Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 07:41 AM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I don't think being a city that people resort to moving to only after a first/second/third choice became too expensive is an indicator of rising relevance.

Duke and UNC are certainly iconic institutions...that aren't located in Raleigh.

Its interesting they were mentioned though, because Chapel Hill probably has more national name recognition than Raleigh.
Firstly; the bolded is a huge leap in conjecture that approaches obnoxious. I feel like you probably know better than that.

More relevantly; while there are a few people who are vehemently "team Raleigh" or "Team Durham/CH"....most who live here know and live the fact that the area functions as one dynamic, yet cohesive, metro area.

Saying that Raleigh/The Triangle can't "claim" Duke or UNC is akin to saying that people in St Paul can't claim Mall of America or that people in Dallas can't claim the Cowboys because they are not in Hennepin or Dallas Counties respectively (granted...for that latter one; they may not want to )

I moved from Chapel Hill to Raleigh about 2 years ago. It's a 17 minute drive from my condo in CH to my house in Raleigh. I can get to UNC's campus in the same amount of time it would take me to get to NC State's campus. I'd wager a plurality if not a majority of UNC faculty and staff at the university and especially the hospital system live in Wake County.

As my username here should clearly indicate....I would love to be able to agree that Chapel Hill has more national name recognition than Raleigh. Outside NCAA broadcasts though.....that is not the case. Very silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 08:32 AM

14,161 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Firstly; the bolded is a huge leap in conjecture that approaches obnoxious. I feel like you probably know better than that.

More relevantly; while there are a few people who are vehemently "team Raleigh" or "Team Durham/CH"....most who live here know and live the fact that the area functions as one dynamic, yet cohesive, metro area.

Saying that Raleigh/The Triangle can't "claim" Duke or UNC is akin to saying that people in St Paul can't claim Mall of America or that people in Dallas can't claim the Cowboys because they are not in Hennepin or Dallas Counties respectively (granted...for that latter one; they may not want to )

I moved from Chapel Hill to Raleigh about 2 years ago. It's a 17 minute drive from my condo in CH to my house in Raleigh. I can get to UNC's campus in the same amount of time it would take me to get to NC State's campus. I'd wager a plurality if not a majority of UNC faculty and staff at the university and especially the hospital system live in Wake County.

As my username here should clearly indicate....I would love to be able to agree that Chapel Hill has more national name recognition than Raleigh. Outside NCAA broadcasts though.....that is not the case. Very silly.
The funny thing about this whole argument is:

Isn't Duke in Durham?

And isn't it called "the Triangle" because of the position of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill in relation to one another?

Old 05-09-2023, 08:35 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Isn't Duke in Durham?

And isn't it called "the Triangle" because of the position of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill in relation to one another?
yep. you are proving the point.

Its like saying well Harvard and MIT are mostly within in Cambridge... its still impacts the Boston area's economy.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Isn't Duke in Durham?

Correct. Triangle has 3 points. RTP is located where it is because it is roughly equidistant from its 3 namesake research universities.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:55 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
Yeah, but Southerners themselves gave CARY that nick name.
Still doesn't make the area feel like the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:12 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Grown in Relevance: Tampa, Charlotte, Washington DC, Boston, Miami, Austin, Orlando, Raleigh

Stayed the Same: New York City, San Antonio, Los Angeles, San Francisco (SF grew economically sure, but SF was everywhere in the 90s-00s for its culture etc)

*Dropper in Relevance, relative to other cities, but still is in the same position as before*: Chicago

Dropped in Relevance: Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Philadelphia
Of course I'm old, so my period of comparison is likely longer than most posters.
But, this looks broadly correct to me. MSAs in the south and west have grown, while those in the MidWest and North East have risen in prominence.

The only difference is I would say Boston has more stayed the same. It's boomed and transformed economically, but it's been a slow growth MSA relative to the Sunbelt. It would say it's trajectory is like NYC. Impressive for the northeast. But it was coming from a much high base than ATL, DFW, Hou.

I would also agree Philly has dropped in relevance nationally. But it's reputation has certainly improved greatly as the city core has revitalized and grown. It's one of the half dozen true urban cities in the US. Unlike Baltimore, STL and Detroit which have both declined in national importance and seen their reputations for crime/population loss in the central city continue.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:24 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:

"Dallas" is in the name of the Cowboys. The team plays elsewhere, but because the word "Dallas" has so much brand recognition, its part of the team brand.

So its not about being able or not being able to "claim" a nearby brand with name ID, its about NEEDING to in order to get noticed.

The NHL does not use "Raleigh" in the name of the Hurricanes, likely because of its relative obscurity.

The average person probably isn't even aware that the Hurricanes are associated with Raleigh (see earlier post where the poster didn't know they had pro sports).

I could be wrong, but it seems like the posters boosting Raleigh in this thread either live/have lived in the area.

The true test of relevance is being known about from other regions of the country and world.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
"Dallas" is in the name of the Cowboys. The team plays elsewhere, but because the word "Dallas" has so much brand recognition, its part of the team brand.

So its not about being able or not being able to "claim" a nearby brand with name ID, its about NEEDING to in order to get noticed.

The NHL does not use "Raleigh" in the name of the Hurricanes, likely because of its relative obscurity.

The average person probably isn't even aware that the Hurricanes are associated with Raleigh (see earlier post where the poster didn't know they had pro sports).

I could be wrong, but it seems like the posters boosting Raleigh in this thread either live/have lived in the area.

The true test of relevance is being known about from other regions of the country and world.
Yeah this is just willful ignorance at this point....

The NHL uses "Carolina Hurricanes" the same way the Panthers are the "Carolina Panthers" instead of the "Charlotte Panthers"..

Are the Patriots called the "New England Patriots" because Boston is obscure?

Are the Tennessee Titans so named because Nashville is obscure?

Is Minneapolis so obscure that the NFL, MLB, and NHL teams there are all named after the state instead of the city?

Granted at least your hometown does have the "San Diego Chargers" so it must be a super relevant city..... oh wait....

Old 05-09-2023, 10:38 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:

Well, you started off the conversation saying no one around you (presumably in San Diego) talks about Raleigh, therefore it is irrelevant. You then threw in an off-the-wall LA Olympics bit to underline your point.

The fact is Raleigh likely isn't a place to be mentioned in San Diego. We don't have the Olympics (World University Games '29 though, so watch out lol). It's really just a normal mid-major region, whose bread-and-butter is an educated workforce, and has been one of the major areas for domestic migration (particularly on the East Coast) for several decades.

I agree it likely isn't relevant to you or your life. But people aren't just accidentally moving here by the hundreds of thousands. It has some relevancy to some people some where.

Old 05-09-2023, 11:00 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Yeah this is just willful ignorance at this point....

The NHL uses "Carolina Hurricanes" the same way the Panthers are the "Carolina Panthers" instead of the "Charlotte Panthers"..

Are the Patriots called the "New England Patriots" because Boston is obscure?

Are the Tennessee Titans so named because Nashville is obscure?

Is Minneapolis so obscure that the NFL, MLB, and NHL teams there are all named after the state instead of the city?

Granted at least your hometown does have the "San Diego Chargers" so it must be a super relevant city..... oh wait....
The Patriots don't play in Boston. Like the other naming conventions you mentioned, its obviously a money grab to get a larger fan base. The difference is that the Hurricanes do play in Raleigh, and its likely the majority of the nation is unaware of this, because of Raleigh's obscurity.

BTW, "Charlotte Panthers" actually sounds better, maybe they should make that change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City