Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Regional Influence
Atlanta 41 30.83%
Boston 43 32.33%
Denver 49 36.84%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 01:08 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I recognize Boise as being in the Interior Northwest, along with eastern Washington and Oregon.

I can tell you've never been to either Denver or New Mexico. New Mexico and Colorado have a ton in common. If Wyoming forgot to wear a condom one drunken night with New Mexico, you'd have a Colorado 9 months later.

Utah is an anomaly in the region. You're just salty. I agree that it's between Boston and Denver, but New England is so small that people could easily get amenities in other cities.
Reasonably speaking what do people from Idaho go to Denver for? Like ever? How about Salt Lake City?

Like half of New England will go to Boston for a lunch date. The mountain west is super super sprawling, terrible interdigital infrastructure and most cities have basically no connection to each other as a result

Within 100 minutes of Boston is 70% of New England.

New Mexico is much more distinct from Colorado than RI is from Massachusetts, Utah is far more distinct from Colorado than NH is from Massachusetts, Idaho is much more distinct from Colorado than Maine is from Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 01:59 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
If Wyoming forgot to wear a condom one drunken night with New Mexico, you'd have a Colorado 9 months later.
This is quite the sentence you’ve typed here

Old 07-31-2023, 02:33 PM

638 posts, read 348,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Reasonably speaking what do people from Idaho go to Denver for? Like ever? How about Salt Lake City?

Like half of New England will go to Boston for a lunch date. The mountain west is super super sprawling, terrible interdigital infrastructure and most cities have basically no connection to each other as a result

New Mexico is much more distinct from Colorado than RI is from Massachusetts, Utah is far more distinct from Colorado than NH is from Massachusetts, Idaho is much more distinct from Colorado than Maine is from Massachusetts.
If you live in Idaho or Western Montana you won’t end up in Denver. If you had a serious medical issue there is a good chance you will end up in Seattle though. That’s why airlift northwest was created. If you live in SLC you are more likely to go to Boise than Denver. Boise and SLC have pretty strong connections.

I’m surprised Denver is leading this poll mainly because once you cross over past the front range Denver doesn’t really have much influence over the interior of the Rocky Mountain states outside of Colorado.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:42 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
If you live in Idaho or Western Montana you won’t end up in Denver. If you had a serious medical issue there is a good chance you will end up in Seattle though. That’s why airlift northwest was created. If you live in SLC you are more likely to go to Boise than Denver. Boise and SLC have pretty strong connections.

I’m surprised Denver is leading this poll mainly because once you cross over past the front range Denver doesn’t really have much influence over the interior of the Rocky Mountain states outside of Colorado.
Boise and SLC do have connections, but I would say Boise has stronger connections with Portland. Seems, based on my experience, if someone wants to go to a bigger city for the weekend, it's usually Portland with Seattle a close 2nd. The direct flights are less than an hour to both cities.

Eastern Idaho, the I-15 Corridor/Idaho Falls/Pocatello have a stronger connection to SLC (based on location) than Boise and Western Idaho.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:15 PM

638 posts, read 348,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise and SLC do have connections, but I would say Boise has stronger connections with Portland. Seems, based on my experience, if someone wants to go to a bigger city for the weekend, it's usually Portland with Seattle a close 2nd. The direct flights are less than an hour to both cities.

Eastern Idaho, the I-15 Corridor/Idaho Falls/Pocatello have a stronger connection to SLC (based on location) than Boise and Western Idaho.
I totally agree with you. Which your point pretty much reinforces what I just stated. Denver doesn’t have much influence over the Northern Rocky Mountain states..

SLC, Boise, Missoula etc…have no connection to Denver.

Old 07-31-2023, 05:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Las Vegas is literally the Mountain West. I mean it's surrounded by mountains, in the west and it's not as Latino as some more southwestern areas It's where the mountain west, southwest, and west coast meet.

