Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 05:24 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
The OP initial post states:
"Which large cities have the most abrupt transition from downtown high rises to SFH's?"

Every city absolutely has to transition from high-rises to less dense residential/mixed use development, but I would disagree that every city transitions "quickly" and definitely as to primarily sfh's. If you change the thread to include all transitions, including to urban housing stock like attached row homes, multifamily, etc, aren't you making the thread a catch all?
No, you would be highlighting some neat shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 05:24 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Really beautiful areas.
Especially the 1st link.

Is good to see as everything is brown here
To me, the equally interesting thing about Bellevue is that its big-city downtown ringed by suburbia got grafted onto a small-town/typical suburban Main Street:

Main Street, Bellevue, WA

Old 08-28-2023, 05:29 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
The OP initial post states:
"Which large cities have the most abrupt transition from downtown high rises to SFH's?"

Every city absolutely has to transition from high-rises to less dense residential/mixed use development, but I would disagree that every city transitions "quickly" and definitely as to primarily sfh's. If you change the thread to include all transitions, including to urban housing stock like attached row homes, multifamily, etc, aren't you making the thread a catch all?
Well, if you want to be technical about it, rowhouses are still SFH's. Only one family lives in each one.

I do, however, understand your assumption that "SFH" automatically means "detached," since SFHs in every US city save two (Philadelphia and Baltimore) are almost exclusively freestanding. (Actually, New York City and Washington also have a sizable stock of rowhouse (or "townhouse" for the status-conscious) SFHs. But they still make up less than 50 percent of the housing stock in both, while in Philly and Baltimore, they account for a majority of SFRs.)

Old 08-28-2023, 07:59 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,451 times
Toronto

Old 08-28-2023, 08:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No, you would be highlighting some neat shots.
I disagree. It is clear that the OP was looking for a city that jumps from high density to low ones in the blink of an eye.

Row houses are not low density and Philly is a horrible example of a city going from high density to low density quickly. Philly has a large dense urban core and is one of the top 3 in the country.

Any reasonable reading of the text in the original post would lead one to conclude that the OP isn't looking for the regular dense downtown discussion. That has been done and redone and talked about on here everyday.

It has changed a lot, but Vegas was one of the quickest transitions I have seen.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uSEWdx9KstXrmreG7

From both downtown and the strip

Old 08-28-2023, 08:57 AM

188 posts, read 127,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Row houses are not low density and Philly is a horrible example of a city going from high density to low density quickly.
While rowhomes aren't low density the transition in Philly is impressive. It's abrupt in that it's a sea of rowhomes against a wall of highrises. The video i posted shows it pretty well.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Toronto
Definitely
https://earth.app.goo.gl/ZQG66A

Old 08-28-2023, 09:37 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, if you want to be technical about it, rowhouses are still SFH's. Only one family lives in each one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
Is that the context for the thread though? If it is, fine, but kind of limiting the discussion in my opinion. In my mind a single family home is a structure where a single family lives/occupies the whole structure, which would include rowhomes. I think it's kind of interesting how fast Philadelphia transitions from highrises to rowhomes, particularly in south Philly. Makes for some pretty cool roof deck views too. And Philadelphia has a pretty high % of sfh ownership. I think this Washington post chart may have been shared in other threads:

This video shows the transition pretty well at 3:30
https://youtu.be/1bJ1VvVpj74?si=yCxrdcdtvTeXru6I
Most row homes in Baltimore (not sure about Philly) are not singular freestanding structures. The entire “row” or block is technically one building in the sense that the row homes share structural elements (the side wall) for support.

Hence why demoing is so expensive and you can’t just knock “one” down and call it day.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:02 AM

I mean i guess the same logic would apply to Philly too, but people have and do knock one down and call it a day (unfortunately), so it can't be that restrictive. I'm not in the construction biz though so don't know. I still think it's silly to exclude whole cities from the conversation just because they don't include a bit of air between each home/don't adhere to the common conception of what a sfh is.

Last edited by skintreesnail; 08-28-2023 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-28-2023, 10:35 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
Is that the context for the thread though? If it is, fine, but kind of limiting the discussion in my opinion. In my mind a single family home is a structure where a single family lives/occupies the whole structure, which would include rowhomes. I think it's kind of interesting how fast Philadelphia transitions from highrises to rowhomes, particularly in south Philly. Makes for some pretty cool roof deck views too. And Philadelphia has a pretty high % of sfh ownership. I think this Washington post chart may have been shared in other threads:

This video shows the transition pretty well at 3:30
https://youtu.be/1bJ1VvVpj74?si=yCxrdcdtvTeXru6I

I wonder how that's changes since 2015 when that was posted. I expect that Seattle with its growth spurt, lots of redevelopment including on formerly SFH detached lots, and fairly small city limits will have had some notable shifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City