Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Metros With The Nicest Collection of Suburbs 2023
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 35 16.06%
Boston-Cambridge-Newton 44 20.18%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 45 20.64%
Dallas-Forth Worth-Arlington 26 11.93%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 12 5.50%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 45 20.64%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 15 6.88%
New York-Newark-Jersey City 39 17.89%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilington 37 16.97%
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 16 7.34%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 53 24.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 07:49 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Yeah Naperville sucks, at least if you want to have a life outside overpriced Thai restaurants and potlucks at the houses of your kid's T-ball teammates.

My top 10, having grown up in Chicagoland. Not necessarily the ones I'd want to live in the most, just the ones I find the most interesting or have the most positive associations with.

Oak Park/River Forest (biased, grew up there)
Forest Park/Berwyn
Evanston
Aurora
Joliet
Waukegan
Hammond (love the hardcore Rust Belt aesthetic)
Skokie
Arlington Heights
Fox Lake (one of my friends in Seattle is from there, and I just find central and northern Lake County beautiful)
Your list is certainly more "balanced" than mine.

My top 10 was really a combination of best/most desirable/reputation with a little bit of personal touch. E.g. I probably wouldn't live in Winnetka, but a drive through town and maybe a bite to eat was always in our weekend rolodex when we lived North of the city.

I'll go through my top 10 for NYC and Boston in a bit. Maybe I'll try to be a bit more equitable for those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 08:02 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
ATL is probably the biggest surprise of the poll this far.

I do really like the area, despite its reputation for sprawl. I could most definitely live in Decatur or Brookhaven or Druid Hills.

What are some other suburbs like the ones above I may not be familiar with? Meaning, inner burbs, a commercial street/district, variety of homes.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:02 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times
Just because a suburb was conceived well prior to WW2 doesn't mean it's nice. And just cause a burb looks sprawled out doesn't mean it sucks. "Nicest" means clean streets, roads that don't look like they've been bombed, VERY low crime/social decay like graffiti and underclass, homes/apts that have consistent upkeep, etc. Even "sterile". Phoenix and DC are the 2 that fits the criteria of "nicest".

Old 03-20-2023, 08:14 AM

6,815 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
"Nicest" means clean streets, roads that don't look like they've been bombed, VERY low crime/social decay like graffiti and underclass, homes/apts that have consistent upkeep, etc.
You forgot amenities. A nice suburb is one where you don’t need to drive 30-45min for a carton of milk and some eggs. There should be a mix of shops, restaurants, and stores that most residents have easy access to.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:18 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

I do really like the area, despite its reputation for sprawl. I could most definitely live in Decatur or Brookhaven or Druid Hills.

What are some other suburbs like the ones above I may not be familiar with? Meaning, inner burbs, a commercial street/district, variety of homes.
Yeah Atlanta has very nice suburbs. I actually forgot to vote for them.

Another one of my favorites is Alpharetta.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0756...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0721...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0772...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-20-2023, 08:19 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,297,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Atlanta does have some further out suburbs with nice little downtown areas. Woodstock and Buford come to mind.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:21 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Just because a suburb was conceived well prior to WW2 doesn't mean it's nice. And just cause a burb looks sprawled out doesn't mean it sucks. "Nicest" means clean streets, roads that don't look like they've been bombed, VERY low crime/social decay like graffiti and underclass, homes/apts that have consistent upkeep, etc. Even "sterile". Phoenix and DC are the 2 that fits the criteria of "nicest".
There's obviously a lot of subjectivity to the word "nice," which is the purpose of the poll.

Neither "newness" or "oldness" are proxies for "nice," but I think most are also inclined to include some type character or visual interest in the category of "nice," as well.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:31 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There's obviously a lot of subjectivity to the word "nice," which is the purpose of the poll.

Neither "newness" or "oldness" are proxies for "nice," but I think most are also inclined to include some type character or visual interest in the category of "nice," as well.
Exactly. Because if "newness, clean streets" are the only real criteria we are going off of, I would vote Miami, as its suburbs are some of the cleanest out there.
However, Miami has some of my LEAST favorite suburbs because they lack character, they all look the same, and much like pretty much all of the major cities in Florida's suburbs, are bland and soulless. Same with Phoenix.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:54 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
What I like about Atlanta's suburbs are the the generous lot sizes and big yards along with beautiful tree canopies. I never saw the point in moving out to the suburbs away from a denser city only to have a postage stamp sized yard.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:00 AM

14,186 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
well, in NJ/NY there are rail burbs but they aren't full blown cities/developed as multi family as those around DC (Bare New Brunswick).

In Boston, theres virtually no dense rail burbs ... maybe the old mill towns and some exburbs/functional extensions of the city? But yeah no.

Philadelphia is between Boston and NYC with the Main Line and PATCO. Beautiful towns, but nto built up as much as DC. But they are beautiful.
Our exception to that rule is the Conshohockens, a faded industrial town and its "suburb" (West Conshohocken) that recently morphed into an edge city filled with office towers and mid-rise apartment complexes (one of them a fairly cheaply built one that went up like a tinderbox while under construction in the 1990s but got rebuilt).

It has both SEPTA Regional Rail service and what seems to be another must-have for edge city formation: a major freeway junction sitting just outside it. It's just down the road from the region's premier edge city, King of Prussia, an autocentric archipelago along the lines of Tysons (no longer Tysons Corner) outside DC.

None of these I would rank among Philadelphia's most beautiful suburbs, but Conshohocken has become a more interesting one thanks to all the development there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City