Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2023, 10:20 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Speaking of fading, REI just moved out of Portland proper (in Pearl). If you can't even retain REI and you're in the PNW, you got problems. Nordstrom is going to be next.
Did they close the city's only REI due to lack of sales, or was is it due to theft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 10:22 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Did they close the city's only REI due to lack of sales, or was is it due to theft?
Theft and general dysfunction. A few months ago, some junkies even rammed a car into the main REI in Portland to loot the store.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...es-worsen.html

Old 05-08-2023, 10:26 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I remember when most of those blocks had houses on them, traveling into the city via the Lewis & Clark Expressway (I-70) after a cross-state trip.

One of the things I point out about my hometown of Kansas City is: Had the city not annexed some 250 square miles of corn and soybeans over 30-odd years after World War II, the city would very closely resemble St. Louis in its trajectory: it would have reached its peak population in 1950 (456,622) and lost nearly half of it afterwards, thanks in large part to the depopulation of the old heavily Black section and its reversion to prairie. Instead of a city of a little more than half a million now, we'd be talking about one of about 250k.

Kansas City's population growth and continuing sprawl means it has had a slightly better growth trajectory than St. Louis since 1980 or so; as Lawrence and the Kansas side of the metro have grown towards each other, the home of the University of Kansas is now within the expanded metropolis (CSA), and that might give a boost to the area's educational profile (KU's medical and nursing schools have been in Kansas City (Kan.) since their creation ~1905).

In terms of importance, one of KC's issues of long standing is that it has historically been a branch-plant rather than headquarters city. It may now be home to the two (or two of the three) largest banks based in Missouri, but that wasn't always the case; the largest company now based there (Hallmark) is privately owned, and most of the others that were (Cerner, Russell Stover...) have either been acquired by companies based outside it or (Farmland Industries, the nation's largest farmer co-op) dismembered themselves; the meatpacking houses that handled the cattle and hogs that came through the nation's second-largest stockyards (after Chicago) were all based in the Windy City; a good chunk of the city's job base when I was growing up came from its role as a major regional center for Federal Government agencies; the city ranked second to Detroit in car and truck assembly, a status that began with the opening of the first branch auto assembly plant in the country (a Ford plant) in 1912; and so on.

But because the city might be considered the nation's biggest also-ran, I'm not sure its importance will fade in the way those other river cities' have. It will continue to be the second choice of many, who will likely fall for it should they end up passing their first choice by.
Kansas City is a brain drain city, generally losing the top talent to far more dynamic and innovative metro areas that have the faster growing economic sectors.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:32 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Likely theft. This has unfortunately been an ongoing problem in west coast downtown areas for the last few years. Nike in downtown Seattle closed a few months ago for the same reason. Same with Nordstrom in downtown SF.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:43 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Grown in Relevance: Tampa, Charlotte, Washington DC, Boston, Miami, Austin, Orlando, Raleigh

Stayed the Same: New York City, San Antonio, Los Angeles, San Francisco (SF grew economically sure, but SF was everywhere in the 90s-00s for its culture etc)

*Dropper in Relevance, relative to other cities, but still is in the same position as before*: Chicago

Dropped in Relevance: Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Philadelphia
I've never heard anyone talk about Raleigh absent some kind of pre-existing life situation there, and I"ve certainly never heard it come up in day to day conversation in the context of being relevant nationally.

From here, it looks like Raleigh's big claim to fame is population increase (i.e., accrual of suburbanites), while Los Angeles prepares to host the Olympics.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I've never heard anyone talk about Raleigh absent some kind of pre-existing life situation there, and I"ve certainly never heard it come up in day to day conversation in the context of being relevant nationally.

From here, it looks like Raleigh's big claim to fame is population increase (i.e., accrual of suburbanites), while Los Angeles prepares to host the Olympics.
I don't agree with this. Raleigh/Durham area has a booming Life Sciences industry and is moving up the ranks. And its particularly great for POC. Maybe its a California thing? I know things are a little less conversational in CA?

Maybe its not talked on much on the West Coast? But on the East Coast Raleigh is brought up for its great job scene, high quality of life and moderate weather. I lived there in 2021 for a few months prior to moving to NJ.

Phoenix? San Antonio? Sure.... Raleigh? No.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:08 PM

10,483 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
I don't agree with this. Raleigh/Durham area has a booming Life Sciences industry and is moving up the ranks. And its particularly great for POC. Maybe its a California thing? I know things are a little less conversational in CA?

Maybe its not talked on much on the West Coast? But on the East Coast Raleigh is brought up for its great job scene, high quality of life and moderate weather. I lived there in 2021 for a few months prior to moving to NJ.

I've been to Research Triangle Park a few times for work. Its definitely been a booming area but kind of dull. A lot of jobs, and more affordable nice suburban homes. Its great a place to raise a family it seems.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:11 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I've been to Research Triangle Park a few times for work. Its definitely been a booming area but kind of dull. A lot of jobs, and more affordable nice suburban homes. Its great a place to raise a family it seems.
RTP has very affordable/cheap houses relative to the higher median household income levels and corresponding educational attainment levels.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:

I agree. Raleigh also had a blossoming Tech scene before the tech slow down. Not sure if it was affected but I know the tech scene was significant there.

But yeah, Raleigh is definitely in the picture on life Sciences.

You got to be under a rock to not have heard of the research triangle or of Duke University and UNC Chapel Hill.

That area has a booming economy with a bigger than expected per capita GDP

Old 05-08-2023, 12:39 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
In my lifetime, Florida has gone from 17 electoral votes to 30 while New York has gone from 41 to 28.
Ehh... for some reason I read the thread topic as "states" instead of cities. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City