Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Regional Influence
Atlanta 41 30.83%
Boston 43 32.33%
Denver 49 36.84%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 05:26 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
This is the reason the thread is so divided. New England is a small defined region. Denver and Atlanta are in regions that have contentious definitions. Some people are going off strict regional boundaries. Others are going off how far the city's influence reaches while using different region boundaries or strictly ignoring regions and just going by radius of influence.
I get the fact that the regional limited weren't exactly defined. But that really isn't a concern of the original question.

If I had put the scenario out there:

There's 3 players on 3 different basketball teams, which player has a bigger impact on THEIR INDIVIDUAL team? One could be an NBA team, another a college team, and the last a high school team. The goal is not to compare which player is better. The question is, which has a bigger impact on their team?

So between these three cities, which has more of an impact on the region they exist in? The size of the region and even the population of the region is irrelevant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 06:57 AM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
If Boston didn’t exist, you’d still have NYC and Philly, plus the entire rest of the megalopolis/Northeast. Similarly, Atlanta is in another multipolar region down south. You could fall asleep in Atlanta and wake up in Charlotte and not necessarily know you’re somewhere else for a minute. There’s a multitude of other cities from the Texas Triangle all the way through the south which could take up its slack, and like the Northeastern cities, they tend to have a fairly similar layout and vibe. Denver, however, sits fairly alone out there with the nearest place of any similar stature being Salt Lake and ABQ, and although I love NM including ABQ, I don’t think it has quite the gravitas to “replace” Denver. So I’m going with Denver here.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:51 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I get the fact that the regional limited weren't exactly defined. But that really isn't a concern of the original question.

There's 3 players on 3 different basketball teams, which player has a bigger impact on THEIR INDIVIDUAL team? One could be an NBA team, another a college team, and the last a high school team. The goal is not to compare which player is better. The question is, which has a bigger impact on their team?

So between these three cities, which has more of an impact on the region they exist in? The size of the region and even the population of the region is irrelevant!
Boston is individually the most important city of the three in the smallest region of the 3.

It’s the clear and obvious answer. And Yet, it’s in 3rd.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
If Boston didn’t exist, you’d still have NYC and Philly, plus the entire rest of the megalopolis/Northeast. Similarly, Atlanta is in another multipolar region down south. You could fall asleep in Atlanta and wake up in Charlotte and not necessarily know you’re somewhere else for a minute. There’s a multitude of other cities from the Texas Triangle all the way through the south which could take up its slack, and like the Northeastern cities, they tend to have a fairly similar layout and vibe. Denver, however, sits fairly alone out there with the nearest place of any similar stature being Salt Lake and ABQ, and although I love NM including ABQ, I don’t think it has quite the gravitas to “replace” Denver. So I’m going with Denver here.
If Boston didn’t exist New England quite literally wouldn’t exist as a region. That is just not true of the South or Mountain west in regards to Atlanta or Denver

Old 08-07-2023, 07:56 AM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If Boston didn’t exist New England quite literally wouldn’t exist as a region. That is just not true of the South or Mountain west in regards to Atlanta or Denver
I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m a bit naive as to this New England thing. I think in terms of the entire northeast. I don’t exactly know what makes New England New England, other than because some people said these states are New England. Put another way, since I’m not from up here, the northeast as a whole is so different from my experience that I can’t pick out the nuances that make one distinct from the other.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:05 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
If Boston didn’t exist, you’d still have NYC and Philly, plus the entire rest of the megalopolis/Northeast.
None of that is in New England!

Quote:
I don’t exactly know what makes New England New England, other than because some people said these states are New England.
It doesn't matter what you think or what you understand. Accept that a region called "New England" exists, that it's formed by the 6 northeastern-most states in the US, and that the OP chose it as Boston's region and not the whole "northeast megalopolis" (which btw is a much faker and more contrived entity than New England).

Old 08-07-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m a bit naive as to this New England thing. I think in terms of the entire northeast. I don’t exactly know what makes New England New England, other than because some people said these states are New England. Put another way, since I’m not from up here, the northeast as a whole is so different from my experience that I can’t pick out the nuances that make one distinct from the other.
Quite obviously the political system in New England is quite distinct from the rest of the country. With towns having more or less complete control over affairs.

It’s the only region of the country where non-college Whites vote for Democrats.

The University Systems are intertwined. There is a Cable News Station that serves exclusively New England. They have one state fair collectively, about 90% of New England supports Boston teams.

DI college hockey is nearly non existent in the Mid-Atlantic while colleges like Quinnipiac, Providence or UML are really good at it in New England.

Just generally Winter Sports are a much bigger deal in New England than further south, even compared to NJ.

And when I Mean New England wouldn’t exist I mean quite literally Maine, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts would not be states and those 4 wouldn’t have been separate colonies if not for Boston. There’s a good chance Maine and NH would be in Canada if not for the puritans.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:15 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
I figured this was the issue. People dont understand New England in general.

