Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 12:29 PM

5,489 posts, read 3,931,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This has also expanded SIGNIFICANTLY in the past 5 years or so. Quite a bit of migration from Florida (yes, often by way of the NE first.. a-la "Half-backers") and also quite bit from Texas and the West Coast. Seattle and the Bay Area in particular with the tech presence and the new Apple Campus. Not to mention significant international migration especially from South Asia (both directly via H1B and by way of first immigrating to other US tech hub areas and then settling here).

Cary being "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" is a misnomer in several ways at this point.

And yes; even with an increasingly higher-profile NHL team; the Triangle's main claim to sports fame is most definitely the ACC schools.
What percentage of NFL fans know that the Tennessee Titans play in Nashville? What percentage of NHL fans know that Carolina plays in Raleigh? The answers are probably lower than you'd guess...but the TN 'correct answer' percentage is also probably going to be a good deal higher than the Carolina one, if only because Nashville is more easily guessable than Raleigh. Lots of people who don't know are going to guess Charlotte, especially since 'the other Carolina' team plays in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I don't think being a city that people resort to moving to only after a first/second/third choice became too expensive is an indicator of rising relevance.

Duke and UNC are certainly iconic institutions...that aren't located in Raleigh.

Its interesting they were mentioned though, because Chapel Hill probably has more national name recognition than Raleigh.
In terms of name recognition nationally, the ranking would probably go Chapel Hill #1, Durham #2, then Raleigh #3. Might be wrong on 1 and 2 thanks to 'Bull Durham'. Raleigh is almost certainly 3 though

Old 05-09-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Firstly; the bolded is a huge leap in conjecture that approaches obnoxious. I feel like you probably know better than that.

More relevantly; while there are a few people who are vehemently "team Raleigh" or "Team Durham/CH"....most who live here know and live the fact that the area functions as one dynamic, yet cohesive, metro area.

Saying that Raleigh/The Triangle can't "claim" Duke or UNC is akin to saying that people in St Paul can't claim Mall of America or that people in Dallas can't claim the Cowboys because they are not in Hennepin or Dallas Counties respectively (granted...for that latter one; they may not want to )

I moved from Chapel Hill to Raleigh about 2 years ago. It's a 17 minute drive from my condo in CH to my house in Raleigh. I can get to UNC's campus in the same amount of time it would take me to get to NC State's campus. I'd wager a plurality if not a majority of UNC faculty and staff at the university and especially the hospital system live in Wake County.

As my username here should clearly indicate....I would love to be able to agree that Chapel Hill has more national name recognition than Raleigh. Outside NCAA broadcasts though.....that is not the case. Very silly.
Disagree with the last paragraph. I'd wager money on this...let's commission a poll, shall we? You're from Rochester originally, correct? Come back to Upstate NY and ask around about name recognition of Chapel Hill vs. Durham vs. Raleigh...even though WNY is an area that should know of Raleigh more than many, given that NC is a popular relocation destination from Buffalo and Rochester, I think collegiate sports fandom is the biggest factor in contributing to recognizability. Raleigh as a municipality is completely off the average person's radar; despite its growth, it's still underrated in a sense

Old 05-09-2023, 12:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
In terms of name recognition nationally, the ranking would probably go Chapel Hill #1, Durham #2, then Raleigh #3. Might be wrong on 1 and 2 thanks to 'Bull Durham'. Raleigh is almost certainly 3 though
I'd guess Raleigh, as it's listed first when most writers mention the area. The area flies under the radar due to the lack of pro teams. I mostly see it mentioned as a solid second-tier tech/biotech city. But that's a good place to be.

Do people connect the movie to the region? I sure didn't, though it was a long time ago.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:49 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Of course I'm old, so my period of comparison is likely longer than most posters.
But, this looks broadly correct to me. MSAs in the south and west have grown, while those in the MidWest and North East have risen in prominence.

The only difference is I would say Boston has more stayed the same. It's boomed and transformed economically, but it's been a slow growth MSA relative to the Sunbelt. It would say it's trajectory is like NYC. Impressive for the northeast. But it was coming from a much high base than ATL, DFW, Hou.

I would also agree Philly has dropped in relevance nationally. But it's reputation has certainly improved greatly as the city core has revitalized and grown. It's one of the half dozen true urban cities in the US. Unlike Baltimore, STL and Detroit which have both declined in national importance and seen their reputations for crime/population loss in the central city continue.
Vehemently disagree here. When I was growing up, Boston wasnt really a big deal. It was just another mid sized city on the east coast with a stupid holly wood film every so often. But since then it has really climbed the ranks jumping from Beta to Alpha- in just 6 years. Population wise- The Boston MSA grew by 9% since 2010 and 17% since 2000. Thats 2x NYC and more than 3x Philadelphia.

In my opinion DC and Boston are solidly up. NYC is more or less the same. Philly and Baltimore are down.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:54 PM

372 posts, read 204,068 times
Quote:
I so completely disagree with this. For name recognition, I strongly believe Raleigh would be first. Chapel Hill and Durham are not, as cities, on the radar of most. A guess, but I don't live in NC, and I very strongly feel what I said is true.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:55 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think Raleigh's downfall, as it relates to it's national profile, is the lack of professional sports teams. Austin is the one city without pro teams that has been able to develop a national profile, but it's the exception. You really need pro sports teams and/or a booming downtown to get national exposure. Raleigh doesn't have either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'd guess Raleigh, as it's listed first when most writers mention the area. The area flies under the radar due to the lack of pro teams.
Two posts in this thread from regular posters who are unaware that Raleigh even has an NHL team.

Proving my point, outside of the region, the isolated entity called "Raleigh" is mostly invisible.

The Hurricanes probably should play in Charlotte, but much like Columbus, the NHL appears to have thrown them a bone.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:55 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
In what world is a 1980s dad movie more known than state capitals? Raleigh is easily #1, Durham is easily #2 in the area. Chapel Hill is maybe the 8th or 9th most known in the state (Charlotte, Winston, Greensboro, Asheville, Wilmington for sure, possibly Kitty Hawk lol).

Old 05-09-2023, 02:00 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
Disagree with the last paragraph. I'd wager money on this...let's commission a poll, shall we? You're from Rochester originally, correct? Come back to Upstate NY and ask around about name recognition of Chapel Hill vs. Durham vs. Raleigh...even though WNY is an area that should know of Raleigh more than many, given that NC is a popular relocation destination from Buffalo and Rochester, I think collegiate sports fandom is the biggest factor in contributing to recognizability. Raleigh as a municipality is completely off the average person's radar; despite its growth, it's still underrated in a sense
This is what I mean.

It reminds me a lot of San Jose about 15 years ago. Despite its clear increase in wealth and population, the city itself just couldn't get noticed. Like Raleigh and Columbus, the NHL threw a bone to a C-list city with the Sharks.

So "Research Triangle" is a lot like "Silicon Valley" from a few decades ago....you needed to use it in place of the actual cities due to their obscurity.

In terms of national relevance, I"d rank Raleigh below Columbus, Richmond, Grand Rapids, Reno, and probably Knoxville.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:10 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
In terms of national relevance, I"d rank Raleigh below Columbus, Richmond, Grand Rapids, Reno, and probably Knoxville.
I think you are using 'relevance' to mean 'famous'. Which is fine in a way, but also a different discussion than the one I thought was being had. I don't think Reno has been relevant since no-fault divorce became a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City