Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 09:50 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkells View Post
The West is way too isolated to still have great demand like it used to. The East is much more populated and people usually move closer rather than farther. The old days are over.
Three post history to say this kind of nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 09:28 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Yeah, nonsense indeed. I've only read the end of the thread but wow.

One component: Proximity to Asia is kind of a big deal.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:42 PM

638 posts, read 349,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Definitely have thought of leaving California for Chicago, Philly or Texas. Even nova
Large portions of California are falling apart. The entire state is in a terminal decline.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:55 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
The West is way too isolated to still have great demand like it used to. The East is much more populated and people usually move closer rather than farther. The old days are over.
This isn't 1850. It's not a 2 month trip in a covered wagon from Denver to Chicago or a multi-day trip on a steam locomotive. Not everybody wants to be jammed into the crowded petri dish or deal with craptacular humidity.

In college I interviewed for a job in Westchester County, NY. The VP of the company lived in Princeton, NJ, but he only went home on the weekends because it took 2-3 hours to drive the 80 miles between the office and his house. F that. When we moved back to Colorado we crashed at my MIL's house northeast of Denver. My commute was similar, and I could do it in about an hour and 20 minutes.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:14 PM

1,320 posts, read 867,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
This isn't 1850. It's not a 2 month trip in a covered wagon from Denver to Chicago or a multi-day trip on a steam locomotive. Not everybody wants to be jammed into the crowded petri dish or deal with craptacular humidity.

In college I interviewed for a job in Westchester County, NY. The VP of the company lived in Princeton, NJ, but he only went home on the weekends because it took 2-3 hours to drive the 80 miles between the office and his house. F that. When we moved back to Colorado we crashed at my MIL's house northeast of Denver. My commute was similar, and I could do it in about an hour and 20 minutes.
When I lived in Ohio, a major point that people would often tout was how centrally located it was. Now I live near Seattle, which people often say is very isolated.

Honestly, I've found that Seattle area has a better location in terms of proximity to other places, or at least places that I actually want to go. There's plenty to do in the PNW, but if I want to go elsewhere... Hawaii is closer, California is closer, Alaska is closer, my family in Phoenix is closer. The national parks of the West, Asia, Tahiti... all much closer.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:54 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
When I lived in Ohio, a major point that people would often tout was how centrally located it was. Now I live near Seattle, which people often say is very isolated.

Honestly, I've found that Seattle area has a better location in terms of proximity to other places, or at least places that I actually want to go. There's plenty to do in the PNW, but if I want to go elsewhere... Hawaii is closer, California is closer, Alaska is closer, my family in Phoenix is closer. The national parks of the West, Asia, Tahiti... all much closer.
100%. Seattle is 2.5 hr drive to Vancouver BC and if you love Asian food, it feels a bit like being able to drive to Hong Kong. Hawaii is also as close as it gets. Heck, I've even done 4-day weekend trips to Tokyo with the kids. The national parks to the north, south, east, west are all closer. Even Banff, Jasper and Whistler aren't far. It's isolated from the imagination of many people living on the East Coast and the South, that's for sure. But the Midwest and also Denver felt way more isolated to me.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:13 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
The west has the most expensive housing in the nation with 7 of the 8 most expensive housing by state. Higher mortgage rates have had a bigger effect on house prices in the West because housing prices are so high in comparison with the rest of the country. Massachusetts is the most expensive state not in the west and a few other northeast states are also expensive.

Cheapest are the south and Midwest.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...price-by-state

Old 04-17-2023, 05:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

At least you can take a train. I can point to lots of 80 mile drives in LA or the Bay Area that are more impossible than Princeton to Westchester. You’re complaining about getting to a job on the wrong side of the largest city in the US. That’s kind of ridiculous.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:07 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Well, the median home price in Greater Boston hit $900k last spring, with slight appreciation since then.

So, yes, anything under $700k outside of the more depressed cities around the metro would be considered affordable in Eastern Massachusetts. I mean, Waltham and Framingham are not very desirable places to live in the grand scheme of Massachusetts, and even in these areas (as listed above) you’re only getting an outdated cape or ranch.

In the blue chip suburbs, lots and tear downs go for $1M+ at this point.
Which is why growth in the metro is driven by births with domestic migration fleeing.

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...ewton%2C_MA-NH

Median is closer to the $770,000.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/prope...ce-chart-2021/

Old 04-18-2023, 02:04 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
LOL...The West is not isolated,we just have more undeveloped land/rural areas,and nothing is far since we have Cars,Buses,Trains,Planes.
Yes the Old Days of using Wagons and Horses are over

The Demand is still high here in the West because of Location,Climate,Opportunities and there is still an enormous amount of Land for Development and Economic Growth.

Also the West has a lot of Great Cities/Towns and is the Land of Innovation,and also the West created The Major Themed Amusement Parks(Disneyland,Universal Studios),but also we have Great America,Six Flags,Knotts Berry Farm,Legoland,SeaWorld,Etc.

The West also faces East Asia,which has many wonderful countries and probably the fastest growing economies in the World.

The West also has Hawaii and Las Vegas,which has no equivalent anywhere on the East Coast.

The West also has Most of the National Parks and Preserved Land as well

Also alot of trends starts in the West then spreads around the Country.

The East is more populated,because that's where all the early immigrants and cities were first built.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City