Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 12:52 PM

13,741 posts, read 15,813,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Those two things aren't contradictory. You can have a concurrent increase among the college-educated and a decrease among the overall Black population.

Your posts show you're not really familiar with Atlanta. Atlanta used to have a lot of rough housing projects like East Lake, Bowen Homes, Harris Homes, etc. that are all gone now. At that same time, there's been an influx of both White and Black professionals into many of the same neighborhoods.
This thread isn’t about college educated Black people. It’s about the percentage of Black people in each city and which city is seeing their percentage fall faster.

Everyone knows Atlanta razed all their public housing and switched to a voucher system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 12:56 PM

32,151 posts, read 34,828,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This thread isn’t about college educated Black people. It’s about the percentage of Black people in each city and which city is seeing their percentage fall faster.
If that's the case, then why did you bring up middle class and professional Black people? This thread could have been one post if that's all you wanted to talk about.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
If that's the case, then why did you bring up middle class and professional Black people? This thread could have been one post if that's all you wanted to talk about.
I guess you’re agreeing with me now.

Many times, these discussions evolve because people make claims like Black professionals don’t want to live EOTR. I guess that is everyone’s go to rebuttal. I think earlier in this thread, there was a debate between PG County and DC proper. Then we started talking about professionals living in the city versus the suburbs and whether they have kids. It evolved overtime, but the thread was about Atlanta losing their Black percentage at a faster rate than DC. The media paints a very different picture, but it doesn’t appear to be accurate.

I like to look at zip code’s because we know what kind of land size we’re comparing. How big is the land size you’re looking at in Atlanta?

Old 04-25-2023, 01:13 PM

32,151 posts, read 34,828,285 times
Quote:
Many times, these discussions evolve because people make claims like Black professionals don’t want to live EOTR. I guess that is everyone’s go to rebuttal. I think earlier in this thread, there was a debate between PG County and DC proper. Then we started talking about professionals living in the city versus the suburbs and whether they have kids. It evolved overtime, but the thread was about Atlanta losing their Black percentage at a faster rate than DC. The media paints a very different picture, but it doesn’t appear to be accurate.
That seems to be a phantom claim. I don't recall saying that nor do I recall anyone else saying that. I don't think White people particularly want to live there, but Black people move there because it's affordable and a chance at home ownership.

What I do recall saying/doing was providing numbers showing that there were virtually zero college-educated Black women making over 100K living in Ward 8. Or something along those lines. I do think Ward 8 is a rarely ever a first option for people.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
That seems to be a phantom claim. I don't recall saying that nor do I recall anyone else saying that. I don't think White people particularly want to live there, but Black people move there because it's affordable and a chance at home ownership.

What I do recall saying/doing was providing numbers showing that there were virtually zero college-educated Black women making over 100K living in Ward 8. Or something along those lines. I do think Ward 8 is a rarely ever a first option for people.
Well, I will agree Ward 8 is night and day to Ward 7. That is actually a common theme amongst my friends and I. We aren’t really fans of Ward 8 and many Black people in DC say that. It’s just really ghetto. It just feels different over there. It doesn’t help that they voted in that idiot Trayon White who wouldn’t have a chance in a place like Ward 7. That’s where the bulk of the public housing is in DC.

Just so you know, the wealth EOTR is almost exclusively in Ward 7. That’s all of 20019 and half of 20020. Everything from Hill Crest headed northeast. I reference it often and the demographics are very different than Ward 8. When I speak to the capital of Black DC, I’m talking about Ward 7 and zip code 20019 specifically.

What I will say about Ward 8 is it will certainly be first to gentrify. Navy Yard is so close over the bridge and the Bridge District is going to connect them.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:55 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Quote:
You were responding to me saying Black people rent luxury apartments in DC which really came from discussions with Mutiny over the last couple years. He said Black people in Atlanta don’t really lease luxury apartments compared to Black people in DC.
I don't ever recall saying anything like this.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't ever recall saying anything like this.
I think this gave me that impression from a post you made on 05-09-2020 in the "Washington DC vs Atlanta for African American urban living" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Keep in mind the OP is from Atlanta so he already knows how the city is built and which neighborhoods are the most urban in the city. SFH neighborhoods in the core of the city aren't going anywhere but there's been a ton of multifamily going up on vacant parcels. West Midtown is somewhat comparable to Navy Yard in that both districts, although oriented differently, are largely new with some redeveloped properties acting as anchors.

I've actually renting short-term in Ward 7 since my return and this summer I hope to find something long term in this area. It's definitely up-and-coming and I generally like it. There are definitely Black professionals purchasing in this ward though, including a couple of people I know personally.

