Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 08:38 AM

32,151 posts, read 34,812,842 times

Advertisements

Here's another big difference between EOTR and SW Atlanta.

Quote:
At mid-century, much of the area remained almost rural, with long stretches of undeveloped land and hog farms dotting the landscape along the Maryland border. The middle and working-class neighborhoods of Far Southeast and Far Northeast were more than 80 percent white, with African Americans confined by custom and restrictive covenants to the old Hillsdale neighborhood and Deanwood in Far Northeast.

Within less than two decades, however, the predominantly white world of Far Northeast and Far Southeast would disappear.

Urban renewal in Southwest initiated much of the neighborhood change. Displaced by the new development, roughly half of Southwest’s 23,000 former residents relocated east of the river, joined by low-income black residents fleeing “private revitalization” in Capitol Hill and Foggy Bottom. East of the river neighborhoods, the Washington Post claimed, were becoming a “dumping ground for victims of urban renewal and high rents.”

The city responded to mid-century displacement by rapidly building public housing units throughout the area. By the end of the 1960s, most of the city’s public housing residents lived there.
https://wamu.org/story/18/04/03/opin...ns-east-river/

The history of SW Atlanta is a little different. Most of it was middle-class and White until the late 60s/early 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 08:40 AM

Southwest Atlanta seemed to have followed the more traditional White Flight model of the 60s and 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQoXDlnJSGo&t=117s

Old 04-25-2023, 09:22 AM

13,736 posts, read 15,804,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As I said earlier, Ward 8 and SWATS aren't an apples-to-apples comparison. Bankhead is probably more analogous to Ward 8 than SW.

EOTR is heavily stigmatized and largely avoided by non-Black people. It's also geographically isolated and a bit "out of sight, out of mind." The West End is in close proximity to the center of Atlanta and is also close to areas that had been gentrifying since the 70s. It also has some of the most desirable housing stock in the state of Georgia, which will only accelerate gentrification. Any neighborhood that has things that people want (location, housing stock, amenities, transit, walkability) will gentrify. Even Bankhead is seeing some gentrification since it's close to desirable areas.

Another reason why Ward 8 will remain more Black is low-income/affordable housing. Atlanta is a Blue city but it's in a Red state. The CoA razed a lot of public housing in the 90s and 00s and a lot of those residents were displaced. You don't see this type of large-scale public housing demolition on the East Coast and when it happens you don't see nearly the same level of displacement. DC offers generous housing subsidies that simply aren't going to be available in a state with a Republican legislature.
So you think the percentage of Black residents of Atlanta will continue to fall faster than DC? I thought you were trying to dispute it? The evidence has pointed to Atlanta losing their Black percentage faster over the last decade.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So you think the percentage of Black residents of Atlanta will continue to fall faster than DC? I thought you were trying to dispute it? The evidence has pointed to Atlanta losing their Black percentage faster over the last decade.
The only things I disputed were your income cutoffs, which didn't account for salary and COL differences, and your claims about the rent being equal in both cities. I don't have an emotional stake in this conversation. I've just been pointing out facts and context that need to be considered in the comparison.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The only things I disputed were your income cutoffs, which didn't account for salary and COL differences, and your claims about the rent being equal in both cities. I don't have an emotional stake in this conversation. I've just been pointing out facts and context that need to be considered in the comparison.

Huh?

The whole thread is about this below.

Quote:
Looking at recent census data, the Black population percentage in the City of Atlanta has dropped faster over the last decade than the Black population percentage in DC proper. Which jurisdiction will see their Black population percentage passed as being the largest racial group first?

DC Proper

Black = 43%
White = 36%
Hispanic = 11%
Asian = 4%

City of Atlanta

Black = 44%
White = 39%
Hispanic = 6%
Asian = 5%

These two cities have been competing for the title of Chocolate City for years, but recent demographic changes have been shifting the racial makeup of both cities. Which city will hold on to the title longest with Black people making up the largest population of any other race moving forward?

For clarity, this is not about suburban people and jurisdictions. This is about the actual cities themselves.
Everything we have been taking about is related to how COL impacts whether Black people will rent and buy in the city versus the suburbs in each city. I thought you were trying to say Black people are more likely to buy and rent in the City of Atlanta because of the COL.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I thought you were trying to say Black people are more likely to buy and rent in the City of Atlanta because of the COL.
Then you misunderstood what I was saying. You made a post about DC having more households with X amount of income. I said that you need to consider that salaries are higher in DC, so you need to figure out what a comparable salary would be in Atlanta, and then use that as a benchmark. I said that "high earning" is relative to the region one lives in since 100K in Manhattan isn't remotely the same as 100K in Mississippi.

