Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 10:00 PM

28 posts, read 24,651 times

Advertisements

Opportunity at work to move up by
Leaving Detroit Metro to move to San Antonio. Tell me I am making the right move. I'm 42 and we have 3 young children in elementary school. Tired of snow but part of the reason is the thought it may be more a fun city. Will I regret it? I like the proximity to Austin and Corpus Christy. Also no income tax doesn't hurt. But the snakes do scare us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2023, 10:10 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,818,177 times
Omg are you kidding me? Yes freaking do it.
What on earth are you talking about snakes?
San Antonio metrio area has about 2.5M people.
It is a major metropolis. It's not a desert filled with snakes.

You are getting a job upgrade offer, jump on it and ignore stupid TV stereotypes. About 27 million out of Texas's 30M people do not live in the stupid desert wild west TV image of Texas. Go check out San Antonio. It is a really great place to raise a family.

I lived in San Antonio 4 years and didn't see one darn snake. Jump on that job offer.

Old 03-05-2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Omg are you kidding me? Yes freaking do it.
What on earth are you talking about snakes?
San Antonio metrio area has about 2.5M people.
It is a major metropolis. It's not a desert filled with snakes.

You are getting a job upgrade offer, jump on it and ignore stupid TV stereotypes. About 27 million out of Texas's 30M people do not live in the stupid desert wild west TV image of Texas. Go check out San Antonio. It is a really great place to raise a family.

I lived in San Antonio 4 years and didn't see one darn snake. Jump on that job offer.
Thanks! Ya we will be flying out to see area in few weeks and look at houses. House prices seem not too bad. We are excited. The plan is to move in August before opens back up in fall. We'll look at San Antonio, Helotes, znd Boerne.

Old 03-05-2023, 11:23 PM

2,351 posts, read 2,304,694 times
I’d do it purely for the career aspect. Otherwise, I think the Detroit suburbs have San Antonio beat.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’d do it purely for the career aspect. Otherwise, I think the Detroit suburbs have San Antonio beat.
I feel schools are great in the right areas in Detroit suburbs such as ours in Rochester, MI. But nothing really to right home about life in the area. It's OK but just that OK.

Old 03-06-2023, 02:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,981,088 times
San Antonio isn’t a desert city like Phoenix or Las Vegas (even then you wouldn’t see snakes in the city). Nevertheless I say take the leap if this means a higher salary and better quality of life for you and your family. The Mexican food is AMAZING in San Antonio. You can always move back to the Detroit area if it doesn’t work out.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:02 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,474,214 times
I'd move to San Antonio.

Different state, different climate, different geography, and great overall experience.

Also, there's a 99% chance you won't encounter a snake in San Antonio unless you live in the far reaching suburbs. That's a minor, silly thing to be concerned about in my opinion.

If you don't like San Antonio, move back to Michigan or move somewhere else.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:25 PM

Plan is san antonio for 2-3 years than potentially Dallas or Nashville as next move at company

Old 03-07-2023, 03:32 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,338,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abok1980 View Post
Opportunity at work to move up by
Leaving Detroit Metro to move to San Antonio. Tell me I am making the right move. I'm 42 and we have 3 young children in elementary school. Tired of snow but part of the reason is the thought it may be more a fun city. Will I regret it? I like the proximity to Austin and Corpus Christy. Also no income tax doesn't hurt. But the snakes do scare us
Income taxes are nil but property taxes are highest in the nation, you'll pay taxes regardless.

Old 03-07-2023, 04:04 PM

1,205 posts, read 799,585 times
Snakes? The only snakes you'll encounter in SA is probably at the San Antonio Zoo .

Either way SA is not the worst place to live in - it's somewhat meh compare to the other Texas metros (DFW, Houston, Austin) but there are definitely nice areas. Plus those Mexican foods .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City