Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 09:19 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Look I agree 100% with your points, you don't need to keep wasting energy to write essays proving your point.

Another poster wrote early on in the third post of this thread that if OP had to ask if NYC is worth the premium then it probably isn't for them.
In most cases if you're searching for that niche that really only exists in NYC then you wouldn't need to ask.
Well, yea, it looks like a waste of time because your response seems to point to you still not getting the point. Those niches in regards to highly specialized hobbies/interests are an attractant for some, but they are not generally the main attractant or the sole ones. How is this so difficult to understand?

Old 03-11-2023, 07:38 AM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, yea, it looks like a waste of time because your response seems to point to you still not getting the point. Those niches in regards to highly specialized hobbies/interests are an attractant for some, but they are not generally the main attractant or the sole ones. How is this so difficult to understand?
That’s kind of the point for 99% of people there isn’t a meter oak difference between NYC and Chicago since people tend to just go to the sand like 20 places over and over with the occasional special trip somewhere.

And Chicago has more than enough to satisfy that

Old 03-11-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That’s kind of the point for 99% of people there isn’t a meter oak difference between NYC and Chicago since people tend to just go to the sand like 20 places over and over with the occasional special trip somewhere.

And Chicago has more than enough to satisfy that

I don't think that first part is how I would phrase it. Their habits of going to the same places would likely hold, but most of NYC and Chicago do operate somewhat differently and so there would be likely substantive differences since the cities are very different in density, proportion of people living in high density, different ways of getting around for most people, etc. I think the differences even for pretty routine living are probably going to be there, but the question is if it's going to be worth the likely difference in price and that's probably going to come down to what industry and occupation they work in.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:53 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
It's true that this very thread topic has become somewhat of a national inside joke/meme, that is "New Yorkers" proudly announcing their unique and exclusive urban exploits in a manner reminiscent of Patrick Bateman, only to unwittingly just list totally mundane stuff that you probably could do in Phoenix or Akron.

That post certainly was a great example of that.
Well, yes. New Yorkers and transplanted New Yorkers LOVE New York City. There is no denying it. And while the boosting can be quite annoying and close-minded, I think atleast some of the echoing has been valid.

The late night food options (ie, getting Greek and Vietnamese food at 3am) is really only applicable to maybe 5-6 big cities and college towns. And the uniqueness, while cringey to a lot of people, is really something only found in NYC (Ie., the 'fashion' at FIT, new 'trends' Manhattanites set for their city). I can see why some people, especially New Yorkers, really love New York and see that some aspects can only be found in NYC and a handful of other cities. While NYC is loaded with lots of Pros and Cons, I think a big Pro to NYC is that individuality aspect which has been a sole reason at why it has attracted so many transplants in the first place. I can't take that away from NYC.

But at the same time, each city can make a claim on why they are the best. You come from San Diego, which is arguably another 'Best city in the US'. You cant get beautiful weather beach vibes and that culture really anywhere else in the US and you could make a case why its the best in the US.

Old 03-11-2023, 06:55 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,309,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well, yes. New Yorkers and transplanted New Yorkers LOVE New York City. There is no denying it. And while the boosting can be quite annoying and close-minded, I think atleast some of the echoing has been valid.

The late night food options (ie, getting Greek and Vietnamese food at 3am) is really only applicable to maybe 5-6 big cities and college towns. And the uniqueness, while cringey to a lot of people, is really something only found in NYC (Ie., the 'fashion' at FIT, new 'trends' Manhattanites set for their city). I can see why some people, especially New Yorkers, really love New York and see that some aspects can only be found in NYC and a handful of other cities. While NYC is loaded with lots of Pros and Cons, I think a big Pro to NYC is that individuality aspect which has been a sole reason at why it has attracted so many transplants in the first place. I can't take that away from NYC.

But at the same time, each city can make a claim on why they are the best. You come from San Diego, which is arguably another 'Best city in the US'. You cant get beautiful weather beach vibes and that culture really anywhere else in the US and you could make a case why its the best in the US.
There is a southern California version of "experience" cringe as well, mostly in the form of Mexican food.

Mexican food, specifically burritos, is our version of NYC's "where else can you get a decent SLICE?" "You can't get good pizza ANYWHERE else!"

As in, "yeah, I don't miss San Diego, and I'm happy in my big house in Anytown, Tennessee, but I can't find ANY GOOD MEXICAN FOOD here! I guess San Diego spoiled me!"

Or for Los Angeles, "where else can I get off work in March and be lounging in the sun with a margarita and a legit BURRITO?"

As if making a burrito is a culinary task that has confounded all the great chefs of NYC and Chicago for years. Such a complicated dish to get right!

Its strange that you don't really get the Chicago "experience" boasting, though I'm sure there is plenty that would be warranted. Most people from there are usually just like yeah its a really big city, great food.