Do you not remember any of this?

The only time the COL factor doesn't matter is when you're talking about individual earners making more than 500K. At that point, you're pretty much objectively "high-earning" no matter where you live in the country.

Old 04-25-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Then you misunderstood what I was saying. You made a post about DC having more households with X amount of income. I said that you need to consider that salaries are higher in DC, so you need to figure out what a comparable salary would be in Atlanta, and then use that as a benchmark. I said that "high earning" is relative to the region one lives in since 100K in Manhattan isn't remotely the same as 100K in Mississippi.

Do you not remember any of this?

The only time the COL factor doesn't matter is when you're talking about individual earners making more than 500K. At that point, you're pretty much objectively "high-earning" no matter where you live in the country.
This is the first post I responded to from you.

Quote:
What are you calling a "luxury" apartment building? There are buildings like this EOTR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbH5cIt_HJ8
You were responding to me saying Black people rent luxury apartments in DC which really came from discussions with Mutiny over the last couple years. He said Black people in Atlanta don’t really lease luxury apartments compared to Black people in DC.

I would say the biggest factor in all of this is that the COL in Atlanta seems to be impacting the decisions of Black people more than the COL in DC is impacting the decisions of Black people.

Old 04-25-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You were responding to me saying Black people rent luxury apartments in DC which really came from discussions with Mutiny over the last couple years.
That's not what I was saying. I was asking you if they were building buildings like that EOTR because I was trying to get your understanding of "luxury." You provided links to some apartments in response. I would not consider the buildings in those links to be "luxury" but I would consider them to be nice.

Old 04-25-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I would say the biggest factor in all of this is that the COL in Atlanta seems to be impacting the decisions of Black people more than the COL in DC is impacting the decisions of Black people.
Two things.

1. You need to adjust your dollar threshold for "middle class." You've arbitrarily decided that 75K is a middle class income across the country. I've already said that "middle class" looks different in different parts of the country so 75K is probably too a high a threshold for Atlanta, which has lower salaries and an overall lower COL.

2. DC will not hemorrhage as many Black people for the reasons I outlined in a previous post. There are incentives for low-income households to remain in the District whereas that really isn't the case for Atlanta due to a far stingier state government. DC government has also made evictions virtually impossible while in Georgia it's a landlord's God-given right.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
That's not what I was saying. I was asking you if they were building buildings like that EOTR because I was trying to get your understanding of "luxury." You provided links to some apartments in response. I would not consider the buildings in those links to be "luxury" but I would consider them to be nice.
I should have said Class A apartments which is really what I mean. There are different levels of luxury and anything beyond Class B is considered luxury.

Are you surprised by the increase in Black professionals EOTR? Based on what you said below, why do you think Black professionals are flocking EOTR in such high numbers? Atlanta doesn’t seem to have the same cultural separation the Anacostia River created by separating EOTR/PG County/Charles County from the rest of the region. Maybe it provides protection again gentrification outside of Black led gentrification.

Quote:
As I said earlier, Ward 8 and SWATS aren't an apples-to-apples comparison. Bankhead is probably more analogous to Ward 8 than SW.

EOTR is heavily stigmatized and largely avoided by non-Black people. It's also geographically isolated and a bit "out of sight, out of mind." The West End is in close proximity to the center of Atlanta and is also close to areas that had been gentrifying since the 70s. It also has some of the most desirable housing stock in the state of Georgia, which will only accelerate gentrification. Any neighborhood that has things that people want (location, housing stock, amenities, transit, walkability) will gentrify. Even Bankhead is seeing some gentrification since it's close to desirable areas.

Another reason why Ward 8 will remain more Black is low-income/affordable housing. Atlanta is a Blue city but it's in a Red state. The CoA razed a lot of public housing in the 90s and 00s and a lot of those residents were displaced. You don't see this type of large-scale public housing demolition on the East Coast and when it happens you don't see nearly the same level of displacement. DC offers generous housing subsidies that simply aren't going to be available in a state with a Republican legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City