You bring up a good point about who's living in the new residential developments in Atlanta. Back in 2018 when I left the DMV for my hometown in SC, I also spent several weeks in Atlanta and while there, I stayed with a good friend who rents a condo downtown in a midrise residential building next to Centennial Park which was pretty cool. I've known others who have lived in older and newer rental units in downtown, Midtown, Atlantic Station, the stretch of Peachtree connecting Midtown, Buckhead, Lindbergh, etc. My experiences have been that peers/friends who live in multifamily buildings in the core or even the suburbs aren't in the brand spanking new developments but the ones that are like 10-20 years old or so. A frat brother I know owns a unit downtown one of the historic buildings; he moved back to his hometown of LA several years ago but he offered the unit for me to rent if I ever landed a new job in Atlanta and needed a place to stay. So yeah I believe there's a fair amount of us living in the newer rental units in Atlanta albeit not the very newest ones.
By the way, are you back in DC? If so, what area did you settle down in?

Old 04-29-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I deleted my last post because it wasn’t factually correct. But I wanted to ask you, how do you know this is just Southeast and Southwest Atlanta? A significant amount of the gentrifying areas of Atlanta are north of I-20 and majority black. I don’t think the same is true for D.C north of Anacostia. So I don’t think Southwest and Southeast Atlanta are just the majority black neighborhoods or did you only split off, the majority balck neighborhoods South of I-20?

I think 30303, 30312, 30313 need to be taken out. To a lesser extent 30314 as well. Those are the neighborhoods I think are gentrifying outright north of I-20. One of those neighborhoods is Downtown which I simply don’t think is equivalent to the EOTR neighborhoods at all. The other two are basically ringing Downtown and like I said will likely gentrify even more. I didn’t even realize they were majority black neighborhoods.
Ok, I'll try those zip codes.

Quote:
Black or African American Alone With Bachelor's Degree or Higher (2021)

Atlanta (South PUMA) - 26,378
District of Columbia (East PUMA) - 20,957

Black or African American Alone With Bachelor's Degree or Higher (2016)

Atlanta (South PUMA) - 16,831
District of Columbia (East PUMA) - 14,915

Atlanta + 9,547
DC + 6,042

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Here are the educational attainment results for SW ATL and EOTR DC:

East of the River DC (Zip Code = 20019, 20020, 20032)

Land Size: 15.9 sq. miles
Population: 159,559 people
Pop Density: 10,035 people per square mile
Black Percentage: 90% Black Alone

SW Atlanta (Zip Code = 30310, 30311, 30315)

Land Size: 32.6 square miles
Population: 95,637 people
Pop Density: 2,934 people per square mile
Black Percentage: 84% Black Alone

EOTR DC vs. SW ATL
Bachelor's Degree or Higher = 24,186 Black people
Bachelor's Degree or Higher = 18,394 Black people

EOTR DC vs. SW ATL 18-24 Years Bachelor's Degree or Higher
DC = 810 Black people
ATL = 387 Black people

EOTR DC vs. SW ATL 25-34 Years Bachelor's Degree or Higher
DC = 7,169 Black people
ATL = 4,560 Black people

EOTR DC vs. SW ATL 35-44 Years (Bachelor's Degree or Higher)
DC = 6,540 Black people
ATL = 4,700 Black people

EOTR DC vs. SW ATL 45-64 Years (Bachelor's Degree or Higher)
DC = 6,066 Black people
ATL = 5,544 Black people

EOTR DC vs. SW ATL 65 Years and Over (Bachelor's Degree or Higher)
DC = 3,601 Black people
ATL = 3,203 Black people

2021 EOTR DC and SW ATL Black Educational Attainment

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-29-2023 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-07-2024, 09:53 PM

200 posts, read 127,425 times
Quote:
This doesn't prove that the majority of Black wealth is concentrating in PG County. Again, this goes back to my example about some random suburban county having a higher median HHI than Manhattan. This doesn't mean "richer." It does mean less diverse, as in most suburban jurisdictions have exclusionary zoning policies that keep more poor people out, hence higher median incomes. They also tend to have less subsidized housing that prevents displacement to some degree.

If you ended all affordable housing programs in NYC or DC, you would see the median HHI skyrocket since a large number of people would not be able to afford market rates. So there's an income distortion there that you're not going to see in most suburban jurisdictions.
That is a great point and something that seems to be a North American phenomena. I mean if people are honest - we know the history as to why... In many cases - in other countries wealthier people live in the cities and the poorer people live on the outskirts. Some have more forced economic integration. Yes the US in many ways is unique in that poorer people are in the cities and rural areas - while suburbs avoid the lower income people. That trend increased after WW2 - like you said "exclusionary zoning".

Old 05-08-2024, 07:45 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Quote:
I think this gave me that impression from a post you made on 05-09-2020 in the "Washington DC vs Atlanta for African American urban living" thread.
I know this response is like a year old, but luxury apartment developments that are 10-20 years old are still considered luxury. =
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City