Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 05:34 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Looking at recent census data, the Black population percentage in the City of Atlanta has dropped faster over the last decade than the Black population percentage in DC proper. Which jurisdiction will see their Black population percentage passed as being the largest racial group first?

DC Proper

Black = 43%
White = 36%
Hispanic = 11%
Asian = 4%

City of Atlanta

Black = 44%
White = 39%
Hispanic = 6%
Asian = 5%

These two cities have been competing for the title of Chocolate City for years, but recent demographic changes have been shifting the racial makeup of both cities. Which city will hold on to the title longest with Black people making up the largest population of any other race moving forward?

For clarity, this is not about suburban people and jurisdictions. This is about the actual cities themselves.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-01-2023 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 04:28 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Looking at recent census data, the Black population percentage in the City of Atlanta has dropped faster over the last decade than the Black population percentage in DC proper. Which jurisdiction will see their Black population percentage passed as being the largest racial group first?

DC Proper

Black = 43%
White = 36%
Hispanic = 11%
Asian = 4%

City of Atlanta

Black = 44%
White = 39%
Hispanic = 6%
Asian = 5%

These two cities have been competing for the title of Chocolate City for years, but recent demographic changes have been shifting the racial makeup of both cities. Which city will hold on to the title longest with Black people making up the largest population of any other race moving forward?

For clarity, this is not about suburban people and jurisdictions. This is about the actual cities themselves.

If anything, both cities are competing to be one of the future "DIVERSE" capitols.

Chocolate city titles are a thing of the past for inner cities as the years move along and gentrification continues to take a hold on cities.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:58 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:

DC Proper

Black = 43%
White = 36%
Hispanic = 11%
Asian = 4%

City of Atlanta

Black = 44%
White = 39%
Hispanic = 6%
Asian = 5%

I think D.C will remain less black heading into the future. Just because so much of Atlanta’s landmass is black neighborhoods. Buckhead is what makes Atlanta white and it’s not necessarily the center of the city while NW D.C is partially the center and is far more urban throughout it and representative of D.C than Buckhead is of the rest of Atlanta. Once gentrification changes Central Atlanta I feel like it will take far longer to get to the more suburban parts of West especially Southwest Atlanta.

When you look at say the distance to Capital Hill, it’s far more likely that all neighborhoods West of the Anacostia in my humble opinion becomes either diverse, majority white or plurality white.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 04-02-2023 at 12:06 AM..

Old 04-02-2023, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think D.C will remain less black heading into the future. Just because so much of Atlanta’s landmass is black neighborhoods. Buckhead is what makes Atlanta white and it’s not necessarily the center of the city while NW D.C is partially the center and is far more urban throughout it and representative of D.C than Buckhead is of the rest of Atlanta. Once gentrification changes Central Atlanta I feel like it will take far longer to get to the more suburban parts of West especially Southwest Atlanta.

When you look at say the distance to Capital Hill, it’s far more likely that all neighborhoods West of the Anacostia in my humble opinion becomes either diverse, majority white or plurality white.
Wouldn’t that be the opposite of what you’re saying? The more central Atlanta builds, the lower the Black population percentage will drop. The SW Atlanta neighborhoods aren’t producing the density needed to keep pace with the growth of other races in central Atlanta. That’s how the population percentage dropped over the last decade.

Looking at the demographics right now, Atlanta’s White population is 5% below the Black population while in DC, the White population is 7% below the Black population. I think this boils down to construction in the Black parts of each city and who is moving into the new construction.

Old 04-02-2023, 01:47 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
I personally see Atlanta’s white population surpassing its black population faster, unless buckhead secedes. The trends just break that way and I think the division of municipal boundaries there is super weak and facilitates that.

In public consciousness Atlanta will retain Chocolate City longer though.

A large share of people- of all races- don’t know DC as Chocolate City. Even in DC you have people saying it used to be chocolate city or that it’s Mocha City.

Atlanta has basically become a euphemism for Black in American lexicon and there’s just way too much black media that come out of ATL for anyone to even think about it being Chocolate city or not. People might know nothing about Atlanta other than it’s the black capital of North America.

Old 04-02-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I personally see Atlanta’s white population surpassing its black population faster, unless buckhead secedes. The trends just break that way and I think the division of municipal boundaries there is super weak and facilitates that.

A large share of people- of all races- don’t know DC as Chocolate City. Even in DC you have people saying it used to be chocolate city or that it’s Mocha City.

Atlanta has basically become a euphemism for Black in American lexicon and there’s just way too much black media that come out of ATL for anyone to even think about it being Chocolate city or not. People might know nothing about Atlanta other than it’s the black capital of North America.
I agree with this. People associate Atlanta with the suburbs and people in Atlanta embrace the suburbs so that makes sense. It doesn’t have the same dynamic a DC or NYC does with its suburbs where the city is superior to the suburbs from what I have observed. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say anything negative about living in the suburbs of Atlanta the way people in DC talk about living in Virginia or Maryland or people in NYC talk about living in New Jersey. That is perception though.

The reality will be different and I too agree the data and trends point to the Black population in Atlanta being surpassed soon. It will be interesting looking at this over the coming years.

Old 04-02-2023, 02:11 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

I'm also curious if the the incorporation of South Fulton may cause a shift to that city: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Fulton,_Georgia

https://www.cityofsouthfultonga.gov/

Old 04-02-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm also curious if the the incorporation of South Fulton may cause a shift to that city: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Fulton,_Georgia

https://www.cityofsouthfultonga.gov/
Isn’t it incorporated already?

Old 04-02-2023, 03:20 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Isn’t it incorporated already?
Yes, but it is still quite new and it likely will have room for more development in the future. So, that is why I'm wondering if there will be a shift to South Fulton, given that it is 90% black and has room to grow.

Old 04-02-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, but it is still quite new and it likely will have room for more development in the future. So, that is why I'm wondering if there will be a shift to South Fulton, given that it is 90% black and has room to grow.
Do you think Black people in SW Atlanta will leave for the City of South Fulton in the coming years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City