, but unfortunately mostly downtrodden, ring of dense urban residential neighborhoods. To me it feels like there is more to explore in San Diego.
Agree. San Diego's skyline is also much more balanced in terms of its building arrangement.

Baltimore's skyline has always been really clunky-looking and odd looking, mainly because most of the large buildings are in a straight line along Pratt Street. There are a ton of boxy buildings and then a couple of weird looking buildings with spires/antennas, and the tallest buildings are just non-descript, vertical rectangles.

The new section of buildings by Harbor East is pretty nice, and I like the new "tall" building on Light Street (got to see it in person this past summer when I was back visiting).

But overall, there's just something odd about Baltimore's downtown and skyline. Have never really been able to put my finger on it, but it doesn't seem "big". I think it has to do with the arrangement of the buildings.

Also, the harbor area and harbor east are the main attractions, and they aren't the typical downtown core (central business districts) areas in traditional downtowns. They are kind of separate, which makes the central business district area kind of irrelevant. It makes "downtown" feel small.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Agree. San Diego's skyline is also much more balanced in terms of its building arrangement.

Baltimore's skyline has always been really clunky-looking and odd looking, mainly because most of the large buildings are in a straight line along Pratt Street. There are a ton of boxy buildings and then a couple of weird looking buildings with spires/antennas, and the tallest buildings are just non-descript, vertical rectangles.
SD’s tall buildings are just a rectangular and boxy. Most of Baltimores tallest buildings are far removed from Pratt Street, not on it. Of the 10 tallest buildings in the city only 4 are on Pratt.

Yes that’s Baltimores “postcard” pic, but you physically can’t see all of the skyline from Federal Hill (the view angle you are referencing) because you have skyscrapers/high-rises wrapping around in almost a 270 arch around it due to the Inner Harbor not being wide enough.

Quote:
The new section of buildings by Harbor East is pretty nice, and I like the new "tall" building on Light Street (got to see it in person this past summer when I was back visiting).
The buildings in Harbor East are just as “boxy” as the ones on Pratt Street, contemporary architecture aside.

Quote:
But overall, there's just something odd about Baltimore's downtown and skyline. Have never really been able to put my finger on it, but it doesn't seem "big". I think it has to do with the arrangement of the buildings.
This pic was taken 3 miles north of Pratt Street from the roof of a 10 story parking garage in Charles Village.

To put things in to context the furthest +300ft/100m building visible in the shot is 4.3 miles away in Riverside and there’s still swaths of high-rise out of frame in every direction include behind.

Quote:
Also, the harbor area and harbor east are the main attractions, and they aren't the typical downtown core (central business districts) areas in traditional downtowns. They are kind of separate, which makes the central business district area kind of irrelevant. It makes "downtown" feel small.
Fells Point is arguably Baltimores main attraction now a days, not the Harbor. Fells serves a similar function to Gaslamp district despite them being located in different parts of the their respective cities.

Federal Hill would be the equivalent to Pacific Beach in it being the primary college hang out spot

Harbor East closest equivalent would SD’s Little Italy in both being extremely upscale high-rise residential areas near the water with the food to match.

Hampden is most similar to North Park. Both are far removed from the water, and have a strong local dive bar/brewery scene.

The difference is Baltimore is way more compact in the same way DC & Philly are hyper compact compared to Houston or Miami despite all being roughly the same size and offering similar levels of amenities.

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-23-2023 at 06:06 PM..

Old 01-23-2023, 07:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:

Having Harbor East, and now Harbor Point makes downtown feel bigger, in my opinion. That's a nearly two mile stretch of tall buildings going east to west. That's nearly a 2 mile stretch (as the crow flies) of tall buildings. I agree that the skyline can look better as the most prominent buildings consist of Brutalist architecture.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:30 PM

Quote:
SD is definitely more lively as whole from my experience (granted it’s all post COVID) where Baltimore is extremely hit or miss.

Baltimore is not lacking core population but what limits it is a) lack of quality amenities b) how unfriendly of the cities downtown built environment is to pedestrian c) MD’s russian roulette of weather.

Quote:
Define “peaks”?

If we are talking about foot traffic? Then yeah, Mardie Gras in New Orleans for sure peaks more than anything in Baltimore in terms of sheer foot traffic over “x” area especially post COVID

I don’t disagree with downtown Baltimore being behind in the times and needs some urgent love. SD has more things to do but those are geographically located in what would be Baltimores suburbs so they have to be taken with that context.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:59 PM

954 posts, read 571,136 times
Baltimore, because it feels like a real city.

San Diego's downtown is quite small, and because its so close to the airport, none of the buildings are built very high. It has big city amenities, but its more like a beach town that never ends.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:05 PM

1,205 posts, read 800,411 times
Quote:
SD’s tall buildings are just a rectangular and boxy. Most of Baltimores tallest buildings are far removed from Pratt Street, not on it. Of the 10 tallest buildings in the city only 4 are on Pratt.

Yes that’s Baltimores “postcard” pic, but you physically can’t see all of the skyline from Federal Hill (the view angle you are referencing) because you have skyscrapers/high-rises wrapping around in almost a 270 arch around it due to the Inner Harbor not being wide enough.

The buildings in Harbor East are just as “boxy” as the ones on Pratt Street, contemporary architecture aside.

This pic was taken 3 miles north of Pratt Street from the roof of a 10 story parking garage in Charles Village.

To put things in to context the furthest +300ft/100m building visible in the shot is 4.3 miles away in Riverside and there’s still swaths of high-rise out of frame in every direction include behind.

Fells Point is arguably Baltimores main attraction now a days, not the Harbor. Fells serves a similar function to Gaslamp district despite them being located in different parts of the their respective cities.

Federal Hill would be the equivalent to Pacific Beach in it being the primary college hang out spot

Harbor East closest equivalent would SD’s Little Italy in both being extremely upscale high-rise residential areas near the water with the food to match.

Hampden is most similar to North Park. Both are far removed from the water, and have a strong local dive bar/brewery scene.

The difference is Baltimore is way more compact in the same way DC & Philly are hyper compact compared to Houston or Miami despite all being roughly the same size and offering similar levels of amenities.
For some reason even though I know it's Baltimore that the picture you posted almost make it look like Eastern Europe...with that "rundown" feel .

And come on, the equivalent to SD's Little Italy is Baltimore's Little Italy .

Harbor Point will only grow even more with T. Rowe Price moving their HQ there.

For Harbor East - even though the area is nice, the architecture there is 100% the same as those DC redevelopment, with taller heights. There's zero difference otherwise from areas like The Wharf visually.

BTW...I can't think of any equivalent to La Jolla/UTC area in Baltimore metro (not even counting the beach). Towson maybe? But La Jolla/UTC area is a lot nicer.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:10 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,463,501 times
Quote:

Great picture. Gray skies and no leaves on the trees. Sign me up for those Baltimore winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City