Old 03-11-2023, 06:55 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,021,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Like the poster was talking about their supposedly niche interests, and then it was literally just eating sushi and listening to a very mainstream genre of music.
To be fair they did say "good" sushi and Chinese food. I don't care about "good" food in the sense of being high-end, I just want stuff that tastes good and is preferably a bit different from the norm. But if you do want that to be part of your lifestyle, you probably need to be in or near Manhattan. I don't know if we even have "good" Chinese food here in San Francisco.

Also young women everywhere in the US listen to K-pop these days, but specifically for K-pop concerts, you probably have to be in a top 10 US metro --- although I'd expect BTS, Twice, etc. come to Chicago as well.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Yea, there's a lot of different strokes for different folks, though I think the Chicago vs NYC comparison oftentimes is specifically about kind of having a bustling, urban city (with pretty similar climates), so I think it laser focuses on those aspects sometimes.

I also think some part of this has to with the US having its major urban, walkable centers wrecked hard over the latter half of the 20th century and in some ways actually set backwards while urban centers in other developed countries ultimately recovered and in some ways improved and so there's a larger selection of such for their given populations. This puts really urban, walkable areas at a higher premium that it probably should and hopefully Chicago fleshes itself out more to take advantage of its good bones and the undo some of the more egregious mistakes of the past half-century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
To be fair they did say "good" sushi and Chinese food. I don't care about "good" food in the sense of being high-end, I just want stuff that tastes good and is preferably a bit different from the norm. But if you do want that to be part of your lifestyle, you probably need to be in or near Manhattan. I don't know if we even have "good" Chinese food here in San Francisco.

Also young women everywhere in the US listen to K-pop these days, but specifically for K-pop concerts, you probably have to be in a top 10 US metro --- although I'd expect BTS, Twice, etc. come to Chicago as well.
I think you have very good Chinese food in San Francisco and the Bay Area. I think in the US it's the Bay Area, Los Angeles, and NYC/Tri-State Area, but Chicago was pretty good and is probably even better now though it has less variety than the other three mentioned as Chinese cuisine encompasses a pretty wide swathe of cooking methods, customs, and ingredients. I think for the Bay Area though, the layout of the metropolitan area combined with the relatively meager and excessively balkanized mass transit means getting to the different concentrations of or single good spots for that variety does make it more annoying to some extent than in NYC. BART should have been standard gauge from the start and it should have been a single frequent, rapid system with at least Caltrain with a loop around the bay and a few bay crossings by now.

I also think to be fair, it's the conjunction of multiple things simultaneously and not necessarily just one or two factors, though several of them tend to correlate together.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-11-2023 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-11-2023, 08:37 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
There is a southern California version of "experience" cringe as well, mostly in the form of Mexican food.

Mexican food, specifically burritos, is our version of NYC's "where else can you get a decent SLICE?" "You can't get good pizza ANYWHERE else!"

As in, "yeah, I don't miss San Diego, and I'm happy in my big house in Anytown, Tennessee, but I can't find ANY GOOD MEXICAN FOOD here! I guess San Diego spoiled me!"

Or for Los Angeles, "where else can I get off work in March and be lounging in the sun with a margarita and a legit BURRITO?"

As if making a burrito is a culinary task that has confounded all the great chefs of NYC and Chicago for years. Such a complicated dish to get right!

Its strange that you don't really get the Chicago "experience" boasting, though I'm sure there is plenty that would be warranted. Most people from there are usually just like yeah its a really big city, great food.
No I totally get you. Im 110% in agreement here.

A lot of times too, keep in mind, by no fault of their own, New Yorkers (and people who move to NYC) will rarely leave NYC. Not all, but especially the loud ones. Similar to Cali comments with the "cali forever goodbye" its like ughh leave your state. Same to NYC, but city wise. The boasting comes from limited experiences imho. A lot is great about NYC and if you love it, I love that for you! I honestly do, everyone has their spots to be at. And if you found yours great! But like anywhere, there are big pros and big cons to each place

And NOT specific to NYC, but anywhere, if you go through your whole life hearing somewhere is the best, your gonna think it.

I think somewhere in the last 15 years we lost our humbleness and we all are a bit too arrogant on where we live/love or are from.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:28 PM

376 posts, read 210,806 times
Quote:
I think somewhere in the last 15 years we lost our humbleness and we all are a bit too arrogant on where we live/love or are from.

Is it a coincidence that this percieved phenomenon parallels the time frame of the rise of the internet and social media?

Old 03-12-2023, 07:06 AM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Is it a coincidence that this percieved phenomenon parallels the time frame of the rise of the internet and social media?
The idea New Yorkers got cocky in like 2013 is so ahistorical is not even funny. That cartoon from the New Yorker showing the country according to a New Yorker was published in like 1953. Frank Sinatra counted “A city so nice they named it twice” in the 1940s. The whole “Greatest city in the work routine is pounded into peoples heads from diapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City