Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 01:05 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
So we all agree, Chicago-Miami?
... for their massive skylines, absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 01:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Atlanta to Minneapolis for sure.

Both delta hubs, on a river, small populations relative to metro population, strong F500 presence
What river is Atlanta on?

Old 09-30-2023, 01:20 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Atlanta and Detroit would be a really strong comparison had Detroit not collapsed. Both have been huge centers of black culture, especially music, but in different generations, with Detroit having a larger peak and Atlanta having a longer run. Both had their boom years during the auto age (Detroit created the auto age), but 5 or so decades apart, which is reflected in their built form.

Old 09-30-2023, 02:28 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
What river is Atlanta on?
The Chatahoochee

Old 09-30-2023, 03:09 PM

541 posts, read 556,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
The Chatahoochee
Atlanta's on the Chattahoochee like Birmingham's on the Cahaba. AKA: not really. The river's more associated with the suburbs than the urban core. When most people talk about river cities, the river goes through or right next to downtown.

Old 09-30-2023, 03:25 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
Atlanta's on the Chattahoochee like Birmingham's on the Cahaba. AKA: not really. The river's more associated with the suburbs than the urban core. When most people talk about river cities, the river goes through or right next to downtown.
This is true. But the previous poster just stated that both cities were on a river. Not that both cities are river cities. Even though the Mississippi runs right through Minneapolis adjacent to downtown, some people still don't consider Minneapolis to be a river city either.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:32 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
What other major southern city is on the water with beaches? With massive skylines? They're also both big tourist destinations (The other big 3 southern cities, Atl, Dallas, and Houston aren't, lets be honest). They also both have big hispanic populations. Both have rivers in the middle of their downtown.
Chicago has small beaches facing a lake front. Miami has an entire Island City full of beaches and an entire entertainment district in walking distance from the Beaches. Miami Beach is in no way comparable to the beaches in Chicago.

Yeah Chicago and Miami have big Hispanic populations but Miami's Hispanic population is the face of it's city and it's brand. Hispanics in Chicago are pretty much an afterthought when most people visit the city. Honestly I really can't recall running into too many Hispanics the last time I visited Chicago. A few but not a lot. Chicago might be more like DFW in that regard. I think it's a huge stretch even comparing Chicago and Miami's Hispanic population too. The fact that Chicago has 2.2 million Hispanics yet I saw only a few in some of the most popular areas of the city says a lot. As soon as I got off the plane in Miami it was overwhelmingly Hispanics. And it was everywhere. Some places felt like I was in Latin America because nobody speak English. Chicago very much felt like America. I probably heard more European tourist than I did Spanish speakers. Not to mention Chicago is primarily Mexican while Miami's largest Hispanic nationality is Cuban which is completely different.

Racially, DFW and Chicago are closer to each other than Chicago is with Miami.

Both have tons of skylines but both give off a completely different vibe and use.
Both are big tourist destinations but for different reasons.
Both have rivers in the middle of downtown but both give off 2 completely different vibes especially considering Chicago is more of a tourist draw in it's downtown in comparison to Miami. Especially where the river runs.

Old 10-01-2023, 02:19 PM

441 posts, read 227,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Chicago has small beaches facing a lake front. Miami has an entire Island City full of beaches and an entire entertainment district in walking distance from the Beaches. Miami Beach is in no way comparable to the beaches in Chicago.

Yeah Chicago and Miami have big Hispanic populations but Miami's Hispanic population is the face of it's city and it's brand. Hispanics in Chicago are pretty much an afterthought when most people visit the city. Honestly I really can't recall running into too many Hispanics the last time I visited Chicago. A few but not a lot. Chicago might be more like DFW in that regard. I think it's a huge stretch even comparing Chicago and Miami's Hispanic population too. The fact that Chicago has 2.2 million Hispanics yet I saw only a few in some of the most popular areas of the city says a lot. As soon as I got off the plane in Miami it was overwhelmingly Hispanics. And it was everywhere. Some places felt like I was in Latin America because nobody speak English. Chicago very much felt like America. I probably heard more European tourist than I did Spanish speakers. Not to mention Chicago is primarily Mexican while Miami's largest Hispanic nationality is Cuban which is completely different.

Racially, DFW and Chicago are closer to each other than Chicago is with Miami.

Both have tons of skylines but both give off a completely different vibe and use.
Both are big tourist destinations but for different reasons.
Both have rivers in the middle of downtown but both give off 2 completely different vibes especially considering Chicago is more of a tourist draw in it's downtown in comparison to Miami. Especially where the river runs.

Hispanics are the biggest racial group in Chicago despite what you seen.

Chicago has one singular long skyline, like Miami. Dallas is polycentric like Houston, Atlanta, LA, etc.

Dallas is a tourist destination? Please be forreal...ain't nobody vacationing in damn Dallas.

The Trinity River in Dallas is a joke. Looks like a creek going through a drought. The Miami and Chicago Rivers actually go through the city and are large.

I'm not saying Dallas doesn't have similarities to Chicago, but I think if we're talking midwest/south, Chicago is closer to Miami

Old 10-01-2023, 02:55 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Birmingham AL and Toledo OH

Population and skylines are similar

Both have considerable industrial roots and a larger than expected cultural arts scene

Both have a sizable university and extensive healthcare options

Both are overlooked regionally by neighboring MSAs

Old 10-01-2023, 03:31 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I could sort of see Buffalo --- blue-collar industrial town on the water that's (now) seeing some decent growth; in a state with multiple major cities.
I know Buffalo isn’t Midwest but I don’t see that match either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City