Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 09:43 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Hispanics are the biggest racial group in Chicago despite what you seen.

Chicago has one singular long skyline, like Miami. Dallas is polycentric like Houston, Atlanta, LA, etc.

Dallas is a tourist destination? Please be forreal...ain't nobody vacationing in damn Dallas.

The Trinity River in Dallas is a joke. Looks like a creek going through a drought. The Miami and Chicago Rivers actually go through the city and are large.

I'm not saying Dallas doesn't have similarities to Chicago, but I think if we're talking midwest/south, Chicago is closer to Miami
Pay attention, I was talking about Miami and Chicago since YOU MENTIONED RIVERS AND TOURIST DESTINATIONS. You brought that up. I know you thought I was talking about DFW because I mentioned it before my last 4 sentences but I only brought up DFW when speaking about racial demographic of both cities. Nothing more.

Now with that said, Hispanics ARE NOT THE BIGGEST RACIAL GROUP in Chicago. Not in the city of Chicago and not in the metropolitan area of Chicago.

In the city of Chicago Whites make up 33.09% of the population while Hispanics make up 28.7% of it.
In the metro there are 4.7 million Whites in Chicago msa, while Hispanics account for 2.2 million in the entire MSA. Hispanics account for 23% of Chicago's MSA.

In the city of Miami Whites only make up 11.43% of the population while Hispanics make up 72.35% of it's city population.
In the metro there are 1.7 Whites in Miami MSA, while Hispanics account for 2.8 and account for 46% of Miami's MSA.
Nowhere near in the same ballpark or discussion when it comes to Hispanics.

Miami is like a Latin American city in the United States. Despite Chicago having a Hispanic population over 2 million nobody looks at as a gateway to Latin America. Even with notable predominately Mexican and Puerto Rican neighborhoods within their region it's still nowhere comparable to Miami.

The skylines and both being tourist destinations are about the only comparisons both have. Everything is a mighty long stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 11:13 PM

829 posts, read 450,537 times
I think the downtown areas of Miami and Chicago look more similar with the waterfronts and rivers with bridges. I also think downtown Miami and Brickell have a similar relationship to the way the loop and river north operate. Both cities have long and big skylines as well (though Miami’s is still a good bit smaller). With that being said that’s where the similarities end.

DFW on the other hand looks very different from Chicago in the sense that it’s poly centric and not really as urban as Chicago or even Miami, but in terms of functionality DFW is much more similar. Both have uber-diverse economies and are big logistics hubs. Both have a large corporate presence. They’re both major airline hubs (both are AA hubs and Chicago is also United hub). They both are much more demographically similar and evenly distributed in comparison to Miami. Both cities are much more passionate about their sports teams whereas this isn’t as true in Miami (at least to the same degree). Their COL and salaries are closer.

All in all, in terms of looks, Miami is more similar but in terms of function I would have to give it to DFW

Old 10-02-2023, 08:46 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Houston and Detroit have always seemed connected. Auto and gas/oil industry are a natural connection. Also, Houston is loaded with Detroit transplants. I'm guessing more from Detroit than any other Midwest metro.

Minneapolis St Paul seems more like Austin than any other major metro in the Midwest as no other Midwest city is as progressive/liberal as Austin. State capitals and flagship location of large state run universities. Austin is loaded with MSP transplants. I seem to run into more people from MSP in Austin than any other city in the Midwest.
Uhhhh, Chicago?

Old 10-02-2023, 09:43 AM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Uhhhh, Chicago?
Is Chicago that liberal though?

Old 10-02-2023, 09:58 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Miami is a very international city while Chicago is super American. That alone puts Miami and Chicago away from each other in comparison.

Comparing Chicago and Miami is like comparing Columbus and El Paso. The feel that makes the city the city is just too far apart. In this regard DFW might be a better fit.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:09 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Miami is a very international city while Chicago is super American. That alone puts Miami and Chicago away from each other in comparison.

Comparing Chicago and Miami is like comparing Columbus and El Paso. The feel that makes the city the city is just too far apart. In this regard DFW might be a better fit.
Chicago is still pretty international though. It might not have as big of a Latin presence but it is more European based. It has large communities of French, Italian, Greek, Polish, German and plenty others. I think the Middle Eastern population is large too.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:27 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Chicago is still pretty international though. It might not have as big of a Latin presence but it is more European based. It has large communities of French, Italian, Greek, Polish, German and plenty others. I think the Middle Eastern population is large too.
I think that's Detroit. Or maybe Detroit has the largest Arab population. I do tend to agree that the Miami-Chicago comparisons aren't there. More superficial than anything. The pro arguments I've seen are the same things people say about Houston-Los Angeles. Demographically, Chicago and Miami are nothing alike. Miami has a more diverse Latino and Black population. Chicago also has a much larger Asian presence than Miami. Chicago maybe more American but Miami is more of the Americas. A linear skyline along a beach or water are the only similarities these two have.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:31 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Uhhhh, Chicago?
Yep, and not just Chicago either.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:44 AM

994 posts, read 779,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Birmingham AL and Toledo OH

Population and skylines are similar

Both have considerable industrial roots and a larger than expected cultural arts scene

Both have a sizable university and extensive healthcare options

Both are overlooked regionally by neighboring MSAs
Birmingham-Toledo is definitely a better match than Birmingham-Cleveland.

I put out Birmingham-Cleveland because it was the only one I could think of for Cleveland. But maybe you can then match Charlotte and Cleveland.

•*I-77 link
•*Similar metro/regional populations (Charlotte's CSA is nearly identical, for now, to the seven-county Cleveland-Akron MSA(s) ... and if growth trends remain similar, Charlotte's CSA will surpass 3 million and come closer to Cleveland's 3.6 million CSA population).
•*Very similar skylines ... tallest building in each are cousins of each other and while Charlotte has added a lot over the past decade, Cleveland has added 5 of more than 300 feet in that span, which outside of Chicago, Minneapolis and maybe Milwaukee is, I believe, more than any other MW city.
•*Charlotte has become a popular destination city for people from Northeast Ohio (both blacks and whites).

Other than that, the cities are way different, though.

Also, I'm assuming Baltimore isn't being included in the South. If you add them, Cleveland (and Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee) would all match with Baltimore more than any other Southern city.

Old 10-02-2023, 12:02 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think that's Detroit. Or maybe Detroit has the largest Arab population. I do tend to agree that the Miami-Chicago comparisons aren't there. More superficial than anything. The pro arguments I've seen are the same things people say about Houston-Los Angeles. Demographically, Chicago and Miami are nothing alike. Miami has a more diverse Latino and Black population. Chicago also has a much larger Asian presence than Miami. Chicago maybe more American but Miami is more of the Americas. A linear skyline along a beach or water are the only similarities these two have.
Detroit has more but Chicago's has a good amount. It was tough to match Chicago. Miami for the skyline but in some ways Houston as well, or even Atlanta or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City