Salt Lake City is 'nowhere near here' but the same region is my point. You cant say its nowhere near here when its the next largest big city adjacent to you then turn around and tell me how influential Denver is. The two do not mix.

East of Denver is agrarian as I was reminded by my Denver native tour guide when I spent a week out there. Obviously Breckenridge and Vaila arent agrarian. They also don't need Denver. Idk how influential it is for anyone other than those within 2 hours of Denver. The supermajority of the Mountain West does not need Denver, they just love the Broncos.

If Denver disappeared it'd just be another flat region before the Rockies. No major implications. I struggle to think of the area where Denver excels in a unique fashion like ATL does with Media or Boston does with Healthcare and education.

Denver and ATL.... you all have to start by trying to remove cities from the region artificially (ABQ, LV, SLC, Nashville, Tampa, New Orleans, Houston, Charlotte, Memphis, Orlando, Jacksonville).

New England does not have to do that.
I've never heard Las Vegas being in the mountain west until now. There was a huge thread where most people argued about Denver being a midwest city. I've always heard Las Vegas being reffered to as a SW or west coast city. Much more associated with LA and Phoenix than SLC or Denver.

The two do mix. No city influences another city 8 hours away.

East of Denver is not agrarian. I've driven into northeast, east, and southeast Colorado. You'll see some ranches but it's mostly nothing. Vail and Breck don't need Denver? If you thought about that for 30 seconds before you typed it, you wouldn't look so ridiculous. I work in Vail somewhat frequently, it most certainly relies on Denver. It wouldn't exist without it. Vail Resorts is headquarted in a Denver suburb, there are numerous shuttles directly to the mountain towns from Union Station or DIA, the traffic getting there is pretty well known on C-D, etc. I mean thats just wild to say something like that. Denver's influence goes further than 2 hours. No one in Albequrque "relies" on Denver, but Denver is certainly a precense in life there. The region is huge so I agree, yet there's no other option for such a huge part of the mountain west if it were to disappear. New England is so close to populated parts of the US and Canada.

Cheap dig huh? That doesn't matter. People who rely on Atlanta for something like the airport don't care about it's entertainment industry. People who rely on Denver don't care about its aerospace industry. Military technology is pretty unique, though.

Stop it already. Who is removing Albequrque and Charlotte?
Quote:

Nothing at all. Boise is an Interior Norwthwest city.

Yeah, those states are the size of counties. I don't consider Idaho part of this region - Wikipedia is never wrong.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
I've never heard Las Vegas being in the mountain west until now. There was a huge thread where most people argued about Denver being a midwest city. I've always heard Las Vegas being reffered to as a SW or west coast city. Much more associated with LA and Phoenix than SLC or Denver.

East of Denver is not agrarian. I've driven into northeast, east, and southeast Colorado. You'll see some ranches but it's mostly nothing. Vail and Breck don't need Denver? If you thought about that for 30 seconds before you typed it, you wouldn't look so ridiculous. I work in Vail somewhat frequently, it most certainly relies on Denver. It wouldn't exist without it. Vail Resorts is headquarted in a Denver suburb, there are numerous shuttles directly to the mountain towns from Union Station or DIA, the traffic getting there is pretty well known on C-D, etc. I mean thats just wild to say something like that. Denver's influence goes further than 2 hours. No one in Albequrque "relies" on Denver, but Denver is certainly a precense in life there. The region is huge so I agree, yet there's no other option for such a huge part of the mountain west if it were to disappear. New England is so close to populated parts of the US and Canada.

Cheap dig huh? That doesn't matter. People who rely on Atlanta for something like the airport don't care about it's entertainment industry. People who rely on Denver don't care about its aerospace industry. Military technology is pretty unique, though.

Yeah, those states are the size of counties. I don't consider Idaho part of this region - Wikipedia is never wrong.
Las Vegas was a city that relied in mining and ranching and again is smack in the middle of a massive mountain range.… I wouldn't call it a southwest city, super anglo in feel/history. Also when I said you could call it a west coast city in got yelled at in another thread.

