Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Regional Influence
Atlanta 41 30.83%
Boston 43 32.33%
Denver 49 36.84%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 12:52 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The New York CSA has 945,000 people who live in New England in it.

Not even counting cities within the most conservative possible definition of the Deep south (LA, MS, AL, GA, SC) like Birmingham, New Orleans, Columbia, Savannah, Etc.

Charlotte, Memphis and Jacksonville have that population eating away at the edges of the Deep South.

And if you have the nerve to consider a place like Arkansas the Deep South or maybe even Memphis, TN proper, it look real bleak for Atlanta.

Similarly the Rockies stretch thru Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, New Mexico and possibly AZ. Santa Fe, SLC, Bozeman, or Boise have nothing to do with Denver.

This is a rigged poll Boston is losing despite literally every single objective statistic pointing in its direction
Here are the Rocky Mountain states in alphabetical order:

Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming.

I agree with your comment and others in that Denver does not have "regional" influence outside of Colorado within the Rocky Mountain region, which is an incredibly vast area of the nation. Denver and CO in general are a long way from other large regional cities like Boise, nearly 900 miles away. I never hear anything about Denver or CO here in Boise. Boise is North West and is more connected to Portland, Spokane and even Seattle moreso than anywhere in Colorado. For instance, the local news stations in Boise are connected as "sister stations" with the greater Northwest news outlets including Northwest Cable News.

Denver's influence outside of CO is going to be in areas of Wyoming that are nearest the Front Range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 01:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post

I agree with your comment and others in that Denver does not have "regional" influence outside of Colorado within the Rocky Mountain region, which is an incredibly vast area of the nation. Denver and CO in general are a long way from other large regional cities like Boise, nearly 900 miles away. I never hear anything about Denver or CO here in Boise. Boise is North West and is more connected to Portland, Spokane and even Seattle moreso than anywhere in Colorado. For instance, the local news stations in Boise are connected as "sister stations" with the greater Northwest news outlets including Northwest Cable News.

Denver's influence outside of CO is going to be in areas of Wyoming that are nearest the Front Range.
Arizona? That seems pretty solidly southwest. Denver still has some "influence" in New Mexico and definitely Wyoming. I'd extend that to western Kansas, western Nebraska, and SW South Dakota. I have no idea what influence exactly means here but I don't think anyone does. I just know that I've met plenty of Dakotans on vacation while hanging out in Denver.

Boise isn't in the same region, it's a PNW or Interior Northwest more than it's a Mountain West city.

Old 07-28-2023, 01:52 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
So are people just working out from the city they picked? Defining the region based on an area that X city dominates? Like Idaho and New Mexico not being Mountain west or LA and SC only debatably being southern?

Old 07-28-2023, 02:08 PM

638 posts, read 348,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post

Agreed. Denver’s influence is pretty much limited to the front range.

Montana and Idaho have no connection to Denver as they are really Northwestern States with close ties to places like Spokane and even Seattle. The states covered by the Rockies is a pretty big area.

Old 07-28-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
So are people just working out from the city they picked? Defining the region based on an area that X city dominates? Like Idaho and New Mexico not being Mountain west or LA and SC only debatably being southern?
Not me. This is between Boston and Denver to me and Boston dominates it's entire region, but it's so small. If Boston ceased to exist, then there are close options from New England. If Denver ceased to exist, the closest large city would be 6-9 hours away by driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Agreed. Denver’s influence is pretty much limited to the front range.

Montana and Idaho have no connection to Denver as they are really Northwestern States with close ties to places like Spokane and even Seattle. The states covered by the Rockies is a pretty big area.
Depends on how you're looking at influence. I would argue that Denver's influence could go up to Rapid City, down to Albuquerque, and out to Grand Junction. If Montana and Idaho are really northwestern states, then why even bring them up?

Old 07-28-2023, 05:06 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not me. This is between Boston and Denver to me and Boston dominates it's entire region, but it's so small. If Boston ceased to exist, then there are close options from New England. If Denver ceased to exist, the closest large city would be 6-9 hours away by driving.

Depends on how you're looking at influence. I would argue that Denver's influence could go up to Rapid City, down to Albuquerque, and out to Grand Junction. If Montana and Idaho are really northwestern states, then why even bring them up?
yea but theres like no people there anyway. Colorado would justturn into Wyoming without Denver. its not like it has cities relying on it to keep from getting blighted a la Brockton Lawrence or Lynn. Maybe Aurora would suffer but thats it.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:13 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:

Bozeman MT is 1 minute closer to Denver than it is Seattle.

And what exactly is the big difference between a 6hr drive from Santa Fe to Denver vs a 7 hr drive to Phoenix?

The majority of Maine is actually further away from New York than any significant city is from Denver

Old 07-29-2023, 06:49 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
This is a tough call. I chose Atlanta simply because of its size and growth in a region that has been growing. But Boston could be easily argued because it dominates its region more than Atlanta does in my view and Denver is the only "major league" city for hundreds of miles (which used to be somewhat true of Atlanta). Very good thoughts and post, I don't think any other city dominates their region to the extent of these 3 except maybe Phoenix (without the presence of Portland I might say Seattle as well).

Old 07-29-2023, 11:19 AM

638 posts, read 348,959 times
Quote:

I didn’t bring them up. Someone mentioned Idaho and parts of Montana being closer in connection to Seattle. And I agree with them. Denver”s influence doesn’t really reach much into Idaho and Montana.

Old 07-29-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
yea but theres like no people there anyway. Colorado would justturn into Wyoming without Denver. its not like it has cities relying on it to keep from getting blighted a la Brockton Lawrence or Lynn. Maybe Aurora would suffer but thats it.
Kind of but Colorado Springs is by far much larger than Cheyenne. Colorado Springs would definitely suffer for a while.
Quote:
Bozeman MT is 1 minute closer to Denver than it is Seattle.

And what exactly is the big difference between a 6hr drive from Santa Fe to Denver vs a 7 hr drive to Phoenix?

The majority of Maine is actually further away from New York than any significant city is from Denver
I'm not sure about Albuquerque and Denver vs Phoenix but New Mexicans seem like the biggest group of transplants in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City