Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:05 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Vegas, Atlanta is a boring, bible belt city
Love Atlanta or hate it. This is just plain not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 08:10 AM

441 posts, read 227,049 times
Atlanta is cool, but if you're young and wanting to have fun Vegas all the way. Atlanta doesn't have 1/6 the nightlife Vegas has. Both cities have access to nature, but I prefer Vegas. Weather goes to Atlanta, although with Vegas you're close to LA

Old 07-12-2023, 09:47 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
I think people are interpreting the Strip as the end all be all for the social scene. Anyone who has ever been young in Vegas knows that Vegas outside of the VERY EXPENSIVE strip will find the social scene to be brutal there. The strip price gouges and if you’re a man may struggle in even getting into some of the scenes at the Strip. I’m a woman so I’ve never had issues but I’ve been in groups with guys who if it weren’t for me and my other girlfriends saying we wouldn’t go in without them were getting turned away because of “ratios”. Social scenes outside of the strip are usually more rundown, drug induced and are more house party oriented. The Strip has made it so where if anyone wanted to be part of a normal social scene and not the glamorized club heavy style that we associate with cities like Vegas and Miami has been erased since there’s only so much nightlife demand in any given area. OP needs to factor that in significantly if that appeals to them because if it doesnt they will find Vegas boring and repetitive as most get sick of the Strip eventually except people who love those environments. I have many friends that live there and I have gone to Vegas many times personally.

Cost of living is more expensive in Vegas also.

Marietta is a good suburb to live in for Atlanta it’s average priced, safe and has a very diverse food scene. I know this because I live in Marietta. Not the best as a 20s single person, coming from a person in their 20s and single, but it’s more family-oriented and places where there is more nightlife like the Battery are only a couple miles away. It’s not difficult to get to the scenes in Midtown or Downtown either.

Vegas is isolated from other cities as all Western cities are. The next closest city of any real impact is 4 hours away, granted that’s LA though so at least you get the 2nd best option in the US for a weekend city trip. Phoenix is also 4 hours away. Flying out of Vegas brings up the same issues you can fly to Denver, Seattle, Portland, SLC, SF. Atlanta 4 hours you can drive to Nashville. If I fly I can get to basically the entire Northeast Corridor (Boston to DC) within a span of 3 hours or so by plane. 2 hours or so to Chicago. 2 hours to South Florida. Since it’s Atlanta basically every city imaginable you can fly to from there with relative ease. Atlanta is a hub for a reason you can basically get to anywhere in the eastern half of the US in a couple of hours. Not that LAS doesn’t get flight demand it’s that costs shoot up significantly due to more distance traveled. Atlanta has NYC and Chicago and Miami (similar to Vegas for party scene) as weekend trips if you are willing to fly. In addition to that all the cities in between which is not insiginificanf. Out west there’s only a handful of places. The west makes up for this by having better nature access.

I’m not saying Atlanta is the better option but the OP should know if the Strip and it’s environment appeals to them. If it doesn’t, they will hate Las Vegas. Atlanta’s social scene is not nearly as polarizing and is a lot more laid back and relaxed. This has to do with the type of people that live in both metros.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:58 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Vegas

Old 07-12-2023, 10:05 AM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Atlanta is cool, but if you're young and wanting to have fun Vegas all the way. Atlanta doesn't have 1/6 the nightlife Vegas has. Both cities have access to nature, but I prefer Vegas. Weather goes to Atlanta, although with Vegas you're close to LA
This ^

Atlanta certainly isn’t boring. But Atlanta is a far reach from an exciting place like Vegas. Doesn’t make Atlanta better or worse. Just depends what you’re looking for.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:07 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Atlanta has a much more diverse economy and better job opportunities. Much better weather, the dry heat in Vegas is no joke. Vegas is close to the Grand Canyon and has better mountains than the North Georgia mountains but you have much better beaches near Atlanta in Destin/Panama City/Hilton Head. There is good Asian food in Vegas near the strip, and Atlanta has great Asian food along Buford Highway and in Duluth/Suwanee. There's a very large Korean community but the Chinese community is also growing (there are huge Chinese supermarkets). I believe the Great Wall Supermarket in Duluth is the largest Chinese supermarket in the US. Vegas will have better luxury shopping options, and you'll be close to LA but Atlanta is a short flight away from Chicago/NYC/Philly/DC/Miami and many other cities that I can usually get cheap flights from (Atlanta has the world's busiest airport and Delta's main hub with the hq). If I was 25, I would probably choose Midtown Atlanta (many Georgia Tech/Georgia State students live in the student housing in midtown with new buildings going up), but if you're into nightclubs, then Vegas would win out.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:10 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
He'd be in Marietta or at least commuting to Marietta though probably would want to stick pretty close to Marietta since it's a medical residency. I'd probably say Atlanta if it was Atlanta proper, but Marietta is very much the 'burbs and this guy is young. Weather-wise, I don't personally like either, but they are quite different from each other so I'd chalk that up to personal preferences.
This individual is going to make 60k a year. They aren’t going to live in the Strip or Downtown Las Vegas because they can’t afford to without roommates. You know where they are going to live? The Vegas suburbs. The west due to mostly resource conservation and smaller populations went with larger government bodies, larger states, larger counties, larger city boundaries. OP is likely to be just as far out as the Strip and Downtown Vegas as they are from Marietta to Atlanta. Look at Vegas on Google maps and drop pins on random parts in the greater Vegas area you will find that most of them will have a Las Vegas address. This is simply not true with Atlanta metro as Atlanta is very Balkanized with tons of small municipalities and counties. OP probably saw the two address of the hospitals for their residencies which Marietta covers not just Marietta proper but all of unincorporated Cobb County and for Las Vegas well the entire western half of the urbanized area has a Las Vegas mailing address and so does the majority of the NE part of it also.

