Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Virginia - more in common with NJ or GA?
New Jersey 34 27.87%
Georgia 88 72.13%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 04:24 PM

829 posts, read 450,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
How does NOVA look more developed than North Atlanta when both areas have an abundance of newer development. Atlanta probably have more since it grows much faster and 15 years? Stop...
Because it simply is lol. NOVA has Arlington (Rosslyn, Ballston, Crystal City) and Alexandria and both are substantially more built up than North Atlanta. Granted it’s not necessarily fair since they’re right next to DC but they are still a part of NOVA. Besides that, there’s Reston, Tysons, Merrifield, Falls Church, etc. There’s also more heavy TOD and urbanization in NOVA than North Atlanta. Maybe 15 years was a stretch and could be 10 but NOVA is very clearly more urbanized than North Atlanta. And it’s not like it’s necessarily a bad thing too. Id much rather live in North Atlanta.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:02 PM

128 posts, read 71,905 times
Northern New Jersey also has suburban areas such as western Essex county, Union county, Morris county, and Passaic county. So I don't understand why people are assuming that North Jersey is all completely urban areas. Only Newark, Jersey City, and cities directly adjacent to NYC are fully urban. There are just as many suburban areas in North Jersey as Northern Virginia. I'll admit that North Jersey urban areas are larger in scope in terms of historic urban neighborhoods, but in terms of urban business districts they are probably pretty equal. Also outside of Northern Virginia in Atlanta which areas in Georgia are more similar to Virginia than New Jersey? I feel like rural areas are somewhat similar anywhere so I would like examples of the more developed areas of each state.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Because it simply is lol. NOVA has Arlington (Rosslyn, Ballston, Crystal City) and Alexandria and both are substantially more built up than North Atlanta. Granted it’s not necessarily fair since they’re right next to DC but they are still a part of NOVA. Besides that, there’s Reston, Tysons, Merrifield, Falls Church, etc. There’s also more heavy TOD and urbanization in NOVA than North Atlanta. Maybe 15 years was a stretch and could be 10 but NOVA is very clearly more urbanized than North Atlanta. And it’s not like it’s necessarily a bad thing too. Id much rather live in North Atlanta.
I only asked because I live in the DMV now and grew up in Cobb County. When I think of "development," I think of things that one place have that another doesn't. When I'm riding around North Atlanta (Alpharetta, Marietta, Kennesaw, Smyrna, Cumberland, Sandy Springs, Milton, Roswell, and Gwinnett County) I'm not seeing how NOVA is more developed, plus NOVA technically starts at Fredericksburg. Now, I'll give you the urbanized statement all day, but that's really only in Arlington and Alexandria. We also can't forget places like Woodbridge, Lorton, Springfield, Dumfries, etc...no one from Northern Atlanta is going to come to those places and think that they are more developed than their city.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:38 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
Northern New Jersey also has suburban areas such as western Essex county, Union county, Morris county, and Passaic county. So I don't understand why people are assuming that North Jersey is all completely urban areas. Only Newark, Jersey City, and cities directly adjacent to NYC are fully urban. There are just as many suburban areas in North Jersey as Northern Virginia. I'll admit that North Jersey urban areas are larger in scope in terms of historic urban neighborhoods, but in terms of urban business districts they are probably pretty equal. Also outside of Northern Virginia in Atlanta which areas in Georgia are more similar to Virginia than New Jersey? I feel like rural areas are somewhat similar anywhere so I would like examples of the more developed areas of each state.
Even so I’d argue that NOVA still isn’t more like North Jersey. What parts of NOVA resemble South Orange, Fort Lee, Clifton, Roselle, Short Hills, Livingston, Elizabeth, Montclair, Belleville etc. ?

Old 06-26-2023, 05:51 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,161,133 times
Roanoke or Columbus?

Old 06-26-2023, 06:20 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Even so I’d argue that NOVA still isn’t more like North Jersey. What parts of NOVA resemble South Orange, Fort Lee, Clifton, Roselle, Short Hills, Livingston, Elizabeth, Montclair, Belleville etc. ?
I'd say Richmond feels more like North Jersey than NOVA does. It doesn't really look or feel like Jersey, but it has a post-industrial character that is more reminiscent of the Garden State than the McMansion Americana of Northern Virginia.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:11 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
I only asked because I live in the DMV now and grew up in Cobb County. When I think of "development," I think of things that one place have that another doesn't. When I'm riding around North Atlanta (Alpharetta, Marietta, Kennesaw, Smyrna, Cumberland, Sandy Springs, Milton, Roswell, and Gwinnett County) I'm not seeing how NOVA is more developed, plus NOVA technically starts at Fredericksburg. Now, I'll give you the urbanized statement all day, but that's really only in Arlington and Alexandria. We also can't forget places like Woodbridge, Lorton, Springfield, Dumfries, etc...no one from Northern Atlanta is going to come to those places and think that they are more developed than their city.
LOL no it doesn't. Fredericksburg is not NoVa.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
LOL no it doesn't. Fredericksburg is not NoVa.
So, where does it start? Three different websites are saying Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania and north. It appears that we are trying to eliminate a portion of the region to sell an objective...lol

Old 06-26-2023, 08:26 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
So, where does it start? Three different websites are saying Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania and north. It appears that we are trying to eliminate a portion of the region to sell an objective...lol
Quote:
Northern Virginia is most frequently defined to include the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William and the independent cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Manassas and Manassas Park.
https://novachamber.org/about-northern-virginia/

People here get into weird gatekeeping when it comes to NoVa borders but I will say most people in Fredericksburg don't want to be part of NoVa due to cultural and political differences. And when you visit there, aside from awful traffic and congested roads it doesn't really feel like Northern Virginia, they're very different. Honestly, Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania probably has more in common with the Atlanta suburbs than NoVa but I won't go there lol.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
https://novachamber.org/about-northern-virginia/

People here get into weird gatekeeping when it comes to NoVa borders but I will say most people in Fredericksburg don't want to be part of NoVa due to cultural and political differences. And when you visit there, aside from awful traffic and congested roads it doesn't really feel like Northern Virginia, they're very different. Honestly, Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania probably has more in common with the Atlanta suburbs than NoVa but I won't go there lol.
Yeah, the Atlanta suburbs of Cartersville and Acworth. I agree lol...I just saw where locals don't include Fredericksburg but outsiders will...Says all that I need to know. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City