Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2023, 10:25 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,093,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Some of the specific reasons you listed is just so miniscule. Such as people that cannot drive? There's people that can't drive in every city/town in the U.S (and still manage life) so what makes NYC in particular so outstanding?
You mention hobbies, industry, family etc. In this case there's always the option to travel by air.
Is NYC worth the 80% markup just to still be "very far" (event still won't be outside on your street) in a sense, I don't think so.

Crime. Using homicide as a barometer is just inaccurate.
We both live in reality so we know there's more to crime than just homicides and other crimes can lead to homicide. NYC has a greater number of crime volume in a smaller geographic area.
As I keep mentioning again and again, what's on paper doesn't necessarily translate into reality.

Like it has been mentioned over and over, this forum and many such social mediums have this fascination boner for NYC just because of it's larger population.
It's over rated alot.
You also mentioned noone would choose Chicago over NYC. I would choose Chicago over NYC.

The OP asked a question in the OP. Is NYC worth a premium price tag over Chicago? No.
Live in Chicago, get on a plane if you want to "experience" NYC.

Lmao
No, really? The biggest NYC hater on the board would choose another city? What a revelation, Captain obvious lol

And you talk about crime and posted a link to rastas and weed dealers in Washington Square Park?

Dude, you lost all credibility with that one LOL.

You are the epitome of an internet creeper who has never experienced life outside of a screen. Get out of Cali more, son.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:28 AM

5,494 posts, read 3,940,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
No, really? The biggest NYC hater on the board would choose another city? What a revelation, Captain obvious lol

And you talk about crime and posted a link to rastas and weed dealers in Washington Square Park?

Dude, you lost all credibility with that one LOL.

You are the epitome of an internet creeper who has never experienced life outside of a screen. Get out of Cali more, son.
Lol, very harsh

Old 03-07-2023, 10:35 AM

376 posts, read 210,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Lol, very harsh

That poster calls me something and then go on to do the same. He's just upset that I always stomp out his internet fantasy of feeling superior about transplanting to NYC on an anomynous forum. He talks a big game but I bet he won't own up in real life. If he does, he can send me a private message on where to "meet up" if he's ever on the West Coast

Old 03-07-2023, 10:35 AM

The numbers I'm seeing on the 'Tourism in Chicago' Wikipedia page (who knew such a specialized page existed) are reporting a total of 55 million visitors in 2017, 54.1 million visitors in 2016, and 50.1 million visitors in 2015. While it is unspecified on the page as to whether all those visitors are from out-of-state or if it includes people making the journey from the 'We want to become the 51st state' Southern Illinois (the separatist movement seemed pretty strong when I was in IL in 2003, although in reality it's probably no stronger than Upstate NY's or anywhere else that feels dominated by the presence of a big city in its state, such as Eastern WA), we can tentatively say that the 1 mill annual out-of-state fans at Cubs games represent about 2% of all Chicago tourists.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:36 AM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
Milwaukee is 1.5 hrs. north of Chicago. It has lots of bars and a whole lot more to enjoy, I would think, than Hoboken, lol.
Well, Hoboken is a square mile or two and is probably one of the most walkable places in the country. Its like a hybrid of the Back Bay in Boston and the West Village in NYC with more bars and young people. Milwaukee is fun I bet, but you are comparing different things there. Hoboken is an ultra compact (60,000 people per square mile) neighborhood with 3 rapid transit lines and 7 commuter rail lines terminating there with access to NYC less than a mile away Milwaukee is a full city. Hoboken, while a city, operates more as an extension neighborhood of Jersey City if that makes sense.

I like Milwaukee a lot, but Hoboken is really compact, clean and all around fun. Albeit, expensive though.

Supposedly.... just supposedly... Hoboken until recently minic'd what NYC was like in a lot of spots. I miss old NYC and if that gives you a taste of what it was once like than thats pretty cool. But Hoboken is also soo gentrified ive been hittin up JC lately.

I remember moving to NJ and all my friends (who are ALL from Hackensack) told me about it and i was like it cant be that good. It is. I enjoy it. Its gaining traction for better or worse.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 03-07-2023 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-07-2023, 10:37 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Wow, had no idea Chicago can ruffle so many feathers here.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:39 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,093,152 times
Quote:
That poster calls me something and then go on to do the same. He's just upset that I always stomp out his internet fantasy of feeling superior about transplanting to NYC on an anomynous forum. He talks a big game but I bet he won't own up in real life. If he does, he can send me a private message on where to "meet up" if he's ever on the West Coast
LMAO Ooo, big Internet tough guy? Save it kid. Everyone on here thinks you're a fraud.

Pro tip for you from a native NY'er: Next time you post links to say NYC has pockets of crime don't include Washington Square Park, dopey

Old 03-07-2023, 10:40 AM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
I mean tbf you are bringing up crime. While NYC is not crime free, it has some of the lowest rates of crime of any US city. Only 2 or 3 have lower rates. The area you brought up also has a murder rate of basically 0.

NYC is much safer than CA cities, bar SD.

And bigcity lives in NJ, iirc like 5 miles where is from as the crow flies which is Literally adjacent to NYC. Hes not a transplant. Hes just from the NYC sphere.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well, Hoboken is a square mile or two and is probably one of the most walkable places in the country. Its like a hybrid of the Back Bay in Boston and the West Village in NYC with more bars and young people. Milwaukee is fun I bet, but you are comparing different things there. Hoboken is an ultra compact (60,000 people per square mile) neighborhood with 3 rapid transit lines and 7 commuter rail lines terminating there with access to NYC less than a mile away Milwaukee is a full city. Hoboken, while a city, operates more as an extension neighborhood of Jersey City if that makes sense.

I like Milwaukee a lot, but Hoboken is really compact, clean and all around fun. Albeit, expensive though.

Supposedly.... just supposedly... Hoboken until recently minic'd what NYC was like in a lot of spots. I miss old NYC and if that gives you a taste of what it was once like than thats pretty cool. But Hoboken is also soo gentrified ive been hittin up JC lately.
pop den of Hoboken is 48k/sq mi, since the land mass is actually 1.25 sq mi, but point taken. The four densest places in the US are all NJ municipalities in the NYC metro area (NYC itself is 6th, as of the 2010 census)

Old 03-07-2023, 10:43 AM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I am not arguing though that Coney Island or Jamaica is part of this "where people typically hang out" area or whatever you wanna call it.

What I am arguing is that, if you wanna keep things apples to apples, the size of the relevant Chicago area (which I tried to outline in a prior post) is probably about 5 sq miles, with the vast majority of activity taking place within about 2 sq miles. In NY the equivalent area would be about 20-25 sq miles, with most of the activity within about 10 sq miles. So no matter how you cut it there is about 1-to-4 or 1-to-5 ratio there... not 1-to-1.5 that you were suggesting.
If you live in Uptown Chicago you probably know what’s going on from about The Evanston Border down to maybe Lincoln Park and over to Lincolnwood. Like broadly the north east quarter of Chicago in addition to the Loop. If you lived in Astoria you’d be familiar with maybe the eastern 1/2 of Queens and Midtown Manhattan and maybe like 2 bars near Yankee Stadium.

You’re not broadly familiar with a quarter of New York cause that’s literally impossible. There are two many art galleries and little theatre and restaurants.

Both Chicago and New York are big enough that your time, not the physical stuff to do is the limiting factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City