So comparing Cobb County to approximately 80% of the Vegas area (trying to factor out Henderson and Boulder City) means Cobb is not really fair as at this point “Vegas” greatly outsizes City of Marietta and unincorporated Cobb County (there are other cities in Cobb with a different mailing address). OP is likely to end up in just the same sleepy suburban environment in Marietta as is Vegas. Do people honestly believe that all of Vegas is high energy neighborhoods and not sleepy suburbia? Vegas is still a sunbelt city you know.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:20 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This individual is going to make 60k a year. They aren’t going to live in the Strip or Downtown Las Vegas because they can’t afford to without roommates. You know where they are going to live? The Vegas suburbs. The west due to mostly resource conservation and smaller populations went with larger government bodies, larger states, larger counties, larger city boundaries. OP is likely to be just as far out as the Strip and Downtown Vegas as they are from Marietta to Atlanta. Look at Vegas on Google maps and drop pins on random parts in the greater Vegas area you will find that most of them will have a Las Vegas address. This is simply not true with Atlanta metro as Atlanta is very Balkanized with tons of small municipalities and counties. OP probably saw the two address of the hospitals for their residencies which Marietta covers not just Marietta proper but all of unincorporated Cobb County and for Las Vegas well the entire western half of the urbanized area has a Las Vegas mailing address and so does the majority of the NE part of it also.

So comparing Cobb County to approximately 80% of the Vegas area (trying to factor out Henderson and Boulder City) means Cobb is not really fair as at this point “Vegas” greatly outsizes City of Marietta and unincorporated Cobb County (there are other cities in Cobb with a different mailing address). OP is likely to end up in just the same sleepy suburban environment in Marietta as is Vegas. Do people honestly believe that all of Vegas is high energy neighborhoods and not sleepy suburbia? Vegas is still a sunbelt city you know.
Yes, my cousin lives in Henderson and it's sleepy suburbia. He says he goes to the strip once every few months. He was thinking about moving to Atlanta pre-covid because he loves all the greenery and trees but now he says he can't afford the spiking prices and high-interest rate for a mortgage.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:49 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

Most of the hospitals in the area are in the city proper, so it's pretty goshdarn likely that he is going to want to live close to work for that residency and he did say Las Vegas specifically when for the other option he said Marietta specifically instead of Atlanta. The city is also where he'll likely have cheaper, multifamily housing for rent and not the suburbs. A roommate is probably a great idea. I sincerely doubt he's going to be locating himself out in the suburbs and Vegas suburbs generally don't sprawl that far out anyways given the geography of the area where it's all contained within a valley. I know this because one of my childhood friends did his residency in Vegas (and someone who is a Chinese-American male of the OP's age at the time, wow!). Granted, I don't know Atlanta nearly as well, but Marietta is most certainly the burbs and it is not a particularly young or singles part of the area nor will it have much in East Asian dining or shopping--things the OP *very* explicitly mentioned.

In absolutely no part of my post did I say that I believed that all of Vegas is high energy neighborhoods. I didn't once mention the Strip which is sort of nice to have and maybe exciting every once in a while but that depends heavily on your own personality, budget, and time, but was not something the OP requested. I have no idea how you came to this conclusion and your response seems to signal that you did not actually read what the OP posted nor what I wrote. I'm usually on the side of "get out of America if you want good cities, because it's generally a gamut of mediocre to awful except for a few places that are usually very expensive". I myself would avoid both of these cities, but the OP has just these two options and his preferences might not match mine.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-12-2023 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-12-2023, 12:20 PM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
Las Vegas for sure. Not that it's the better city, but it's by far the better city for a young Asian person who isn't necessarily looking to move and stay there for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City