Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 02:54 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Albuquerque Isotopes have to get the nod for second-most-famous, one would think, heh.
Or the Rocket City Trash Pandas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 03:07 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
In what world is a 1980s dad movie more known than state capitals? Raleigh is easily #1, Durham is easily #2 in the area. Chapel Hill is maybe the 8th or 9th most known in the state (Charlotte, Winston, Greensboro, Asheville, Wilmington for sure, possibly Kitty Hawk lol).
What percentage of Americans can name the state capital of North Carolina? Over/under 20.5%

Old 05-09-2023, 03:07 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Disagree with the last paragraph. I'd wager money on this...let's commission a poll, shall we? You're from Rochester originally, correct? Come back to Upstate NY and ask around about name recognition of Chapel Hill vs. Durham vs. Raleigh...even though WNY is an area that should know of Raleigh more than many, given that NC is a popular relocation destination from Buffalo and Rochester, I think collegiate sports fandom is the biggest factor in contributing to recognizability. Raleigh as a municipality is completely off the average person's radar; despite its growth, it's still underrated in a sense
The relocation aspect is SIGNIFICNATLY more impactful than the collegiate sport aspect (as much as that pains me to say).

Old 05-09-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Or the Rocket City Trash Pandas.
Haha, that's great. Had never heard of that one

Old 05-09-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The relocation aspect is SIGNIFICNATLY more impactful than the collegiate sport aspect (as much as that pains me to say).
Is it, though? I admit I'm biased as a lifelong sports fan...but are you and Heel82 biased by being Raleigh-area locals?

Old 05-09-2023, 03:20 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Is it, though? I admit I'm biased as a lifelong sports fan...but are you and Heel82 biased by being Raleigh-area locals?
You mentioned making a "poll" up people from Upstate NY...

When I was accepted into UNC; cousins in Rochester said "oh cool which one?!"... a-la "SUNY Binghamton or SUNY Geneseo?" type of mindset

And "so is Chapel Hill closer to Raleigh or Charlotte"

"Oh it's only 20 minutes from your parents house are you going to live at home?"

The hoards of WNY people who moved to NC in from the late 80s-early 2000s (which yes, included my parents with me as a tot in tow) mostly settled in the outer neighborhoods of Raleigh (mostly North Raleigh) and it's suburbs to the North and West; or the outer neighborhoods in Charlotte (mostly south Charlotte) or it's suburbs to the North and East. Thus that is what their friends and family back up north know..."Charlotte" and environs, or "Raleigh" and environs.

They may know that the mountains has Asheville and the coast has the OBX.

It's not unlike when I would tell NC natives (or transplants from other areas of the US) that I was born in the Rochester area and it's "oh wow how often did you go to NYC"....well I was toddler and I'm pretty sure it's about a 6-8 hour drive so never.

Most Americans are geographically illiterate. Regardless of where they are originally from. We have a C-D bias/mindset in how incredulous and nit-picky we get about the geography and culture of places...but that exists in a vacuum on this forum.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Two posts in this thread from regular posters who are unaware that Raleigh even has an NHL team.

Proving my point, outside of the region, the isolated entity called "Raleigh" is mostly invisible.

The Hurricanes probably should play in Charlotte, but much like Columbus, the NHL appears to have thrown them a bone.
To be fair, I think I did at some point know that Raleigh had the Hurricanes, but I don't follow NHL much anymore so with the team officially called the "Carolina" Hurricanes, it's easy for non-NHL fans to forget, lol.

The "Carolina" Panthers being an NFL team, I follow NFL more, and so am aware they are based in Charlotte.

But you are correct. Not being really following NHL anymore, my first thought when hearing a pro sports team from "Carolina" would be to automatically think they would be in Charlotte.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:34 PM

I just conducted a very informal poll with a sample size of two...two of my best friends, lol. Both are Buffalo expats; one lives in DC, the other in Vegas. Both lifelong sports fans who could be subject to that Chapel Hill-boosting bias as I myself probably have been, but both overall smart, well-traveled dudes. I texted, 'What do you think has the most name recognition: Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill?' Pains me to say that they both responded 'Raleigh'. That will likely be the extent of polling I conduct on this topic but I think it's sufficient to change my mind, hah.

Part of my bias too is that, in my lifetime, I've known several people who've relocated to the Charlotte area but only one to the Raleigh area, that being a youth soccer coach who specifically mentioned Durham as the site to which he was relocating. That would've been circa 1998-1999

Personally, NC-wise, I've only been to Charlotte and Asheville, not 'The Triangle'. Would like to check it out sometime

'OBX' is arguably the single most popular rally sticker that you see in the Buffalo area, with 'ADK' for the Adirondacks and then a few Buffalo-area ones the other contenders

Old 05-09-2023, 03:36 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
What percentage of Americans can name the state capital of North Carolina? Over/under 20.5%
More than can name Bull Durham as a movie. I’m not saying Raleigh is a household name, but inflating Chapel Hill’s recognition to third most famous in the state (presumably after Charlotte and Asheville) is just crazy talk.

Glad your friends set you straight. Sometimes we need their help.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:16 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Two posts in this thread from regular posters who are unaware that Raleigh even has an NHL team.

Proving my point, outside of the region, the isolated entity called "Raleigh" is mostly invisible.

The Hurricanes probably should play in Charlotte, but much like Columbus, the NHL appears to have thrown them a bone.

Although my city now has an NHL team, I don't pay much attention, and certainly don't know where all the teams are. Maybe I should have said "big three."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City