I've stayed in Vail.. Seemed like a suuuper long Drive from Denver and it's so isolated I don't think it really need Denver the same way ski resorts in Vermont and Utah don't “need” SLC or NYC. It's famous- people will come. Like I did, from Boston.

Maybe if cities were closer to Denver its have more influence over more people. Obviously it's not as dominate over the mountain west as Boston is over new England, it's laughable. Honestly, it is. Just a mathematics reality…Way smaller metro in a much geographically larger region.

Also east of Denver absolutely is agrarian! You literally bunp into Watkins farm just east ofnaruroa and from there its mad farm land.

It's a million of these https://maps.app.goo.gl/huxixySGk64w5ryWA?g_st=ic

Old 07-31-2023, 06:28 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:

Almost the entirety of Idahos eastern border is the Continental divide.

This is the issue. People are shaping the region based on the cities influence. So what the Rickey mountain states are CO and WY and that’s it?

Old 07-31-2023, 07:27 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:

This is the issue. People are shaping the region based on the cities influence. So what the Rickey mountain states are CO and WY and that’s it?
https://www.google.com/search?q=moun...afari&hl=en-us

Nevada is almost always includes in mountain west. About 90% of the time:

Idaho usually is appear about 70% of the time.

Arizona and new mexico can be included.

Wyoming Utah Colorado and Montana are included 100% of the time.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Las Vegas was a city that relied in mining and ranching and again is smack in the middle of a massive mountain range.… I wouldn't call it a southwest city, super anglo in feel/history. Also when I said you could call it a west coast city in got yelled at in another thread.

I've stayed in Vail.. Seemed like a suuuper long Drive from Denver and it's so isolated I don't think it really need Denver the same way ski resorts in Vermont and Utah don't “need” SLC or NYC. It's famous- people will come. Like I did, from Boston.

Maybe if cities were closer to Denver its have more influence over more people. Obviously it's not as dominate over the mountain west as Boston is over new England, it's laughable. Honestly, it is. Just a mathematics reality…Way smaller metro in a much geographically larger region.

Also east of Denver absolutely is agrarian! You literally bunp into Watkins farm just east ofnaruroa and from there its mad farm land.

It's a million of these https://maps.app.goo.gl/huxixySGk64w5ryWA?g_st=ic
But today, is Las Vegas more like Denver and SLC, or is it more similar and connected to Los Angeles and Phoenix? There's a reason why the Raiders moved to Las Vegas.

I was in Vail today as well as 3 times last week. It's only 1.5 to 2 hours away. It's really not isolated, 40mins away is Silverthorne and Dillon. Then Idaho Springs, all right along I-70. Half of those condos are owned by people in metro Denver. Did you fly into DIA or Eagle County? I'd assume you flew into DIA.

I wouldn't claim it has as much dominance over the Mountain West as it does Boston does over New England. My argument is that New England's size hurts it. If there's no Boston, people in the area seem to have many more options within a much closer distance for city like amenities.

It's mostly ranches, 66% of agricultural cash receipts are for livestock: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...EXS1wMWwuXISrM

Quote:

I'm aware that the Rockies go through Idaho.

No. The Mountain West states (IMO) are Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, maybe eastern Idaho. But Idaho is commonly grouped into the PNW. And Boise is definitely more connected to Oregon and Washington. New Mexico is also a southwestern state.
Quote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=moun...afari&hl=en-us

Nevada is almost always includes in mountain west. About 90% of the time:

Idaho usually is appear about 70% of the time.

Arizona and new mexico can be included.

Wyoming Utah Colorado and Montana are included 100% of the time.
There's just as many pictures of Idaho being in the PNW. Arizona? Does the southwest not exist anymore?
Nevada may be a mountain west state, don't really care about that part of the argument, but is Las Vegas more connected to LA and Phoenix? Or nah? Still haven't gotten an answer to that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City