Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Virginia - more in common with NJ or GA?
New Jersey 34 27.87%
Georgia 88 72.13%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 10:08 PM

829 posts, read 451,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I only asked because I live in the DMV now and grew up in Cobb County. When I think of "development," I think of things that one place have that another doesn't. When I'm riding around North Atlanta (Alpharetta, Marietta, Kennesaw, Smyrna, Cumberland, Sandy Springs, Milton, Roswell, and Gwinnett County) I'm not seeing how NOVA is more developed, plus NOVA technically starts at Fredericksburg. Now, I'll give you the urbanized statement all day, but that's really only in Arlington and Alexandria. We also can't forget places like Woodbridge, Lorton, Springfield, Dumfries, etc...no one from Northern Atlanta is going to come to those places and think that they are more developed than their city.
I guess I should have specified a bit more so I apologize on my behalf. I genuinely think NOVA is more developed than North Atlanta and part of that has to do with urbanization. The TOD nodes are very strong in NOVA and while North Atlanta has heavy developed areas like Alpharetta and Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center, I just feel NOVA has more. There are more developed areas in NOVA imo. I grew up in Cobb too btw so that’s my experience with the Atlanta suburbs.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:09 PM

829 posts, read 451,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
https://novachamber.org/about-northern-virginia/

People here get into weird gatekeeping when it comes to NoVa borders but I will say most people in Fredericksburg don't want to be part of NoVa due to cultural and political differences. And when you visit there, aside from awful traffic and congested roads it doesn't really feel like Northern Virginia, they're very different. Honestly, Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania probably has more in common with the Atlanta suburbs than NoVa but I won't go there lol.
Depends what Atlanta suburbs you’re talking about. More like Atlanta exburbs though. Fredericksburg cannot compare to a place like Alpharetta.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:21 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd say Richmond feels more like North Jersey than NOVA does. It doesn't really look or feel like Jersey, but it has a post-industrial character that is more reminiscent of the Garden State than the McMansion Americana of Northern Virginia.

There's many parts of the country where you'll find far more McMansions than in Northern Virginia. For the simple reason that a huge % of people here could never afford a McMansion in Northern Virginia. More typical of NoVa sprawl are townhouse developments and condo/apartment complexes at this point.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:39 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
So, where does it start? Three different websites are saying Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania and north. It appears that we are trying to eliminate a portion of the region to sell an objective...lol
At least when I was growing up, the most common “unofficial” definition of Northern Virginia (NoVA) that most people I knew seemed to use was Arlington, Alexandria, Fall’s Church and all of Fairfax County. Even Loudon County was too far, though I think there was some wiggle room with that definition, as Ashburn and Dulles were usually accepted as being part of NoVA.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's many parts of the country where you'll find far more McMansions than in Northern Virginia. For the simple reason that a huge % of people here could never afford a McMansion in Northern Virginia. More typical of NoVa sprawl are townhouse developments and condo/apartment complexes at this point.
The preponderance of newish (2000-present) townhomes that you see in NoVA and in the DMV region in general is not like what you will find in Jersey. Having lived in Philly, I’ve seen a good number in South Jersey, and there’s just a much different look and feel to them. There’s far fewer to begin with, and the ones in Jersey are older. I can’t speak much on Northern NJ, but I’d guess they are much more urban and older in character. I’m guessing you would find that type of development much more in Greater Atlanta.

Basically, much of NoVA minus a few sections, is closer to Greater Atlanta in look and feel, and the remaining 75% of the state (land wise) is definitely closer to Georgia in look, feel, and culture. So overall, VA has more in common with Georgia and it’s not even close.

Old 06-27-2023, 04:26 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Depends what Atlanta suburbs you’re talking about. More like Atlanta exburbs though. Fredericksburg cannot compare to a place like Alpharetta.
Arlington or Alexandria isn’t comparable to Alpharetta either. Like most Atlanta suburbs, it’s nice but very car-centric.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:07 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd say Richmond feels more like North Jersey than NOVA does. It doesn't really look or feel like Jersey, but it has a post-industrial character that is more reminiscent of the Garden State than the McMansion Americana of Northern Virginia.
I haven’t spent too much time in Richmond but to me it resembles DMV and Baltimore. It’s central CA too not NOVA. You’re right tho—-NNJ has an industrial character to it that it is completely lacking in NOVA

Old 06-27-2023, 12:02 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Is there a way to see the names of the people who voted for NJ or GA?

Old 06-27-2023, 12:04 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Arlington or Alexandria isn’t comparable to Alpharetta either. Like most Atlanta suburbs, it’s nice but very car-centric.
Right, but the those three are quite affluent, compared to Fredericksburg. You'll also get a better bang for your buck in Alpharetta vs Arlington and Alexandria.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:35 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Is there a way to see the names of the people who voted for NJ or GA?
That setting has to be put in place at the onset of the thread/poll.

So in short, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City