Hartford/Connectciut was part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, (founded by people from Cambridge). As was Maine. As was New Hampshire. Rhode Island was founded by people coming from Boston as well. Ultimately none of these states would be what they are now except Vermont- the leat populous state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Bay_Colony
The lands of the settlement were in southern New England, with initial settlements on two natural harbors and surrounding land about 15.4 miles (24.8 km) apart—the areas around Salem and Boston, north of the previously established Plymouth Colony. The territory nominally administered by the Massachusetts Bay Colony covered much of central New England, including portions of Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, and Connecticut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford,_Connecticut
The English began to arrive in 1636, settling upstream from Fort Hoop near the present-day Downtown and Sheldon/Charter Oak neighborhoods.[20] Puritan pastors Thomas Hooker and Samuel Stone, along with Governor John Haynes, led 100 settlers with 130 head of cattle in a trek from Newtown in the Massachusetts Bay Colony (now Cambridge) and started their settlement just north of the Dutch fort.[21] The settlement was originally called Newtown, but it was changed to Hartford in 1637 in honor of Stone's hometown of Hertford, England. Hooker also created the nearby town of Windsor in 1633.[22] The etymology of Hartford is the ford where harts cross, or "deer crossing."

As the Puritan minister in Hartford, Thomas Hooker wielded a great deal of power; in 1638, he delivered a sermon that inspired the writing of the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut, which provided a framework for Connecticut's separation for Massachusetts Bay Colony and the formation of a civil government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island
Rhode Island was unique among the Thirteen British Colonies in having been founded by a refugee, Roger Williams, who fled religious persecution in the Massachusetts Bay Colony to establish a haven for religious liberty. He founded Providence in 1636 on land purchased from local tribes, creating the first settlement in North America with an explicitly secular government.[10] The Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations subsequently became a destination for religious and political dissenters and social outcasts, earning it the moniker "Rogue's Island."[11]

Again- not only this but by GDP, Population stats, and soft things like culture and sports teams... literally nothing but Boston is a logical answer.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Quite obviously the political system in New England is quite distinct from the rest of the country. With towns having more or less complete control over affairs.

It’s the only region of the country where non-college Whites vote for Democrats.

The University Systems are intertwined. There is a Cable News Station that serves exclusively New England. They have one state fair collectively, about 90% of New England supports Boston teams.

DI college hockey is nearly non existent in the Mid-Atlantic while colleges like Quinnipiac, Providence or UML are really good at it in New England.

Just generally Winter Sports are a much bigger deal in New England than further south, even compared to NJ.

And when I Mean New England wouldn’t exist I mean quite literally Maine, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts would not be states and those 4 wouldn’t have been separate colonies if not for Boston. There’s a good chance Maine and NH would be in Canada if not for the puritans.
Besides just the White voting progressive in rural and uneducated areas. new England shares other notable characteristics. Most of its black population-in all states is descended from recent Africans or Caribbean lineage. New England is the region of where Mexican Americans have the least footprint and where tropical, or afro-latinos of PR and DR make up the dominant group. Its also the region of the US most dominated by Italian Portuguese, and Irish Americans in terms of culture and politics. New York and NJ share some of these traits but none of them to the extent of (southern) New England.

The University systems all have reciprocal New England tuition rates. Intermediary tuition between In-State Tuition and regular tuition.

New England Board of Higher Education . Take one guess at where this is headquartered? its not New York City... 45 Temple Place, Boston Massachusetts 02111

NEBHE's Tuition Break, formerly known as the Regional Student Program (RSP), enables thousands of New England residents to enroll at out-of-state New England public colleges and universities at a discounted tuition rate.

We share one fair- the Big Exposition.

The Big E is America's Premier Exposition and world's only multi-state fair, representing all six New England States, with entertainment, unique foods...

Other small things all NAACP branches in New England are headquartered in the city of Boston except for Connecticut. But when the NAACP Convention came to Boston just now it held a party to benefit all regional youth chapters in all 6 New England States.

There are things like New England Recruiting Report, New England Football Journal, and Prep Zone is a website that handles high school recruiting. It lists 43 states and New England

Theres are high school athletic conferences based on New England like the NEPSAC and at he college level in the NESCAC.

The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) is an organization that serves as the governing body for sports in preparatory schools and leagues in New England.

The New England Small Collegiate Athletic Conference (NESCAC) is an American collegiate athletic conference comprising sports teams from eleven highly selective liberal arts institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States.

Founded in 1925, The New England Council is the nation’s oldest regional business organization.

The Council is a non-partisan alliance of businesses, academic and health institutions, and public and private organizations throughout New England formed to promote economic growth and a high quality of life in the New England region. The Council is headquartered in Boston, MA

Nowhere other than Boston makes sense in this thread. Not only did Boston found like 5 of the 6 states, and is headquarters to nearly everything New England.....New England's GDP is 1.14 trillion dollars in 2019. In 2016 the Boston CSA GDP was $583 Billion..... 52% of New England's total GDP is in Boston's CSA..Obviously, this is not the case for Denver and the Mountain West

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 08-07-2023 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-07-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post

For whatever reason people don't wanna hear this..
I have no idea how 38 people could read this and vote Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City